Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance change of address

Options
  • 27-08-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I just moved from Dublin to Wicklow and we took out a new car insurance policy in May.
    So we need to change address on our current policy, I'm just wondering if there would be any changes like they'd charge me more for the existing policy.
    What's the proper way to do it? I'm just having a million things on my mind with the move and that's one worry, because I just couldn't fork out a massive payment for that at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you moved address then you need to notify the insurance company. In all probability your risk profile will be reduced so you may even get a refund or (more likely) credit off next year's renewal but either way, you have a duty to inform them. They may want the old cert. back first before issuing a new one, phone them and see what they say.

How do you reckon that moving from Dublin to Wicklow could involve a 'massive payment' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When it comes to car insurance, I'm counting on the worst :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Theft from cars and traffic density is lower in Co. Wicklow than Dublin city so I'd be amazed if your premium went up, by any amount, it's almost certain that it will come down. Don't be so pessimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Our insurance policy is a bit of a "mess". He is on a learner's permit and the main holder, because I hold a Full EU, which is in the process of becoming an Irish now. It was cheaper that way and boy, it was a fight to get it somewhat reasonable.

Advertisement