Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets not on main fuse board ?

Options
  • 27-08-2017 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Thanks for any insights

We were doing some work on house today and switched off all circuit breakers
    at the fuse board except the main circuit breaker. We left the main circuit breaker on so as not to trigger the alarm. After this, I noticed that some sockets in the main bedroom were still live. It seems to imply that these sockets are not
    connected to any of the individual circuit breakers but wired instead to the main circuit breaker OR else to the alarm circuit. Is it possible to have it wired like this. The alarm system is old. The main alarm control panel is situated in a cupboard in this same bedroom. Is it possible or usual that the sockets and alarm panel are all wired on the same circuit directly to the main power source ?
    or is there amy other possible explanation ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

SeanSouth wrote: »
    We left the main circuit breaker on so as not to trigger the alarm.

Intruder alarms sound not activate when the mains is switched off. As you can imagine there would be a hell of a racket when there is a power cut if this was the case! Alarm panels have a back up battery which should keep them operational for at least 24 hours.

After this, I noticed that some sockets in the main bedroom were still live. It seems to imply that these sockets are not
    connected to any of the individual circuit breakers but wired instead to the main circuit breaker OR else to the alarm circuit.

.... or they may be supplied from another board.
    Is it possible to have it wired like this. The alarm system is old.

Anything is possible with old wiring, but if it is wired as you suspect this would not align with current regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

Thanks for the response

Yes every time there is a power outage, the alarm goes off. This is or was a common set up. That much I do know

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

SeanSouth wrote: »
    Yes every time there is a power outage, the alarm goes off. This is or was a common set up. That much I do know

Then there is an issue with the alarm too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The alarm should be supplied from a circuit breakers too, so if they were all off the alarm should have no power!

Post a picture of the fuse board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

2011 wrote: »
    Then there is an issue with the alarm too :)

Older alarms do that. There's probably a setting change required.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Older alarms do that. There's probably a setting change required.

Yes, very old alarms.
    I have seen 30 year alarms with battery back up.

On another point, there is no regulation stating that an intruder alarm can not be fed from a socket circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, very old alarms.
    I have seen 30 year alarms with battery back up.

Have to assume the OP's alarm also has a battery back up, otherwise there must be a distortion in physics to allow it to sound without any power....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

SuperS54 wrote:
    Have to assume the OP's alarm also has a battery back up, otherwise there must be a distortion in physics to allow it to sound without any power....

Alot of outdoor bells have there own batteries which will sound if the panel inside looses mains power and the battery is disconnected or dead.

As for sockets my biggest concern here would be it sounds like there not protected by an RCD which would be a serious potential hazard. Post picture of board showing everything you turned off if you can.

Advertisement