Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lomachenko v Rigondeaux. Dec 9th

Options
  • 26-08-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭

This would be a good antidote to the inevitable Mayweather v McGregor freakshow shite that will be hitting the screen later on tonight (and hopefully forgotten soon after).

If it happens, I'd actually look forward to it more than GGG vs Canelo.

I think I'd have to put my money on Lomachenko. Rigo's skill is sublime but I think Lomachenko takes it. He has the aggressiveness and workrate that Rigo hasn't really ever inspired. That's even before you start taking into account size or age

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20401308/vasyl-lomachenko-guillermo-rigondeaux-camps-close-deal-dec-9-fight

Edit: Sorry. Realised it was already mentioned on other thread. Mods feel free to delete thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

pac_man wrote: »
    I was going to direct them to a new thread so I'll leave it open.

I'm not feeling the love for this fight as much as I should. I know that kinda sounds strange but I'd hate to see Rigo flattened and stopped because he's giving too much away.For someone that can make 118 but this fight will more than likely be @130, it just doesn't sit well with me. Loma is simply too big.

I fully understand what you are saying. I'd to would love to have seen Rigo performing on a proper platform - getting regualr meaningful fights and exposure.
    In some ways it might seem like a waste or sacrifice to go down this road but on the other hand, he has never really been given that platform anyway.
    If this is the only way for him to be tested, even though he's being severely handicapped from the start, it's better than nothing. At least we'll get to see him in with another "great".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Rigondeaux fighting at 130? He's a fcking Bantamweight, Lomachenko will smash him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Lomachenko makes easy work of it. Way too big.

A Rigo fight that'd really excite me is Rigo v Inoue at 122. That'd be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Lomachenko makes easy work of it. Way too big.

A Rigo fight that'd really excite me is Rigo v Inoue at 122. That'd be fascinating.

Which would make you think why Rigo would take the fight? Yes, money a factor, but he strikes me as someone who would not take a fight that he cannot win. I will wait until December to get excited about this.

walshb wrote: »
    Which would make you think why Rigo would take the fight? Yes, money a factor, but he strikes me as someone who would not take a fight that he cannot win. I will wait until December to get excited about this.

Probably thinks he can win. He wouldn't be the first nor the last delusional boxer out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, Rigo would have a better shot at Inoue coming up in weight to him then he has against going up in weight against Lomachenko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Don't think I'd be so quick to write off Rigondeaux even with the fight at 130. Size advantage and incredible skill would no doubt make Lomachenko favourite but I don't think Lomachenko fancies this. The fight hasn't even been made yet either despite Rigondeaux taunting him and chasing him for months on end. Lomachenko will be fighting on Dec 9th in MSG alright but no opponent named yet.

Confirmed by Top Rank.

DJx3390XkAEy0al.jpg

Can't wait. Fascinating to see what Rigo can do against such quality. To date Rigo has not been really troubled. Never had to really really show what he's made of. This match will ask more of what Rigo has than what Vasyl has. It's a serious step up for Rigo, and about bloody time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Rigo has been down in a few fights, albeit always as a result of getting caught square and not because he was ever hurt - it'll be interesting to see how quick Loma gets to him.

Absolutely huge fight but I think Loma narrowly gets the better of him in a technical affair.

• Advertisement

A lot is being made of the size difference. I don't see it as that much because Rigo has such deceptive range. He stands and moves and fences like a "bigger" man than what he is. Loma isn't that naturally big.

He's a naturally lighter weight fighter. 2-3 centimetres advantage in height I reckon. Plus, Rigo will now be heavier and not as shredded as he usually is. Bit more meat to him at 126-130 lbs. Will not be so much having to put on weight as not having to be cutting weight.

The area I see Loma being a winner is his pace and volume. If Rigo cannot stop Loma's pace and volume he may be overwhelmed on the inside.

Rigo' keys to victory are his feet and his keeping this at long range for most of the night. Not letting Loma close distance by punishing him if he does, or being always a step out if Loma's offensive range. Rigo has a really rangey offence and a wicked 1-2 punch..

A lot is being made of the size difference. I don't see it as that much because Rigo has such deceptive range. He stands and moves and fences like a "bigger" man than what he is. Loma isn't that naturally big.

He's a naturally lighter weight fighter. 2-3 centimetres advantage in height I reckon. Plus, Rigo will now be heavier and not as shredded as he usually is. Bit more meat to him at 126-130 lbs. Will not be so much having to put on weight as not having to be cutting weight.

The area I see Loma being a winner is his pace and volume. If Rigo cannot stop Loma's pace and volume he may be overwhelmed on the inside.

Rigo' keys to victory are his feet and his keeping this at long range for most of the night. Not letting Loma close distance by punishing him if he does, or being always a step out if Loma's offensive range. Rigo has a really rangey offence and a wicked 1-2 punch..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Can't recall a better year in Boxing for many many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

What a way to cap off the year which has been a monstrous year for Boxing with super fights happening all throughout the year. What's most pleasing is that when people will look back on this year the freakshows of Haye/Bellew and Mayweather/McGregor will be overshadowed by Ward/Kovalev, Canelo/Golovkin, Joshua/Klitschko, Lomachenko/Rigondeaux, Santa Cruz/Frampton, Spence/Brook as well as the WBSS and other things like Crawford becoming undisputed.

I'll be rooting for Rigondeaux in this 100% but can't see past an emphatic win for Lomachenko.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I think we can also factor in the judges as well. I'm being a bit cynical but I was talking about the Canelo scorecard (what else?) to some friends and I was trying to let them know how significant Loma/Rigo is and what both fighters are like. Youngish, flashy, offensive fighter with amazing footwork vs 36 year old safety first/do just enough, counter-punching, master boxer. Who's more marketable? Stephen Edwards reckons this also in his recent mailbag on boxingscene which is good btw..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Very excited at this matchup. Has to be Lomachenko based on weight and age. Both of these boxers exhibit masterclasses.
    Tickets got yesterday and Conlan on undercard in same venue as his unforgettable debut!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Intriguing contest. Southpaw vs Southpaw
    I don't think it's as clear cut for Hi-tech as many think. Rigo's straight left is incredibly fast, although he can be hit. There are so many technically class things at play in this bout. I'm not sure there has ever been this amount of ring experience in a World Title match. Their amateur records are truly amazing.

Can't see any messing or spoiling in this one, more a twelve round shootout.

I don't know about anyone else but although maybe more are picking Loma, Rigo seems to be revered that bit more, admired that bit more and has the more awe about him.

Reminds me of the Pele-Maradona comparisons. Loma being Pele and Rigo being Maradona.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

I don't know about anyone else but although maybe more are picking Loma, Rigo seems to be revered that bit more, admired that bit more and has the more awe about him.

Reminds me of the Pele-Maradona comparisons. Loma being Pele and Rigo being Maradona.

Find that strange to be honest. Not disagreeing with the analysis just find it hard to revere someone more than Loma. He is such an intriguing and refreshing fighter.

I am in awe of anything to do with him. His amateur career, his skills, style, career path to date. Has anyone ever had a more impressive record in their first 10 fights? He fought and beat Gary Russell Jnr who was 24-0 in his 3rd pro fight. The man is ridiculous. I think I might be in love with him....

Interesting to hear Rigo's former manager, Gary Hyde's take on it. He thinks it's a bad match for Rigo, and he says that Rigo will be beaten convincingly. Says Rigo walks around circa 128 lbs.

Rigo is taking the fight for money, but surely he must believe he can win. He strikes me as a very dedicated winner, Wouldn't want to be beaten or exposed.

The more I think of it this is one intriguing clash.

Will Loma's skills and talents be successful on the fleet footed and beautifully balanced Rigo? I think one thing is sure, Rigo's offenece will need to be a lot busier and a lot more committed and potent than what he has ever had to show before. He will not get by or win with a nonchalant and lazy offence. He will get overwhelmed and dominated.

This fight is more a test of what Rigo has. Loma is the bigger man and younger man and man with more versatility.

• Advertisement

Find that strange to be honest. Not disagreeing with the analysis just find it hard to revere someone more than Loma. He is such an intriguing and refreshing fighter.

I am in awe of anything to do with him. His amateur career, his skills, style, career path to date. Has anyone ever had a more impressive record in their first 10 fights? He fought and beat Gary Russell Jnr who was 24-0 in his 3rd pro fight. The man is ridiculous. I think I might be in love with him....

I don't get the same sense of reverence for Lomachenko. Awe-amazement, yes, but Rigo is kind of more god like to many.

Maybe It's his talents coupled with his very chilled and relaxed demeanor inside the ring. Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bob Bop Perono

I don't get the same sense of reverence for Lomachenko. Awe-amazement, yes, but Rigo is kind of more god like to many.

Maybe It's his talents coupled with his very chilled and relaxed demeanor inside the ring. Maybe?

It's exactly the opposite in my view/experience. Rigo is highly respected but has been lambasted for putting on boring performances and not quite grasping the entertainment aspect of the pro game, hence Arum letting him go.

Loma clearly gets it and tries to at least put on a show for the fans, plus he's more offensive which always goes down well.

It's exactly the opposite in my view/experience. Rigo is highly respected but has been lambasted for putting on boring performances and not quite grasping the entertainment aspect of the pro game, hence Arum letting him go.

Loma clearly gets it and tries to at least put on a show for the fans, plus he's more offensive which always goes down well.

I get your view. Mine was more the reverence side of it. Just seems to be more with Rigo.

I agree that Loma should get more kudos and respect. For me he is doing better as a pro boxer and showing that he wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I have a bad feeling this could be a complete stinker

I have a bad feeling this could be a complete stinker

As in eff all happening and eff all punches landing?

That could happen because of Loma not being able to get close....

I am not expecting Rigo to deliberately be aggressive. If he can be competitive doing as little as possible he will do that.

It's up to Loma to not make this a snoozer. We know Rigo's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Rigo's style is Rigo's style but he'll find it tough impressing the judges unless he can buzz Loma a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

We certainly won't get fireworks but I don't think it will be a stinker either. Too much skill in the ring for it to not be interesting at least.
    d be alright.
    Donaire-Rigo didn't have a lot of action but it was an intriguing fight all the same. Rigo is 4 years older now and at a much bigger weight disadvantage. Loma is also 10x as creative as Donaire offensively.

Unless Rigo really takes the piss it shoul

Henno30 wrote: »
    We certainly won't get fireworks but I don't think it will be a stinker either. Too much skill in the ring for it to not be interesting at least.
    d be alright.
    Donaire-Rigo didn't have a lot of action but it was an intriguing fight all the same. Rigo is 4 years older now and at a much bigger weight disadvantage. Loma is also 10x as creative as Donaire offensively.

Unless Rigo really takes the piss it shoul

You meant to finish that post?

I can't wait for this fight.....

Rigo by KO or Loma by clear decision/TKO is the way it goes down....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

It’s the most interesting match up of the year!

Advertisement