Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disregarding notice period

Options
  • 27-08-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'll keep this one short and sweet and try to avoid the essays I usually write!

In my current job 2.5 years.
    Initially liked it, but for a variety of reasons now I loathe it and it's affecting my health.
    I'm interviewing elsewhere and confident of finding a new job.

My contractual notice period is 2 months.

Do I have to work the full 2 month notice period?

Re: a reference, my former manager who recently left the company would be willing to give me a reference (which would be better than the standard "Mr X worked here from date A until date B" which is all my company offers.

I am not concerned about leaving on good terms. I have been badly mistreated and I never intend to return to this company. The thought of working even 1 more day there makes me anxious.

Is there a legal notice period I can get away with, without serving my full 2 months?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'll keep this one short and sweet and try to avoid the essays I usually write!

Initially liked it, but for a variety of reasons now I loathe it and it's affecting my health.
    I'm interviewing elsewhere and confident of finding a new job.

My contractual notice period is 2 months.

Do I have to work the full 2 month notice period?

Re: a reference, my former manager who recently left the company would be willing to give me a reference (which would be better than the standard "Mr X worked here from date A until date B" which is all my company offers.

I am not concerned about leaving on good terms. I have been badly mistreated and I never intend to return to this company. The thought of working even 1 more day there makes me anxious.

Is there a legal notice period I can get away with, without serving my full 2 months?

Thanks

In practice I don't think there's an awful lot they can do. But don't expect to receive your holiday pay etc.
    I did it at least once before and had no issues, I wouldn't expect a reference from them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If an employee stops turning up for work, there's not a lot an employer can do so if you don't need a reference then a notice period doesn't have much meaning.

Don't underestimate the importance of leaving on good terms though, particularly from a job you have been at for some time. Often discreet phone calls are made, a new employer can assume that if you walked out on your previous employer, you are likely to walk out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Absolutely expect your holiday pay! You are entitled to it if you are owed it. You will be paid for any days worked and any holidays paid regardless of whether you finish out your notice. You should only not be paid for days in your notice you do not work.

There isn't a whole lot they can do immediately, but as a poster above said, a lot of industries in Ireland are small and not working your full notice burns bridges and gives people reasons to bad mouth you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're confident of finding a new job and you don't want to stay there 1 more day.

Why don't you hand in your notice now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Sounds a lot like a certain US multinational I worked for..
    My advice.. don't compromise your health. The fact you're feeling this way means you're probably already stressed. Check your employer's sick pay policy. It's no harm to hand in your notice and immediately go out on the sick. Use the time to de-stress. Take counselling, learn to relax again, and make sure your health is back at 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Like others have said there's not much they can do if you don't work the notice.

When people give notice in your company, do they normally work the full notice? Some companies put people on garden leave as soon as they give notice.

However, if they get people to work the full notice, I would advise that when you give your notice that you ask if you can come to mutual agreement on a shorter notice period. You've nothing to lose by trying this and you could get what you want without burning bridges. Ireland is a small place so it's usually good to try and leave on good terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's nothing doing you from asking to have the notice reduced to one month. Two months notice is common for key roles where it's felt that it might be needed but that isn't necessarily the case.

Also an employer might not really want to have someone working for them fire that period who isn't incentivised to be effective. You also may have holidays sure that can reduce the period.

If the employer doesn't agree then there is little they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Also an employer might not really want to have someone working for them fire that period who isn't incentivised to be effective. You also may have holidays sure that can reduce the period.

I think you have to have planned your holidays before you hand in your notice . You cant do it after you've handed in your notice

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dev100 wrote: »
    I think you have to have planned your holidays before you hand in your notice . You cant do it after you've handed in your notice
    Really depends on the employer; past jobs gave the option of holiday days rather than holiday pay so the person could leave a week or two early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Will the former manager be able to give you a reference on company headed paper? And what happens if they call your former employer to check upon the reference. Think very carefully before you burn your bridges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement