Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocked by phone bill

Options
  • 27-08-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

My 14 year old son has been watching Netflix on his mobile phone over the past few weeks blissfully unaware of the associated costs. He got a text today to say that his bill was unusually high. When we rang the number provided, we were told that the bill was 475 euro !!
    I think this is absolutely disgusting. I think the time has finally arrived to move our 11 mobile phones, business and private to a different operator.

1) Why does EIR chose to operate in such a deceitful way.
    2) My son and dare I say anyone else would never willfilly run up a bill like that
    3) Why does EIR wait for so long before prompting the user that the charges are unusually high.

If EIR chooses to persist with this, I'm closing all my accounts. Snakes in the grass waiting for a rooky user to spring and bite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

SeanSouth wrote: »
    My 14 year old son has been watching Netflix on his mobile phone over the past few weeks blissfully unaware of the associated costs. He got a text today to say that his bill was unusually high. When we rang the number provided, we were told that the bill was 475 euro !!
    I think this is absolutely disgusting. I think the time has finally arrived to move our 11 mobile phones, business and private to a different operator.

2) My son and dare I say anyone else would never willfilly run up a bill like that
    3) Why does EIR wait for so long before prompting the user that the charges are unusually high.

If EIR chooses to persist with this, I'm closing all my accounts. Snakes in the grass waiting for a rooky user to spring and bite
    Hi there,

Sorry to hear of the issue you're having with your bill. Each account has a credit limit and we would notify you by text when you are approaching this limit. The credit limit for an account would differ from customer to customer depending on which/how many products are on an account. 

If the charges are valid on this account, they would need to be paid I'm afraid. If you PM me your account number and full name I can check on this for you.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

eir: Adam wrote: »

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of the issue you're having with your bill. Each account has a credit limit and we would notify you by text when you are approaching this limit. The credit limit for an account would differ from customer to customer depending on which/how many products are on an account. 

If the charges are valid on this account, they would need to be paid I'm afraid. If you PM me your account number and full name I can check on this for you.

- Adam
    Maybe charges are valid but 14 year old boy had no clue about this until you advised that the bill was now at 470 euro.

Given that his normal bill has been 15 euro per month, you could have advised at 100 euro, 200eur or even 300 euro that
    the charges were accruing at this rate. It seems to be your policy to let it run

As a result of this we will now terminate our account with Eircom. This is an isolated case. We have had enough of Eircom's antics
    No more

Hi there,

- Adam
    Maybe charges are valid but 14 year old boy had no clue about this until you advised that the bill was now at 470 euro.

Given that his normal bill has been 15 euro per month for the last few years , you could have advised at 100 euro, 200eur or even 300 euro that the charges were accruing at this rate. It seems to be your policy to let it runand sting for the maximum you can get.

As a result of this we will now terminate our accounts with Eircom. This is not an isolated case. I have discovered from friends that they have had similar unpleasant experiences with Eircom. We have had enough of Eircom's antics. No more.

Hi there,

- Adam

Given that his normal bill has been 15 euro per month for the last few years , you could have advised at 100 euro, 200eur or even 300 euro that the charges were accruing at this rate. It seems to be your policy to let it runand sting for the maximum you can get.

As a result of this we will now terminate our accounts with Eircom. This is not an isolated case. I have discovered from friends that they have had similar unpleasant experiences with Eircom. We have had enough of Eircom's antics. No more.

Hi there,

- Adam

Given that his normal bill has been 15 euro per month for the last few years , you could have advised at 100 euro, 200eur or even 300 euro that the charges were accruing at this rate. It seems to be your policy to let it run and sting for the maximum you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Whoever you join. I would recommend going for prepay for your child. At least that way. The max he can spend is whatever you topped it up by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Given that his normal bill has been 15 euro per month for the last few years , you could have advised at 100 euro, 200eur or even 300 euro that the charges were accruing at this rate. It seems to be your policy to let it run and sting for the maximum you can get.

Eirs anticys? Ah come off it..

Why is a 14 year old on a bill pay to begin with?
    Why in gods name is he watching Netflix on data?!

Limit it to wifi only for one thing..

Everyone knows that data is a giant bill grower..

The bill is valid, take the medicine and take it as a lesson..

There's literally zero eir can actually do about this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

They should really stop your data after perhaps at most €100 overspend and require you to log in and move to a more appropriate plan.

The out of bundle rates charged by all the networks are very, very steep.

They’re designed to discourage excessive use. However, I would doubt the networks make much money out of people accidentally going out of bundle and it’s likely to cause people to respond by giving out online or even closing accounts.

They might be better off to throttle or stop data beyond a bundle. They can do it with prepay so I don’t understand why they can’t do it with bill pay. It’s clearly not technically difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

flaneur wrote: »
    They should really stop your data after perhaps at most €100 overspend and require you to log in and move to a more appropriate plan.

The out of bundle rates charged by all the networks are very, very steep.

They’re designed to discourage excessive use. However, I would doubt the networks make much money out of people accidentally going out of bundle and it’s likely to cause people to respond by giving out online or even closing accounts.

They might be better off to throttle or stop data beyond a bundle. They can do it with prepay so I don’t understand why they can’t do it with bill pay. It’s clearly not technically difficult.
    Hi flaneur, 

thank you for getting in touch. 

I will be assured to relay your feedback to the relevant department in regards to this. 

Thanks, 
    Adam

Advertisement