Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train from Cork to Killarney

Options
  • 26-08-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Now that i am in advancing years and find the car trip to Killarney rather tiring i was thinking of trying the train for short breaks there. I notice the 8,55 am is the quickest with no change. Just wondering if there is any other angle is should consider. I am aware of the location of the Killarney station.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Even where you have to change at Mallow, you are usually changing across the central platform - no lifts, stairs or bridges needed. There is a single step up into the train.

Cork-Tralee and Mallow-Tralee trains probably don't have catering and will sometimes use commuter trains. Some individual trains can be quite busy, so arrive in good time.

You can buy tickets online or at the station. If you have free travel, you can still reserve a seat on trains where reservations are taken - this can be useful if travelling in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Much prefer getting the train to the bus. Used to get it when I was in college. The bus journey is not the most comfortable.

Sometimes you can be in Mallow for ages so try get the direct route. If you haven't got free travel I advise booking online. 10 euro each way unless you are booking on the day of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Sometimes you can be in Mallow for ages so try get the direct route.
    Yes, most of the return trains have a 40 minute wait in Mallow.

Advertisement