Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lomachenko v Rigondeaux. Dec 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

snowflaker wrote: »
    It’s the most interesting match up of the year!

Intriguing, and looking at all the media and posting and general consensus it's 50-50, and possibly more leaning with Rigo.

I want Rigo to win....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I thought Rigo/Donaire was pretty action packed. Some very good exchanges in the midst of an absolute clinic from Rigondeaux. It was a perfect platform for him to explode but he didn't take it. In another lifetime he might have fought Lomachenko a year or two previous with a less extreme jump in weight. Still though, I cannot wait for this. I have to root fe Rigo but would favour Lomachenko pretty heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Come on Loma!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's a pity most casual fans won't have clue this is on or who these boxers are. Two of the most skillful boxers of all time going head to head, what more could you want. I think Rigo can win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm a long-time admirer of Rigondeaux (I saw him live for a week winning gold in the World Ams in Belfast 2001) though I have to admit I would be far from disappointed if Lomachenko beat him, but I think the fight is a few years too late for him.

I'm really looking forward to it from a skill perspective. I reckon it will be a boxing connoiseur's dream, but I think at this stage Lomachenko will have too much. He'll just land more and outwork the super-smooth Cuban. I wish this happened at feather a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Not so much raw power, but well timed clean fast shots with enough whip and surprise. That is what a lot of KOs are. Maybe a body shot KO. It’s really his only chance. Cannot see him winning on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Stephen Edwards gives his thoughts on the fight in his most recent mailbag over on Boxingscene today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If Rigo wins this he is p4p number 1 and easily a HOFer i'd honestly rank it has one of the best wins in boxing history if Rigo who should be fighting at 118 at his age goes up to 130 and beats a fighter as good as Lomachenko. Fancy Loma by late stoppage but a fascinating fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Not long now

The undercard is dirt....

Conlan and Shakur Stevenson in against two nobodies. That's about it.

Hoped for at least one good quality fight between two top fighters as a support act...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Do we know is it Sky or BT/Boxnation? Surprised it's only in the theatre in Madison Square Garden and not the main arena. Even then it didn't sell out right away. One for the purists this.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Do we know is it Sky or BT/Boxnation? Surprised it's only in the theatre in Madison Square Garden and not the main arena. Even then it didn't sell out right away. One for the purists this.

It's BoxNation/BT

Be on the regular BoxNation channel as far as I know. Won't be PPV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Really hope its not a stinkfest . I agree with Walsh i would like Rigo to win. There is just something about Loma i cant warm to.

http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-matches/vasyl-lomachenko-v-guillermo-rigondeaux/

Boxnation

I think Loma is sublime

Really hope its not a stinkfest . I agree with Walsh i would like Rigo to win. There is just something about Loma i cant warm to.

I'm big for Rigo to win....

With you on the warming to Lomachenko...

I think it's a combination of several things. His OTT movement and actions in the ring together with his ridiculous and disrespectful showboating...

You sometimes want to just scream at him "quit the fooking posing and messing and fight."

But I do think he's a good guy. Respectful and fair and a nice person....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

walshb wrote: »
    I'm big for Rigo to win....

With you on the warming to Lomachenko...

I think it's a combination of several things. His OTT movement and actions in the ring together with his ridiculous and disrespectful showboating...

You sometimes want to just scream at him "quit the fooking posing and messing and fight."

I can see why folks might dislike the carry on, however, Loma is getting himself fairly regular fights so he is doing a lot right, and proves there is absolutely no reason why Rigo has to be so inactive. Rigo has starved us good loyal fans of his talent.

Doesn't help when Carl Frampton, Leo Santa Cruz, Abner Mares and Scott Quigg all move up a division to avoid him. In fairness to Rigo he will fight anywhere. He has already fought in Ireland, Wales, Japan, China and Mexico and most of those while champion. I think any perceived inactivity is a combination of other fighters avoiding him and a poor promotional company behind him.

And one further point, with regards Loma, all credit to him in fighting a dangerous fighter in Rigo but what Rigo is doing would be the same as Loma going up to 140 to fight Terence Crawford. He's not falling over himself to make fights such as that, or even one against Mikey Garcia.

I was one who slated him for blaming others.....I dared him to move up, and for me he truly has delivered here. Taking on a top class man a weight or so above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'd love to be wrong but I just see this fight as a massive mismatch and can't get excited about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Doesn't help when Carl Frampton, Leo Santa Cruz, Abner Mares and Scott Quigg all move up a division to avoid him. In fairness to Rigo he will fight anywhere. He has already fought in Ireland, Wales, Japan, China and Mexico and most of those while champion. I think any perceived inactivity is a combination of other fighters avoiding him and a poor promotional company behind him.

And one further point, with regards Loma, all credit to him in fighting a dangerous fighter in Rigo but what Rigo is doing would be the same as Loma going up to 140 to fight Terence Crawford. He's not falling over himself to make fights such as that, or even one against Mikey Garcia.

Jesus, he's had ten bloody fights!!!

Already won world titles at two different weights and .... ahh what's the point? If someone like Lomachenko is being accused of ducking, there is quite literally nobody in the history of boxing that hasn't ducked. Nobody!

• Advertisement

Fair point megadodge, got ahead of myself there. In fairness he's already fought a few high profile names like Walters, Russell Jr and now Rigo aswell as the Salido fight in his short pro career. My attempts to point out the bold move Rigo has taken to step up two weights to fight Loma wrongly turned into criticism of Loma not doing the same. Anyway roll on fight night. Looking forward to this one.

I see this as a match of two high calibre proponents off the sweet science. Slug fest it won’t be. One for the purists

Lomachenko is almost a veteran really, even though he has had few pro bouts..

No ducking, but still to really test himself..some good names on his ledger, but for Loma to be considered a great, he will need a fair bit more, and it’s likely he will need to move to LW and possibly higher to attain a greatness tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

walshb wrote: »
    Lomachenko is almost a veteran really, even though he has had few pro bouts..

No ducking, but still to really test himself..some good names on his ledger, but for Loma to be considered a great, he will need a fair bit more, and it’s likely he will need to move to LW and possibly higher to attain a greatness tag.

He likely will do that when things dry up where he’s at. He’s keeping fairly busy which is great. He will probably be around for a while, he doesn’t take too many shots & I can’t remember him having hand trouble. If his legs go that will be the end for him.

It's fight week....

Any tasty snippets?

Predictions?

I will go with Lomachenko via mid rds stoppage.....

Hoping that Rigo pulls the KO win out. He has a chance. Not small, not large, just a chance.

Lomachenko a clear favorite at 5-1 on....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

andy lee previewing the fight on otb

Lee Selby I think is spot on:

"Rigondeaux has great boxing ability, timing and grit. What he does lack, though, and what would come into play against Lomachenko, is work rate. Rigondeaux likes to sit back and counter, whereas Lomachenko will force the pace. He’s prepared to throw the first punch and would look to counter Rigondeaux’s counter. For me, Lomachenko is pound-for-pound Top 5, or even Top 3. He’s broken records as an amateur and now he’s breaking records as a professional. Rigondeaux is still fresh because he doesn’t take a lot of shots but he’s been very inactive in recent years and he’s 36 years old now. He’s a fighter who relies on timing and reflexes, and age will affect Rigondeaux more than someone who relies on strength and punch. It’s the kind of fight that would be competitive early on but as soon as Lomachenko picks up the pace, he would take over the fight. I think, with the youth and natural weight advantage, Lomachenko could force a late stoppage."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Ever since big bang iv been pronouncing his name Rig-on-dough and so has everyone else I know. Well thats me learned. Interesting take from selby above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Rigo is a class act and it's such a pity his 'big fight' is so late in his career. I know he had the Donaire fight but that didn't exactly set the world on fire.

At 36 and the smaller man I think he's in trouble, he's been knocked down before and while Loma isn't strictly a ko artist, he has some venum in his punches. I'd expect Loma to have far too much for him early and wear him down, possibly looking towards a stoppage in the second half of the fight.

Only question I have for the knowledgeable boxing posters is, does the fact that this is southpaw v southpaw have any bearing on the outcome of the match? From a technical standpoint, will Loma look a little bit more ordinary fighting a man of the same stance? Or are these two men that seasoned it will make no difference?

Intriguing match I'm looking forward to immensely and a great fight to end a great year for the sport.

Advertisement