Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-in-one PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭satguy

A 23 or 24 inch screen is very small, and I see people with Touchscreens that never touch them, as mouse a keyboard is better.

There are one or two sellers on Adverts that have nearly 400 positive feedback, and would be happy to fix you up with a nice New PC.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/desktops/492/

Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Assuming you dont need a touch screen, Intel NUCs are mountable on the back of most monitors with a kit, so long as they are VESA compatible. For instance you could get a 4k monitor like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-27UD58-Monitor-3840x2160-HDMI/dp/B01JM4E1ZE/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1503764733&sr=1-9

And get a NUC to mount on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

RosieP wrote: »
    ...Looking for something for general email, social media, online browsing, playing YouTube videos etc. Don't need any gaming features in it.

...kind of like the neatness of the all-in-one PCs.

If you can find one, you'd save a lot of money on something like the Acer Chromebase. Not very common here, but one to consider.
    It's basically a Chromebook, but in an all-in-one format.

I'm using an older LG one right now, with 8GB of RAM rather than the original 2GB, and it flies along for all of those tasks. It's also neat, quiet and has a HDMI port to plug in another PC/DVD/Android Box or whatever, so it's a general monitor too. It's been my most commonly used machine for nearly 3 years now, and no sign of slowing down. My LG is only 22", but the Acer one if you can spot it is 24".

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

Thanks for the advice all, really appreciate it.
    Will look into those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

RosieP wrote: »
    Hi guys

I need to replace my ancient desktop PC which has practically ground to a halt.
    Looking for something for general email, social media, online browsing, playing YouTube videos etc. Don't need any gaming features in it.

I was looking at these PCs online, kind of like the neatness of the all-in-one PCs.
    Any opinions on whether they're any good?

HP 24-e030na 23.8", 2TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i3 - €719.99
    http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/hp-24e030na-238-allinone-pc-white/344329/401.2.1

HP Pavilion 24-b209na 23.8", 2TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Touchscreen, AMD A9-9410, Graphics AMD Radeon R5 - €899.99
    http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/hp-pavilion-24b209na-238-allinone-pc/342237/401.2.1

Thanks

Given your stated use case, which is light, it sounds more like what you need is a reinstall of the operating system.
    Have you considered that as your first option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

Given your stated use case, which is light, it sounds more like what you need is a reinstall of the operating system.
    Have you considered that as your first option?

PC is over 10 years old and very slow (could switch it on, go make a cup of coffee & it's still only starting up!), running Windows Vista. Think it might be time to splash out on a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could try hibernating instead of a full shutdown, or sleep mode. Also check out whats automatically starting up on boot. Give it a good cleanup with Ccleaner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nathanq

I would Get more ram and do a reinstall to windows 7 because windows vista is a really bad operating system, Windows 7 is a Better operating system, in my oppinion its the best well better then windows 10 and 8.

Advertisement