Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pannier/Rack for a road/racer bike?

Options
  • 27-08-2017 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm thinking to get a pannier/rack for the back of my bike so I can put a box or two on the back and use my bike where I'd currently drive because of what needs to be brought.

Something I could ratchet strap boxes too that won't be too much in the way. If it was easy to attach and detach it would be a plus, but this isn't too important, as you can see from my bike, it's more for general purpose use than to be as light and fast as possible and I'm ok to cycle with extra weight in general. Actually the tougher the cycle the better for me :pac:

Any feedback or recommendations on what would fit and where to buy would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

I have a seatpost rack that works well, however most seat post racks are limited to 15kg. Would you know how much weight you want to put on the rack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I don't think you have pannier mounts (or mudguard) and it sounds like you want to lug loads, so I'd suggest a bike trailer.

https://www.athleteshop.ie/roland-miniboy-bike-cargo-trailer?as=athlete&kwd_id=22985-AGI-35743800149-ASI-205957606840-ASAF3SPH4L&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg77e4Nv31QIVZ7vtCh1OcwE_EAQYAyABEgKRt_D_BwE

Something like that, I used to use a kids trailer as a cargo carrier which was pretty good too but much wider than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Deedsie wrote: »
    I had similar issues on my bike not having carrier mounts. I got a seat post clamp with carrier mounts to replace the original seat post clamp.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Alloy-Seat-Clamp-Mount/dp/B00X0JQ0A2

I got my one in donnybrook bikes. They were very helpful.

Like that one. I got a topeak super tourist rack

Topeak Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack with Side Bar - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004BU7ADK/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_M0WOzbKS27KW0

You basically have to make sure there a mount points on the bike near the rear cassette.

I would also recommend a pair of Ortlieb back roller classic panniers. They are very good.

I had that very same model the SCR3 and it definitely has mounts for a pannier rack on the rear lugs and seat stays.You should have no problem sourcing a suitable rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the replies folks! I've attached another photo, does it definitely have the mounts on the rear lugs and seat stays I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the replies folks! I've attached another photo, does it definitely have the mounts on the rear lugs and seat stays I wonder?

Yes there's eyelets above the wheel's skewer and on the seatstay near the brakes so a standard rack will fit.

vega.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

When you get a carrier, don't forget to get a carrier mount for your rear light. Works much better than the various bodged-on-to-the-carrier tube mounts I see everywhere.

71MjCCYIwfL._AC_UL115_.jpg

BTW, I'm not sure that the Krysium wheels you have would be rated for carrying cargo. Depends on what sort of weight you might be carrying.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help!

Interesting about the wheels possibly not supporting the weight. I'm just under 100kg myself at the moment. Would probably be looking to carry about 20-35kg of cargo on top, but would be rarely 35kg, that's about 250 bananas boxed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You're asking the wrong question. The answer is, yes. You should buy yourself a cargo bike. Why? Because N+1. That's why.

Had to Google what N+1 was! I don't really have a lot of space to store a cargo bike and then there's the thing of if I'm getting a cargo bike, why not get a cargo bike with a solar powered freezer while I'm at it, then there's how do I power the freezer if the solar isn't enough and it all gets very complicated oh and the space issue then aswell with a big freezer on the bike :pac:

Would anyone know will this one be ok?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Bicycle-IB-RA4-Non-Disc-Frame-Mounted/dp/B002T5H8MW/ref=pd_vtph_200_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KZ1W79VVH7S1GFTGXYPG

It's just working out a good bit cheaper as it's fulfilled by Amazon so no delivery fee to Ireland so just over half the price of the other one delivered :confused:

• Advertisement

If anyone know if this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Bicycle-Touring-IB-RA5-Frame-Mounted/dp/B00AA8GFSI/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

or the one in the link in the post above would be ok, please let me know :) not exactly sure what I need to be looking out for in terms of compatibility that if one will work all others should too or what.

Any help would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Check where the mount is on the left seat-stay. The rear brake may be in the way of the rack arm that attaches to the mount.

I fitted this on a Genesis Equilibrium, but needed to use a p-clip to attach it to the left chain-stay. This makes it less secure and can potentially damage the frame. The Genesis is a steel frame, it is not recommended to attempt this on a carbon bike.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tortec-ultralite-rear-rack/

But I think whatever solution you come up with will cause problems down the line. Your bike is not built to carry such weight. I only carry light loads on the Genesis bike. Others may disagree and say they carry heavy loads, but I would not consider carrying more than 15kg on a standard road bike. You may need to consider a bike that is built for this, i.e. a touring bike.

Thanks a lot for the help! I think carrying 35kg will be very rare for me to do, I see most of the racks seem to be rated at 25kg and I think I'll be well under this for 90%+ of cycles.

Is there a difference between me being 25kg heavier than I am and me staying the weight I am and putting 25kg on a rack in terms of weak points on the bike etc I wonder?

I'm planning to lose some weight anyway so it will counteract it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

The wheels are definitely an issue. A quick Google search says that Mavic recommends max rider weight as 100kg. The weight distribution on a bike is 60/40, so if the bike is 10kg and rider is 100kg, then the weight on back wheel is 66kg. If you add 35kg to that, then its over 100kg on the back wheel alone, a 50% increase in weight. I would expect spokes to break regularly.
    Someone might come back and argue that it is 55/45 weight distribution and the entire 35kg does not go on back wheel. Regardless, you are on the limit already for what these wheels support. Carrying an extra 35kg is bound to cause wheel issues.

The rack mounts are also an issue. If you are unlucky, a screw could shear, i.e. head could split from the body with the weight. If you are really unlucky, you risk doing irreparable damage to the frame.

Thanks a lot for that info, I wasn't aware of any of that! I guess the right answer is for me to just lose some more weight :D

What kind of irreparable damage do you think could be done to the frame?

I got them wheels with the bike (bought the whole thing second hand from a user who posted it for sale on this forum) and I remember looking up the cost of the wheels and they were pretty pricey so would hate to see them fall apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I recently toured on a carbon disc braked cyclocross bike that has no rack mounts. I found a rack that was designed for disc brakes (it's a bit wider) and bought a seat clamp with rack mounts.

The rack mounts securely to the rear wheel skewer and is then clamped to the seat post. It worked well enough for me to cycle across Wales, including loads of gravel and muddy tracks, with no concerns.

Let me know if you want more details and I'll dig out the make of the rack and where I got the seat clamp from.

Thanks a lot for the input. I don't think I'd need one like that though according to the posts above? I'll probably just order one of the ones on amazon and see how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Google tailfin cc these are carbon racks designed for race bikes nice kit

benneca1 wrote: »
    Google tailfin cc these are carbon racks designed for race bikes nice kit

Thanks for the suggestion, that looks good alright for panniers, but I'd be looking to be able to carry boxes strapped to a rack, so it wouldn't work with that unfortunately!

Everything attached again except the mudguard I had :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Lads a seat post mounting rack on a carbon seat post, am I asking for trouble? Looking for a rack for light loads (a camera and a few lenses) am fed up with a backpack. Want to fit it to my road bike.

Any input?

Advertisement