Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Simple* beginners plan

• 27-08-2017 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm a 42 year old male, slim, in ok condition for somebody who doesn't do much. Some previous gym attempts, but considering how long ago it was, I'm starting from scratch.

I'm looking for something that's reasonably full-body, but much much simpler than the likes of this:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-ultimate-beginner-3-day-full-body-routine.html

I've tried stuff like that before, and psychologically it doesn't work for me. Tracking what I've done, how many reps, what weights, on paper or using an app, for 12 different exercises, (or even 6), is just a distraction.

I have a barbell, a bench, a pull up bar, and about 60kg of weights. I'd rather not commit to a gym. I'll be more likely to do something if I walk into my living room and see the equipment sitting there than if I have to travel a couple of miles.

I was thinking of doing deadlifts, along with maybe 2 other exercises to target what the deadlifts don't target. What would people suggest? I've always found pullups and chinups hard to keep up for more than a couple of days, so an alternative to those would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've tried stuff like that before, and psychologically it doesn't work for me. Tracking what I've done, how many reps, what weights, on paper or using an app, for 12 different exercises, (or even 6), is just a distraction.

Just to clarify, is this saying you don't want a program that prescribes sets and reps or just that you would track those metrics if it was less than 6 exercises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just to clarify, is this saying you don't want a program that prescribes sets and reps or just that you would track those metrics if it was less than 6 exercises?

The latter. I wouldn't mind tracking a small number of exercises. I want to target as much of the body as possible, but with as few exercises as possible. I keep hearing how deadlifts are good, so I'm hoping I can base something around those.

Edit: Just to add, I believe in the importance of building a habit over time by not doing too much too soon, so I could even rephrase it as, what 2 exercises should I do alongside deadlifts, to get me started for a couple of months? I can always add a bit more down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

i got as far as - for muscle gain = abstain from any cardio and shut the page down on the program you linked

Whats your weight, goals and have you ever deadllifted before?

Transform wrote: »
    i got as far as - for muscle gain = abstain from any cardio and shut the page down on the program you linked

Whats your weight, goals and have you ever deadllifted before?

I'm 81kg, 6ft 4 - I don't think I deadlifted when I used a gym years ago. I practiced a few days ago with an almost empty bar, just to get the form right, and was surprised that I could feel it in my hamstrings the next day. Tried again a couple of days later with a little weight and didn't feel anything the day after, so will do it again tomorrow with actual weight.

Goals are vanity based, honestly. I'd like to see a difference in upper back, shoulders, triceps if I happen to walk by a mirror or a shop window. At the same time I'd rather do this as part of a full-body workout than just target these areas. I'm not in any hurry, either. I'm really hoping to come up with a plan I can do long-term rather than something I won't want to stick to after 3 weeks.

I'm 81kg, 6ft 4 - I don't think I deadlifted when I used a gym years ago. I practiced a few days ago with an almost empty bar, just to get the form right, and was surprised that I could feel it in my hamstrings the next day. Tried again a couple of days later with a little weight and didn't feel anything the day after, so will do it again tomorrow with actual weight.

Goals are vanity based, honestly. I'd like to see a difference in upper back, shoulders, triceps if I happen to walk by a mirror or a shop window. At the same time I'd rather do this as part of a full-body workout than just target these areas. I'm not in any hurry, either. I'm really hoping to come up with a plan I can do long-term rather than something I won't want to stick to after 3 weeks.
    whats your current weight and do you do any conditioning? eg do you walk for exercise regularly - 40-60mins brisk?

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    whats your current weight and do you do any conditioning? eg do you walk for exercise regularly - 40-60mins brisk?

I'm 81kg, but 6'4 at least, so not overweight. I would make a point of walking 30 to 60 minutes most days. I jog 3km to 4 km four times a week, and I hill-walked 20km very comfortably a couple of months back.

I'm 81kg, but 6'4 at least, so not overweight. I would make a point of walking 30 to 60 minutes most days. I jog 3km to 4 km four times a week, and I hill-walked 20km very comfortably a couple of months back.
    Day 1

Warm up - foam roll and stretch - this for 10-15mins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EgwMa0oYU

Strength work - Deadlift 3-5reps x 5 sets + Push up 5-10reps (add weight into a back back as you get stronger) x 5 - do a set of deadlifts, go straight into push ups, rest 90secs x 5

The above should take you between 15-20mins no including warm up sets

Accessory work - Hollow holds 30secs + X-band walks 10reps + Leg curls on a glider/towel etc 8reps x 5 sets - move through the three movements with some urgency but rest as needed

Day 2

Strength work - Lunges or step ups 6reps per leg + Pull ups/chin ups 3-6reps (add weight into a backpack as you get stronger) x 5 sets with 90secs rest between sets

The above should take you between 15-20mins no including warm up sets

Accessory work - barbell curls or triceps press downs with bands or triceps extensions with a bar 8-10reps + toes pointed plank 20-30secs hold + one arm rows with dumbbell 8reps per side x 4-5sets - move through the three movements with some urgency but rest as needed

If you want to get in more conditioning then add in 1min of bike/run/row etc between every set of the accessory work

So session should be done in about 40mins and if you have more free time then go back to the mobility video i linked and do more of that. Often see clients that are strong and fit enough but almost never see them mobile enough

all the best

That looks good, Transform. I'll get started on it. Thanks for putting so much into your answer.

That looks good, Transform. I'll get started on it. Thanks for putting so much into your answer.
    Any questions just ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I found convict conditioning good. It describes progressions for various bodyweight exercises for the whole body. It requires a pull-up bar and a basketball.

You might find bridges difficult to progress with because of the flexibility requirement. Deadlifts would fill the same gap. You're likely to exceed 60kg with deadlifts pretty quickly though.

I found I didn't build mass the same way as with barbell training - partly because the bodyweight aspect discourages aggressive bulking. At some of the slightly advanced stages the exercises tend to be one armed/legged which does great things for core strength.

• Advertisement
Advertisement