Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football and Kerry...

• 26-08-2017 9:33pm

...surely the Kerry forum should have some thread dedicated to the place of Gaelic Football in the county?

Anyway, today's poor show and the probable retirement of Star got me thinking. What does football mean for you? Are the posters of the Golden Years teams over your mantelpiece? Do you analyse the tradition and does it fill you with pride? Or do you wonder why so much emphasis is placed on it and think it might be at the expense of other sports here...that it's all a bit too much? What are your football stories?

We were blow ins. While my parents were brought up in Tralee, most of the older siblings grew up in Cork city where my parents had moved before returning in the early 70s. Me and a sister are the only 2 full blooded Kerry people, out of 7 children. So grew up in a house of soccer fans, having little "connection" with the Kerry team. Was never into the football thing growing up, played it a lot as a teenager but gave it up early in life. And regret that.

But have to say, as a native of the Iveragh Peninsula, one thing I always admire is the sheer artistry of the footballers it generates. I've only heard about Mick O'Connell and Mick O'Dwyer second hand. But I was lucky enough to see Jack O'Shea and Maurice FitzGerald in their prime. Whenever I'm asked where I'm from, I say South Kerry, and within a few sentences the name of Maurice Fitz comes up. And for some ridiculous reason, it makes me feel proud that I come from the same peninsula as the most stylish, beautiful player the game has ever seen. He cruised through games, it was almost like watching ballet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I don't have any football stories as such, I have seen Maurice Fitzgerald play as well as most of the top players of the eighties and nineties.

In my honest opinion Star retiring is probably a good idea for the future of the game as I don't think he is/was the type of player who would encourage parents to get their kids involved in GAA, especially when there is so much choice of sports available for kids these days.

That's just my opinion and I know a lot of people will not agree with it, I wouldn't have been a big Paul Galvin supporter either, but there you go.

Really looking forward to the hurling final, hopefully it will be as exciting and sporting as previous finals.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

In my honest opinion Star retiring is probably a good idea for the future of the game as I don't think he is/was the type of player who would encourage parents to get their kids involved in GAA, especially when there is so much choice of sports available for kids these days.

That's just my opinion and I know a lot of people will not agree with it, I wouldn't have been a big Paul Galvin supporter either, but there you go.

Always liked Donaghy, he is charismatic.

Not a huge fan of Galvin at club level. And then he'd pull on the green and gold...and loved him! One of the most influential players of the 00s, not the most technically gifted but redefined the role of the wing forward.

They were great servants for this county, gave their all for that jersey, and gave us a lot of great memories. Would love to see Star add one more All Ireland, one last hurrah before he rides into the sunset. Hope he stays around, think he'd be a great influence in blooding some of the minors, you just know he'd be first in to protect them if they were getting any aggro from battle hardened rivals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Well done to the minor team on their win today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Amazing display by the minors-- especially David Clifford. A wonderful, natural talent. Scored 4-04 and created even more, but its a team effort in the end. 4 in a row and the last Minor title in the current system. There's great hope for the future.

Always sad when the football/hurling season finishes in September. No Sunday afternoon matches to watch, no Sunday Game and Terrace Talk will start to wind down after the county finals. Autumn is really here ....

Fair play to the Kerry Minors today for a mammoth team performance. David Clifford stood out like a shining light and was again a pleasure to watch, he plays the game the way it is meant to be played and with a maturity beyond his years.

I don't think I've even seen him give away a free never mind lose discipline, I know it's early days yet in his career and it's been said thousands of times but he looks like the complete package.

There's a lot of talk these days in GAA circles about the 'Dark Arts' and personally speaking I think anyone referring to cheating/fouling/verbally abusing/assaulting another player as dark arts is setting the future of the game back by giving the impression these things are all part and parcel of our game. There should be no room in our game for this dirty cowardly behaviour and it should not be tolerated at any level.

There are no 'dark arts', you either play the game properly or you cheat. I've seen guys being assaulted at mickey mouse junior games and the ball wasn't within 50 yards of them, I'm talking about the kind of stuff that would result in a prison sentence if it were carried out on a public street. No club should allow any member with a history of this carry on to remain a member, simple as that. Top players should lead by example.

I'm not saying wrap everyone in cotton wool but stop making excuses for thugs. David Clifford was a sight to behold throughout the game and particularly how he took that second goal. He's teak tough which you need to be at his level but he has the added touch of class in that he can take the rough and tumble and just get on with it without looking for retribution.

Hopefully the rumour I heard that he's a bit of a home bird and doesn't like to travel is true. However if he does decide to try another sport in another country I'd be the first to wish him the best of luck and financial success.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Any final figure on how much Colm Cooper donated to charites after his much publicised dinner dance?

There seems to be contrasting reports and a lot of animosity aimed in his direction even from some high profile "Kerry Greats".

Colm deserves every euro he got in my opinion, I hope it was a success for the charities and Kerry GAA too.

Looks like it's going to be a long winter lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Not to worry - :) An Gaeltacht are in the intermediate club competition still - they play Moy of Tyrone (Seán Cavanaghs club) in January's semi final though, so we'll see how that goes....
    First of all they have to survive the west kerry final against Dingle tomorrow at 2pm, in case anyone wants light relief after Other Voices. There's no love lost there I can tell you ...

lottpaul wrote: »
    Not to worry - :) An Gaeltacht are in the intermediate club competition still - they play Moy of Tyrone (Seán Cavanaghs club) in January's semi final though, so we'll see how that goes....
    First of all they have to survive the west kerry final against Dingle tomorrow at 2pm, in case anyone wants light relief after Other Voices. There's no love lost there I can tell you ...

Some craic in Dick Mack's yesterday!

Advertisement