Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter window boxes

Options
  • 27-08-2017 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi

Every year I make up some window boxes with Petunias and they looked fantastic this year until the rain destroyed them. I hate the bare look of my windows when the boxes are put away so I'm looking for some ideas of what I can put in them for the winter.

Really I would love someone to tell me exactly and the quantity I should get for boxes about 2 ft wide. Pics would help!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For winter boxes you could use pansies, small cyclamen, a few miniature daffodil bulbs to flower in spring. Look out for a few small, evergreen shrubby or conifer plants - there are many that will be quite inexpensive - to give a bit of fullness of greenery. In a two foot box (and depending on how big from front to back) you could put maybe 2 evergreens, 4 pansies and 3 cyclamen, with a dozen small daffs scattered between them. Or three evergreens and 4 cyclamen, whatever you prefer really. Use John Innes compost rather than potting compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

i love the ornamental cabbages also. they look good in my boxes every autumn/winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

looksee wrote: »
    For winter boxes you could use pansies, small cyclamen, a few miniature daffodil bulbs to flower in spring. Look out for a few small, evergreen shrubby or conifer plants - there are many that will be quite inexpensive - to give a bit of fullness of greenery. In a two foot box (and depending on how big from front to back) you could put maybe 2 evergreens, 4 pansies and 3 cyclamen, with a dozen small daffs scattered between them. Or three evergreens and 4 cyclamen, whatever you prefer really. Use John Innes compost rather than potting compost.

Brilliant. That's the detail I need and was hoping for!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kevin67

i prefer heather as think it looks great

and then in summer i can remove and plant in garden

Advertisement