Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lomachenko v Rigondeaux. Dec 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

megadodge wrote: »
    I hope Lomachenko's brilliance doesn't get too overshadowed.

He completely outboxed a master boxer.

The guy is a genius!

He's a phenonenom, his speed, movement and angles are on another level. Rigo didn't know what to do, i know he's 37 but he just didn't have an answer at all.

When can we consider Loma one of the best of all time? What does he need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Boooourns wrote: »

World titles at several weights and and staying at the top for much much longer.

He has every chance of achieving it though.

blade1 wrote: »
    World titles at several weights and and staying at the top for much much longer.

He has every chance of achieving it though.

2 weight World champ already, i think power will be the only thing stops him when he moves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He's a phenonenom, his speed, movement and angles are on another level. Rigo didn't know what to do, i know he's 37 but he just didn't have an answer at all.

He needs more fights and wins. It’s that simple...

The win last night was very much expected. It does nothing to enhance his status.

I know there was two weight classes in difference, but I was a little shocked at the in ring size difference...

Rigo realized early that he was no way winning on points. He then was starting to feel the pace and the pressure of the bigger man......

He chose to quit and feign injury....

Or at least make a meal out of an “injury.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Loma looks unbeatable but let's not forget that he has already lost as a pro, against a tough durable but limited fighter in Salido.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Michael Conlon will have a tough time when he steps up levels.

also needs to quit the messing around in the ring. And leave the referees do their job

His OTT physical reactions to things like clinches and holding are ridiculous.

That nonsense won’t cut it should he move up to meet naturally bigger men. It will only work against him..

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Michael Conlon will have a tough time when he steps up levels.

He looked neat and tidy last night. But really, these lads should be dispatched fast...

He better have a decent chin and stamina, because if he can’t hurt better quality then he’s screwed. His defense is average...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Fell asleep last night lads, can someone give me a quick breakdown of how it went

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

A disappointing dosplay of guts from Rigo. Loma just too good and he didn't want to take a beating.
    Whatever pro 'legacy' he had is badly tainted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fell asleep last night lads, can someone give me a quick breakdown of how it went

Sure.
    Rigo is a pussy.
    The end.

Desperate spoilfest..

Rigo looked lost. Chose to spoil and hold and eventually quit due to him being physically incapable of mounting an effective offense..

Loma did what he had to, albeit not looking great due to the clash of styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

It was a stinker of a fight imo. Lomachenko will get his props and the banter brigade will love the Nomaschencko angle but I wasn't impressed by him that much. It's hard to look good against a fighter like Rigondeaux but I expected a lot more considering all the advantages he had/has over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Urindanger wrote: »
    It was a stinker of a fight imo. Lomachenko will get his props and the banter brigade will love the Nomaschencko angle but I wasn't impressed by him that much. It's hard to look good against a fighter like Rigondeaux but I expected a lot more considering all the advantages he had/has over him.

As I thought. Did not expect a stopage or quitter. What round?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Asking a bit much of Conlan if you're expecting him to blast every opponent out of there in a round imo. Thought that was easily his most mature performance yet. He's never going to be a massive puncher but it isn't easy against a negative opponent who shells up for the full round. He did what he had to do and did it very well.

Looked as fresh after 6 rounds than he did after 1 round which is very promising. Good to see he wants to jump up to an 8 rounder next too.

Top Rank are playing a blinder with him so far getting him the exposure he's getting.

Urindanger wrote: »

Thought the opposite myself, he constantly landed on a fighter who has been pretty much un-hittable since he turned pro. Confused him with angles and footwork and barely missed and he made the great Rigo quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Thought the opposite myself, he constantly landed on a fighter who has been pretty much un-hittable since he turned pro. Confused him with angles and footwork and barely missed and he made the great Rigo quit.

I know one has to take Compubox with a grain of salt but Lomachenko landed 55 punches the entire fight for a 16% rate, with over half being jabs. Hardly constantly landing now is it?

Now I felt it was a little more than that and yeah Rigondeaux is pretty elusive but he has been hit a fair few times, and been knocked down a few times. Disappointing fight in my eyes, Rigondeaux will have lost many fans due to seemingly quit as well as putting in an awful effort, let's be fair. It's a shame as technically he's as good as anyone ever, his pro career just hasn't materialised since the Donaire fight. Lomachenko got the job done and marches on but it's certainly not a legacy building fight that it could have been and probably should have been.

It's nice that we got to see the fight as too many fantasy matchups stay that, fantasy. However it probably should have happened at a better time and at a better weight for Rigondeaux for the purists to get their fix. A fight that won't be remembered too easily. All my opinion of course...

Not expecting MC to blast away everyone, but that dude last night should have been taken out and dispatched...

Anyway, impossible to analyze properly due to the very poor opposition..

My point is more a prediction...what happens against quality who can box and fight?

Has MC the chin and stamina to be up to it, because I don’t think he has the defense or power to help him out.

walshb wrote: »
    Not expecting MC to blast away everyone, but that dude last night should have been taken out and dispatched...

Anyway, impossible to analyze properly due to the very poor opposition..

My point is more a prediction...what happens against quality who can box and fight?

Has MC the chin and stamina to be up to it, because I don’t think he has the defense or power to help him out.

I don't envision him having stamina issues but time will tell. We've no idea about chin. Dropped very hard in the world champs final but recuperated very well tbf.

Ryan Burnett had the same question marks with power and defense. Done ok for himself tbf through outboxing people and using his superior engine. All good having power but sometimes it's a bit overrated. Conlan will be matched just as well if not better than Burnett the whole way up. Top Tank are the best in the business at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I'm glad Loma mentioned how it's not a big win for him considering the weight difference. Rigo did as for the fight though.

• Advertisement

Ironic that Rigo was slagging off Lomachenko for fighting quitters - join the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Some people seem a little browned off by the way the fight went. I’m not sure what kind of fireworks they expected. Most predictions from those who know a bit said that it would be a cagey affair, with Loma winning in the mid rounds by out working & out frustrating the smaller older man.
    That’s exactly what happened. Loma was better than expected. His double/triple jab, footwork & ring craft were perfect, forcing Rigo into making mistakes.

Rigo was frustrated & likely to get docked a few more times as well as getting hit a lot more often. He also realized his punchers chance wasn’t going to come into it. There’s no real need to come down hard on him calling him a quitter or accuse him of having no heart given what he has achieved.
    He’s still among the very best in the world right now and Loma remains at the top. Fair dues to both of them for putting the fight on without the usual rubbish.

Last night he flat out quit...

Sore loser. Gamesmanship

Rather than keep trying and take the loss like a man he decided to take away from Loma’s moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

anyone know where i can watch the fight back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Bit surprised at how easy Loma made it look. Size difference was a major factor obviously, but he made it look like Rigo wasn't hard to get to at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Morrison J wrote: »
    I don't envision him having stamina issues but time will tell. We've no idea about chin. Dropped very hard in the world champs final but recuperated very well tbf.

Ryan Burnett had the same question marks with power and defense. Done ok for himself tbf through outboxing people and using his superior engine. All good having power but sometimes it's a bit overrated. Conlan will be matched just as well if not better than Burnett the whole way up. Top Tank are the best in the business at it.

You're being generous.

Power is by far the most overrated attribute in professional boxing.

Morrison J wrote: »
    All good having power but sometimes it's a bit overrated.

I probably should have emphasized that I am not speaking about wow power or KO power. More just a decent banger that can earn some respect...even Frampton type power...

For MC he does not have this, and IMO not close...so it’s not just him not having any power, but for me he appears to really lack any decent level of power...

Why I think it very important for him, and many like him, is that I reckon his defense will let him down, and I have a feeling his chin won’t turn out to be grade A..

If he could punch a little and earn real respect it could really help him out...

Will he turn out to be a bit Bernard Dunne like? Unable to really hurt the opposition, and also very vulnerable when tagged hard?

MC has lovely fundamentals....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Watching Roman v Salido now- heard it was a cracker

Who would we like Lomachenko to go for next? I don't think SFW is near to being cleared out.....There are a few tasty matches for him.

Machado looks to be a good one. Tall and rangy and good puncher....Unbeaten as well.

Of course you also have Gervonta Davis....

I'd like to see Loma have 2-3 fights in 2018....maybe two more at 130 an then onto 135 vs. Linares or Mikey Garcia...

• Advertisement

I want the Mikey fight asap to be honest. Only fight that is legit competitive at 130 or 135 in my opinion.

Advertisement