Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See.Sense Dublin Trial (possible cheap lights)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

Just picked mine up from Docklands building.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

PaulieC wrote: »
    Was there a secret handshake to get these lights ? I filled in the survey, but heard nothing back, not even an acknowledgement. Not really a big thing anyway, I thought they were the lights with the cameras built in, but I realise now that they are not.

Did you check your junk mail? Mine kept going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did you check your junk mail? Mine kept going there.

Damn, I empty mine regularly! Never occurred to me to check for it because I've talked to See.Sense's help staff on email before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Checked the junk mail, nothing there. Maybe, as was suggested, my commute wasn't in the right area, or long or interesting enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

PaulieC wrote: »
    Checked the junk mail, nothing there. Maybe, as was suggested, my commute wasn't in the right area, or long or interesting enough.

I can't remember now what I said in the survey :pac::pac:. I'm sure it was very close to the truth though....

My phone is not too happy with the new light though as it's already drained the battery and I haven't actually gone anywhere yet :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Picked up my light there, I was hoping it had a GPS onboard but it seems location is determined from your phone, so you need to have that with you.

Curious to see what kind of reporting and tracking they will bring out to the app once all the lights have been distributed.

The thing is Super bright though! Lots of cool flashing patterns, and its rechargeable which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i've already ordered my rack mount for mine, yet to pick it up though! will try to get down in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Did ye get email after purchase to confirm ready for collection at the collection point chosen??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bambaata wrote: »
    Did ye get email after purchase to confirm ready for collection at the collection point chosen??

The last email I got was 'See.Sense Dublin Data Trial - Collecting Your Light & App Download Details'.

They're fierce bright, aren't they? I turned the intensity down to 10%, that seems plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Got mine today. Is it just me, or is it significantly more ugly than the normal See.Sense Icon / Icon+?

The elasticated mounting wrap is light blue, as is the rubber sealant (rather than black and red respectively). The body is a lightish grey (as opposed to the usual black).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Noticed that myself, it's probably the DCC edition and the colours reflect their branding

Got mine today. Is it just me, or is it significantly more ugly than the normal See.Sense Icon / Icon+?

The elasticated mounting wrap is light blue, as is the rubber sealant (rather than black and red respectively). The body is a lightish grey (as opposed to the usual black).

Photo?

The one thing I really dislike about the See.Sense Icon is that it doesn't have a proper mounting, just a rubber band.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Photo?

The one thing I really dislike about the See.Sense Icon is that it doesn't have a proper mounting, just a rubber band.

The mount is built into the light itself effectively. It's a sturdy rubber band and should do the job similar to the Cycliq bands, but I'd prefer a separate mount, though this makes it easier putting on different bikes.

Trouble with a rubber band is that it's easy for you to put it on - and equally easy for a thief to take it off, if you forget to bring it with you when you leave your bike.

Not that this isn't so with plenty of other mounts, but it's visibly so with the rubber band.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Chuchote wrote: »
    Photo?

Hope pictures appear, I've never posted a picture from my mobile before.

Putting image tags around the link addresses

428345.jpg

428346.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Picked up mine yesterday from Woodquay and yeah, have to agree that there's a very Dublin Bikes/DCC colour scheme about it, but having said that I'm not going to complain given the massive differential in price between what I paid and the RRP. As another poster said though, the impact to my phone battery of the GPS recording is appreciable, so hopefully they lift that requirement and allow it to function normally when the data collection phase is done. My Edge 520 on bluetooth has nowhere near the same impact, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

cython wrote: »
    Picked up mine yesterday from Woodquay and yeah, have to agree that there's a very Dublin Bikes/DCC colour scheme about it, but having said that I'm not going to complain given the massive differential in price between what I paid and the RRP. As another poster said though, the impact to my phone battery of the GPS recording is appreciable, so hopefully they lift that requirement and allow it to function normally when the data collection phase is done. My Edge 520 on bluetooth has nowhere near the same impact, for example.

The explainer video on see.sense said it should be about 5% battery drain per hour. That was optimistic by the sounds of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Mine seems to work fine without being connected to the app. I can use the app to set the brightness and it seems to work at that level then without being connected

Peterx wrote: »
    The explainer video on see.sense said it should be about 5% battery drain per hour. That was optimistic by the sounds of it?

I think mine had drained about 10% this morning over 55 mins but having said that I'm badly in need of a new battery for my phone!

I hadn't even noticed the colour :) I did notice however that my lovely new and impossible to miss light had zero impact on the number of close passes either yesterday evening or this morning :(.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's two way comms between the phone and the light, i guess? i would guess that could explain the battery drain - GPS tracking on its own has a barely noticeable effect on my phone, such as when i'm using it with strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The test app they make you download is abit sh*t. Anyone manage to test the SMS works ?

jon1981 wrote: »
    The test app they make you download is abit sh*t. Anyone manage to test the SMS works ?

Are you on android or iPhone? I've android myself, and while I now get a message about not being able to check battery level (haven't bothered testing the crash thing), the test app is a lot more polished than the "mainstream" one that looks like a bad iOS port, and it actually feels like a native app now.

Im going to wrap one in bubble wrap and throw it against a wall outside the house sometime next week with the emergency contact present if I get a chance

jon1981 wrote: »

Yes I used the 'test' button on the app and the person got a text along with a link to my location.

There's not much in the app really that I can see except being able to change the light settings on it, I thought I might be able to see the info it's sending to wherever it's going!

I just had a look back to remember what information they are actually collecting
    What is my light measuring?

The light is measuring characteristics about the road conditions such as location and formation of potholes, situational information such as near-miss events, and also how often cyclists use roads, cycle lanes and greenways. In addition, See Sense ICON can also collect data about theft and crash incidents.

I wonder what they mean by 'near miss' events and how they know if/when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Yes I used the 'test' button on the app and the person got a text along with a link to my location.

There's not much in the app really that I can see except being able to change the light settings on it, I thought I might be able to see the info it's sending to wherever it's going!

I just had a look back to remember what information they are actually collecting
    [/B]

I wonder what they mean by 'near miss' events and how they know if/when that happens.

From what I understood, the app would contain functionality to select points on your route and highlight things like potholes and near misses etc. Perhaps that functionality is coming once everyone has received their lights.

[/B]

papu wrote: »
    From what I understood, the app would contain functionality to select points on your route and highlight things like potholes and near misses etc. Perhaps that functionality is coming once everyone has received their lights.

With the tester app that I have, whenever I disconnect the app from the light, I get prompted to fill in a couple of questions, and to note locations of incidents that might have "scared" me, so there's definitely an element of active participation required for that. I suspect maybe only traffic patterns are what is gathered passively at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

With the tester app that I have, whenever I disconnect the app from the light, I get prompted to fill in a couple of questions, and to note locations of incidents that might have "scared" me, so there's definitely an element of active participation required for that. I suspect maybe only traffic patterns are what is gathered passively at this rate.

yeah i can't see any way that it could identify near misses by itself so this makes most sense.
    i still haven't been prompted to download the test app - i installed the one i was directed to at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Weepsie wrote: »
    Im going to wrap one in bubble wrap and throw it against a wall outside the house sometime next week with the emergency contact present if I get a chance

Got a panicked call from Mrs. Pinch flat yesterday. Set up her number as the contact person on the app. Had taken the light and put it in my pocket. So it looks like the trigger for crash detection is quite sensitive - nice feature, so interesting to see if it can be tweaked / adjusted to prevent false alarms.

• Advertisement

Oh really? I'm not getting that - I've just been turning the light off when I get home, maybe I should be disconnecting it via the app...

Advertisement