Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lomachenko v Rigondeaux. Dec 9th

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’d be a little unsure about Garcia comfortably and healthily getting to 130... it has to be 135 or higher.

Easter at 135 is also very interesting from a talent/style point of view..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    I’d be a little unsure about Garcia comfortably and healthily getting to 130... it has to be 135 or higher.

Easter at 135 is also very interesting from a talent/style point of view..
    Garcia fight happens at 135. I meant it's the only competitive fight for Loma out of all the options in both divisions.

Easter could bring problems with his size but I don't think he really uses it well enough. Shafikov won plenty of rounds against him and is smaller than Lomachenko. Loma would win every round against Easter I think.

Berchelt fight is mildly intriguing at 130 if he could rough Loma up. Still practically a foregone conclusion that Loma wins that one for me though. He's too skilled and Berchelt comes in straight lines too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Betchelt too slow...

Yes, 135 the weight alright. And needs to happen within a year. 135 may not be Mikey’s weight mid to late 2018.

I think 140 is Loma’s max weight....and the opposition, if quality will prove very difficult for Loma. He is a small weight fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Got in friday lunchtime and left bags with herself while I jogged down from Port Authority for the weigh in but when I got there it was in the lobby and closed off from the public so hung around to see if anything could be seen. Couldnt really see the main protagonists but did get to meet the Conlan brothers coming out and have a few words. Sound lads. When asked about his title fight Jamie admitted straight away that your man was too good.

Snowed all day saturday which had to be one of the reasons why the place was almost full from the first fight! Before going in we had a quick pint in Jack Doyle's which was the venue for Loma's after party but decided not to bother afterwards.

Got in with no hassle and the merchandise was almost all gone. Only stuff left were programmes for $20 and programmes signed by both main eventers for $300! Anyway we were seated in time to see most of the Diaz fight.

Some comparison with the last time Conlan fought there! A lot more low key almost to the point of anti climatic which is how you could describe the fight. Very polished performance and good to see he did go the distance and even switched it up with ease. I feel Top Rank are really looking after him and his next bout is back here on Patrick's Day.

We were near the back in Row E so like last time had no idea where the fighters would come out so it was a surprise when Loma came out to our left but even though we were only 5 rows back could not see him due to his size and all the cameras!

What can one say about this anticipated bout? Underwhelming, disappointing or almost what we expected technically? Loma never looked bothered and was so dominant it mirrored Michael's fight. Frustrated Rigo was so outclassed he resorted to holding and was justifiably deducted a point to the delight of the large Ukrainian presence. Loma's movement and combos were too much and like most thought the age and size difference told. But there was still a surprise when he quit and his interview was loudly booed by most in the arena. My abiding memory is Rigo ducking down and getting repeatedly walloped which was one of the most bizarre sights I've seen live.

On the way up I had started Brin-Jonathan Butler's excellent book on Rigo called A Cuban Boxer's Journey which gives a great insight into Cuban life and the struggles Rigo went through and also his personality so to see this legend of the sport quit was a surprise and disappointing.

Ringside Terence Crawford, Michael J Fox and Tim Tebow! That mouth Stephen Smith was visible commentating for ESPN and he got some stick which was good to hear! Afterwards we closed Jimmy's as usual!

So great the witness this historic bout between two legendary warriors in the true home of boxing.

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

308-27-13 is the combined record of Loma's opponents in his 11 fights. Salido provides nearly half of those losses.  He fought and beat 24-0 Gary Russell Jnr in his 3rd pro fight. The man has serious balls and ambition to go with his talent and I find the speed of his pro career so far insane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement