Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I've got an i5-7600k @ 4.5 with a H80i v2 rad and it does 30 idle / 55 load. This is in a case not renowned for airflow also (Corsair 100R Silent) with only one exhaust fan.

Considering your rad is twice the size and you've two SP-120s to my one something definitely seems wrong... Maybe re-apply thermal paste?

Do a proper custom fan curve in the bios rather than those performance / silent presets. You can have the best of both worlds by having the fans running light at low temps and picking up as it rises.

He didn't overclock himself or install the cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The i7-7700K is a really hot processor, it's pretty notorious and not unusual for it to go to 90-95c under heavy benchmarking conditions. 85c is not fatal though it is high.

Especially for that particular setup with dual fans on the radiator. Might be just badly installed or else some air trapped in the setup somewhere.

I vaguely remember reading that before but didn't want to say anything in case I was talking sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

As TP said they are very hot running cpus and ideally you need to delid it the reduce temps.

Also Scan probably using their default settings to OC to 4.8ghz.According to the page you got the vcore is set to 1.3v.Thats high imo and I'd say there is a good chance you could lower it and still be stable unless its a bad OC'ing chip.
    Scan would have been testing on an open bench so the temps would be lower than if in a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't realise it was overclocked. I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with an i7-7700K @ 4.8Ghz 1.35v reaching 85c at all.

If you go into bios and reset everything to default you will likely see an immediate drop in idle/max temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I didn't realise it was overclocked. I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with an i7-7700K @ 4.8Ghz 1.35v reaching 85c at all.

If you go into bios and reset everything to default you will likely see an immediate drop in idle/max temps.

The bundle came overclocked. Here are some of the terms that was passed on:
    It is advised that you do not enter the BIOS and change any settings other than boot order and on-board device settings, as altering our pre-configured BIOS settings could invalidate the warranty. We have taken notes of the BIOS version and overclock settings. If you need to change any settings for any reason this must be confirmed by Scan first. Please do not alter any of the onboard switches such as EPU or TPU, as this will adjust your overclocked settings. If this is accidentally done, please put the switch back to the original position before powering the bundle on. Take care not to remove the CMOS battery or remove any of the on-board jumpers, as this may completely clear your settings. If for some reason your settings do get wiped, then please consult the motherboard manual on how to reload saved BIOS profiles.

If I cannot bring the temperatures within safe limits, I will work with them to get the overclock lowered or removed.

Today I should receive two extra SP120s, a PWM splitter and an extension from Amazon. Scan suggested that I test and measure with a tool called AIDA64. I will run this once before changing anything, then install the fans and test again. I'll come back with numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Yeah thats pretty normal temps for the overclock unless its delidded.

If you change anything in the bios make sure you save the settings first before doing so.There should be an option to save the profile in case its not already there.

The fans are not here yet.
    I've tried that AIDA64 thing, but looks severely limited to me, at least the free trial. OCCT looks like a much better tool, worthy of a PayPal donation.

Here's what I see: the temperature is actually within normal limits, with the occasional spikes into madness.

2017-09-07-20h34-Temperature-CPU.png?dl=1

But this can also happen: test was cancelled because the temperature went too high!

2017-09-07-22h20-Temperature-CPU.png?dl=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As before it's simply overclocked too high with too much voltage. The temps are not unusual or indicative that anything is wrong. Even at stock speeds the 7700K runs way, way hotter than the previous CPU, the 6700K despite not being much faster.

Resetting bios settings will absolutely not invalidate any warranty. The 7700K runs at 4.2Ghz at default and boosts to 4.6 so you're really loosing very little and should claw back a lot in temperature.

So, the additional fans arrived, and I added them to my setup. I removed the cooler, installed the stock fans on the inside, and mounted the cooler on the new fans. So, four SP120s now on the H100i V2, at the front of the case, pushing cool air through the radiator inside the case.

According to the Corsair Link software, the rad temp is 30C, even when the CPU is throttling. And, yes, I have had confirmation of throttling from the AIDA64 test, which I left on for an hour. Based on this information, I'm now certain that there's not a lot of air flow improvements I can do, the CPU will still get hot under load. Like TerrorFirmer said, too much voltage.

I spoke to Scan and asked about running at stock settings. They told me how to restore the profiles, I have the Stock and the OC saved.
    Now, with Stock settings, I was able to complete the tests with no issues.

There are still some spikes, but the test wasn't stopped like in the OC tests.
    The benchmarks, as expected, have lower scores. TimeSpy score down from 8783 to 8731, FireStrike down from 21648 to 21061.

2017-09-08-15h39-Temperature-CPU.png?dl=1

• Advertisement
Advertisement