Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds School Review

Options
  • 27-08-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just want to find out if anyone went to the Dublin School of Grinds and did their grade in the subject improve a lot in the Leaving Cert?

Thinking of sending my son there to do two subjects for Leaving Cert 2018, but cant find many reviews......

Many thanks,
    JB73

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They seem to do a lot of free offers if that's an indication of something.

If your son needs particular help in subjects, I'm not sure class settings like those indicated on their site will help. They may have 'grinds' in their name, but most grinds in Ireland are one to one, not in class groups.

Will he be attending school as well as doing these courses? If not, there are far cheaper, long established options in schools to do night classes towards a Leaving Cert. subject. (3 hours per week -360 euro for the year).

That said, if he puts in the work, he'll do well anywhere. Your money, your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Jellybean73

spurious wrote: »
    They seem to do a lot of free offers if that's an indication of something.

If your son needs particular help in subjects, I'm not sure class settings like those indicated on their site will help. They may have 'grinds' in their name, but most grinds in Ireland are one to one, not in class groups.

Will he be attending school as well as doing these courses? If not, there are far cheaper, long established options in schools to do night classes towards a Leaving Cert. subject. (3 hours per week -360 euro for the year).

That said, if he puts in the work, he'll do well anywhere. Your money, your choice.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, he will be attending school as well. He wants to improve his grades in two subjects. The Dublin Grinds School is expensive...hence my post to see whether any of the students felt it was worth it, in terms of their grades. Don't want to break the bank if there is an alternative.

Just an update. Sent my son to Dublin School of Grinds to do two subjects. He actually did worse in his mocks and any set tests. Ended up getting a private tutor instead and he flourished and went up by two grades.

Would recommend a private tutor over the class grinds method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Fastidious

Its high time these grind schools close, no doubt the likes of the institute are bricking it and totally against any reform of the senior cycle. The prices they charge are sickening and represent everything that's wrong with our education system.

Fastidious wrote: »
    Its high time these grind schools close, no doubt the likes of the institute are bricking it and totally against any reform of the senior cycle. The prices they charge are sickening and represent everything that's wrong with our education system.

Would agree. These places are preying on the anxiety and stress of vulnerable kids. They are incredibly expensive and parents feel the need to pay to get their kids ‘ahead of the game’. It’s wrong. It is creating so much pressure for kids. We should be encouraging and reassuring our kids that it doesn’t matter if you don’t get the high points, as there are so many alternative paths to where you want to go. I’ve seen kids who do really well in the Leaving Cert but they still feel it’s not good enough and they feel inadequate. The education system, media hype and the way society are causing this pressure point in kids’ lives, need to change. I paid for my son to go to one of these places and it was a struggle to pay for it and I can now see in hindsight that it was a big mistake. Equally I know some parents who did the same and didn’t see any improvement in grades. I would be interested in knowing the real statistics behind these places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Would agree. These places are preying on the anxiety and stress of vulnerable kids. They are incredibly expensive and parents feel the need to pay to get their kids ‘ahead of the game’. It’s wrong. It is creating so much pressure for kids. We should be encouraging and reassuring our kids that it doesn’t matter if you don’t get the high points, as there are so many alternative paths to where you want to go. I’ve seen kids who do really well in the Leaving Cert but they still feel it’s not good enough and they feel inadequate. The education system, media hype and the way society are causing this pressure point in kids’ lives, need to change. I paid for my son to go to one of these places and it was a struggle to pay for it and I can now see in hindsight that it was a big mistake. Equally I know some parents who did the same and didn’t see any improvement in grades. I would be interested in knowing the real statistics behind these places.

I'm curious. Based on what you have said why did you send your son there? Did you enquire about results before enrolling him?

I'm not in favour of grind schools by the way, but parents choose to send their kids there. The schools charge what the market will pay, which seems to be in the range of €7k. No one is forced to go there. And there is no magic formula. The formula is learn off a bundle of notes for each subject, and study for 12-13 hours a day. Plenty of kids achieving the points they need for college in regular schools.

Also grind schools are going to promote their best results 'We had 10 students who got 590+ points'. They will never mention the ones that got 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Also grind schools are going to promote their best results 'We had 10 students who got 590+ points'. They will never mention the ones that got 350.

Not true for all - the grinds school local to me lists all student that got 300-400, 400-500 points etc. on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irishhombre

has anyone used Tuition Farm .ie for grinds?

i just signed my two up for 3 classes each for their January grinds, price works out to less than €10 a class....seems like a good thing to try.

my kids are online all the time anyway because we cant go anywhere, they might as well do a bit of learning.

Advertisement