Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See.Sense Dublin Trial (possible cheap lights)

Options
  • 27-08-2017 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Saw this on my Facebook feed so thought I'd share. It's legitimate. Commuters can register and potentially be selected to join the trial and get a € 90 light for € 20 in return for sharing data as it links to smart phone:

LINK

BLURB
    Smart Dublin and See.Sense, a winner of the Smart Dublin Cycle Challenge have partnered on an innovative project to use crowdsourced data from cyclists to help get more people on their bikes.

Data from the trial will be shared with the Smart Dublin initiative. This data will help the city identify and prioritise investments in cycling infrastructure and policies. This will allow cycling to integrate fully as an efficient and sustainable transport alternative to the car and provide the opportunity to significantly boost the number of cyclists across the city.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE
    Register your interest by completing this short survey. The survey is used to ensure that we have a good representation of cyclists across the city.

HOW THE TRIAL WORKS

The selected participants will be able to purchase a Smart Dublin branded ICON light at a heavily subsidised price of €20 (RRP €90).

Potential participants will be asked to complete a survey. There are 500 lights available for the trial. This survey is used to ensure that we have a good representative pool of cyclists across the city.

Please note these lights are specifically designed for the trial. They will only function when paired with an android phone.

The lights can be collected from predefined collection points around the city.

The trial will run from the 14th of August until November.

The anonymised and aggregated data collected during this time will be shared with your city.

The data collected will be used to help inform the city about the safety and infrastructure issues facing cyclists. This will in turn be used to help influence policy decisions regarding cycling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Sounds good. Loadsa people have signed up, and See.Sense say they're currently "selecting participants".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I signed up a few weeks ago and no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I got an email from them this evening to say I"d been selected, have ordered my 20e light :) delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Ordered mine there, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Ditto. When ordering the light first my code only took 20 quid off the price, as opposed to reducing it to 20 euro, but when I emailed them to query it they promptly responded that there had been a "hiccup" and that all codes have been corrected since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

In T&C you can read that the light will operate at minimum intensity if not connected to the app.

Would it be at all useful at this setting?

Do they plan to get rid of this limitation once the trial runs out? Is there a finish date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Alek wrote: »
    In T&C you can read that the light will operate at minimum intensity if not connected to the app.

Would it be at all useful at this setting?

Do they plan to get rid of this limitation once the trial runs out? Is there a finish date?
    I run mine at 10% most of the time. I'd probably only up the % if it was dark and wet

cython wrote: »
    Ditto. When ordering the light first my code only took 20 quid off the price, as opposed to reducing it to 20 euro, but when I emailed them to query it they promptly responded that there had been a "hiccup" and that all codes have been corrected since.

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Me too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got one too, it went to my junk mail though. Pick up is right beside work too. I've a rear dynamo light which does something similar for braking etc, but I've never installed so interested in this

• Advertisement

I think I'll pass. One more thing to think/care of... With my current Blackburn single LED 2xAA tail light, I get a few months use out of a set of batteries...

Anyone wants the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Alek wrote: »
    I think I'll pass. One more thing to think/care of... With my current Blackburn single LED 2xAA tail light, I get a few months use out of a set of batteries...

Anyone wants the code?
    Hi Alek, if not gone yet I'd take it. I registered but never got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Registered twice and never heard back from them

g0g wrote: »
    Hi Alek, if not gone yet I'd take it. I registered but never got one.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I ordered two new lights ahead of winter for the missus and me Saturday, then late yesterday we get these emails. :rolleyes: Thankfully only front lights in the order and these are rear lights, looking forward to trying them out.

Does anyone know what data exactly DCC get from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

No email so if anyone has one they don't want let me know

Thanks

buffalo wrote: »
    I ordered two new lights ahead of winter for the missus and me Saturday, then late yesterday we get these emails. :rolleyes: Thankfully only front lights in the order and these are rear lights, looking forward to trying them out.

Does anyone know what data exactly DCC get from this?

This is what it says in the T&C's
    We collect information whenever you use your See.Sense ICON light in conjunction with the official See.Sense ICON application. We collect data pertaining to your environment when cycling, as well as your behaviour as you respond to this environment. This includes information that can help us to detect where accidents/near miss events occur and specific locations where potholes may form. We do not consider this information to be personal data. The See.Sense phone application gives the user the option to set a privacy zone within which no data will be collected. It is recommended that the user include their home within their privacy zone as this will ensure that a home address cannot be identified. If we link together other information in a way that renders this data individually identifiable, we will treat the combined information as personal information and will treat it as laid out below. We will also collect some personal information in the signing up process, such as name, email address and demographic data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What's stopping anyone not transmitting data from their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Once the trial ends will it function normally when not paired with the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

jon1981 wrote: »
    Once the trial ends will it function normally when not paired with the phone?
    Was wondering that too. I don't think I'd be interested unless it functions normally afterwards - not that I'm likely to be offered anyway as I only registered the other day.
    I'd imagine the light knows when it is connected to "home" and you would need a data connection enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭dom_1000

I bought one of these lights, and have to pick them up at the civic offices.
    Does anyone know the dates of when they are released?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

dom_1000 wrote: »
    19/09. I called yesterday and he said they're gonna email people to let then know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

dom_1000 wrote: »

I got an email with a subject line that started "Important Information - Please read", that included the following:
    We are pleased to advise that your See.Sense ICON Dublin Trial light will be available for collection from Tuesday 19th of September, from your preferred collection point selected at checkout.
    When your light is ready for collection we will send you another email to confirm your collection point details.
    (their emphasis)

Now I'm not saying that you don't read your emails, but... :pac::p

If you signed up on an agreement that you would transmit information (during the trial) it would be dishonest not to. Afterwards you can choose when to use the app and when not to, or to delete the app altogether.
    I use one of these lights & have just set up the crash report mode. It works when the app is present on the phone & when Bluetooth is switched on. I keep Bluetooth off normally.
    (I only use the ICON light on my 'good' bike, I don't switch it to my functional old crock for shopping & with in town etc. If I were in the trial I would of course use it on both bikes.)
    They're the best back lights I've ever had, with endless battery life and automatic switch-off when the bike is still for a while and a flashing pattern that changes when you slow for traffic lights, attracting drivers' attention. I haven't tried the front lights.
    If they install a SigFox tracker they will be the best lights in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I got picked in the end, so pitched up the the Docklands offices the other morning to pick it up. No sign of them there yet there and no email, so will sit tight.

Edit - just scrolled down the email I got. Ready for collection 19th September :o

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Just collected my light from the docklands office. Thanks OP. Looking forward to using it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Picked mine up too from there. Long list of names yet to pick some up. Someone in front of me had a lovely Surly Long Haul Trucker too..

Me too, looking forward to trying it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Was there a secret handshake to get these lights ? I filled in the survey, but heard nothing back, not even an acknowledgement. Not really a big thing anyway, I thought they were the lights with the cameras built in, but I realise now that they are not.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Was there a secret handshake to get these lights ? I filled in the survey, but heard nothing back, not even an acknowledgement. Not really a big thing anyway, I thought they were the lights with the cameras built in, but I realise now that they are not.

Me too, but I reckoned that I'm probably not enough of a commuter for the trial. Can't remember what the initial survey said - did they ask your location, for instance? Maybe they're looking for people in a specific geographical pattern?

Advertisement