Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See.Sense Dublin Trial (possible cheap lights)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Got a panicked call from Mrs. Pinch flat yesterday. Set up her number as the contact person on the app. Had taken the light and put it in my pocket. So it looks like the trigger for crash detection is quite sensitive - nice feature, so interesting to see if it can be tweaked / adjusted to prevent false alarms.

It asks to sends a test message (looks like you've had a collision, not very testy) out when you change the contact number.

I'd be interested to see what the thresholds are , I dont want to be sending messages when I hit potholes or accidentally bump my bike off a door when I'm leaving work/home.
    Oh really? I'm not getting that - I've just been turning the light off when I get home, maybe I should be disconnecting it via the app...

Didn't know this was the case either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

buffalo wrote:
    They're fierce bright, aren't they? I turned the intensity down to 10%, that seems plenty.

I left mine at 100%. A car pulled alongside me the first evening with a window down to say that my light was very bright. I couldn't tell if it was a compliment or he was giving out. Either way it does make you very visible.

I hadn't even noticed the colour I did notice however that my lovely new and impossible to miss light had zero impact on the number of close passes either yesterday evening or this morning .

I'd really need the equivalent front light as all my close shaves have been with drivers pulling out in front of me.
    jon1981 wrote:
    The test app they make you download is abit sh*t. Anyone manage to test the SMS works ?

I tried the first evening but Three messaging wasn't working until my Mrs have me a dig at 4am about it coming in then.

I use the theft mode at home. Works nicely if bike is moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I use the theft mode at home. Works nicely if bike is moved.

Does it eat the battery (of either phone or light)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It doesn't seem to drain my battery that I've noticed. I have a garmin watch connect to my phone most of the time too, but also have a lot of background things turned off.
    Anyway, tested the theft thing and worked well.

The crash thing was a bit sensitive. I just dropped it onto the couch and my OH got a message she didn't like

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Weepsie wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to drain my battery that I've noticed. I have a garmin watch connect to my phone most of the time too, but also have a lot of background things turned off.
    Anyway, tested the theft thing and worked well.

The crash thing was a bit sensitive. I just dropped it onto the couch and my OH got a message she didn't like

Ohoh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Had a fair bit of trouble getting my phone to connect to the light on day 1. Played around with sequence of turning on Bluetooth and eventually got it to work. Haven't found it to be much of a drain on the battery and apparently it's only used about 1mb of data over the course of about 90 minutes use.

Kurtosis wrote: »
    Had a fair bit of trouble getting my phone to connect to the light on day 1. Played around with sequence of turning on Bluetooth and eventually got it to work. Haven't found it to be much of a drain on the battery and apparently it's only used about 1mb of data over the course of about 90 minutes use.

Japers, careful if you bring it out foreign!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Chuchote wrote: »
    Japers, careful if you bring it out foreign!

In light of the connectivity being used to gather data about Dublin, I suspect you'd be ok to disable data if abroad :)

cython wrote: »
    In light of the connectivity being used to gather data about Dublin, I suspect you'd be ok to disable data if abroad :)

Er, that's what I was saying: that you should be careful to disable data if you bring it with you.

Try explaining to Virgin Media that you don't want to pay €500 for overrunning your data allowance while in France or Northern Ireland because "it's only designed to gather data on Dublin".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Chuchote wrote: »
    Er, that's what I was saying: that you should be careful to disable data if you bring it with you.

Try explaining to Virgin Media that you don't want to pay €500 for overrunning your data allowance while in France or Northern Ireland because "it's only designed to gather data on Dublin".

Well if you want to use France/NI as an example (at least pre-Brexit for the latter!), then since they are EU unless you've already used a lot of data you should actually be safe enough since the new EU directive has come into force requiring better data roaming allowances.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Well if you want to use France/NI as an example (at least pre-Brexit for the latter!), then since they are EU unless you've already used a lot of data you should actually be safe enough since the new EU directive has come into force requiring better data roaming allowances.

Yes, absolutely, but it's not that hard to top your data allowance - a few YouTubes and you're over it, and then you're up to paying by the megabyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oh really? I'm not getting that - I've just been turning the light off when I get home, maybe I should be disconnecting it via the app...

This is driving me mad now :pac: my app seems to have updated and the new one does have a setting to give feedback after journeys, however - it doesn't let me turn on/off the light any more, or change the pulse settings on it, or do anything at all :(. I just get a spinning wheel on a blank screen.....The light & the app don't seem to be connected anymore!

I've been on to their support but other than the usual turn off/on again and make sure you've enabled bluetooth they don't seem to be able to sort it. Looks like I'm not going to be any use to them in the trial so which is a real shame. I also can't change the intensity on the light either.

Anyone else with similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I got the normal app from the app store and can adjust light intensity and change settings.
    I didn't think the normal app would be giving the data to the planners so I tried to load the test app.
    All that happened was I got a note saying I am now a tester but the app hasn't changed over to the tester app.

I'm on Firmware v69 but there's no option to update or change to the tester app.

It's a waste of their resources. I have the light but not the ability to send the data that I agreed to send in order to get the cheaper light.
    edit : I think that's the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This is driving me mad now :pac: my app seems to have updated and the new one does have a setting to give feedback after journeys, however - it doesn't let me turn on/off the light any more, or change the pulse settings on it, or do anything at all :(. I just get a spinning wheel on a blank screen.....The light & the app don't seem to be connected anymore!

I've been on to their support but other than the usual turn off/on again and make sure you've enabled bluetooth they don't seem to be able to sort it. Looks like I'm not going to be any use to them in the trial so which is a real shame. I also can't change the intensity on the light either.

Anyone else with similar issues?

I had that problem, I just closed all the processes on the phone and relaunched the app, it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Can people still connect to the app? Since it was updated I am unable to....

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I haven't tried for a few day's however my phone battery if getting hammered when connected, so much so that I'm very reluctant to use it. I genuinely do want to use it as that was the agreement buy my battery dropped by about 30% after about 20 min's use!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

my app must have updated automatically over the weekend.
    when i went to use it today i had the new app, connected fine and seemed to give me all the options for changing intensity / settings etc. it then asked me to log any incidents from my ride.

i'd say it took about 15% of my phone battery for a 40 minute ride.

Is anyone still having issues connecting the app to the light? Takes me a few minutes each time trying a few different things. If there's a certain sequence of activating Bluetooth, the light, the app etc. that is working for people, would appreciate any tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is anyone still having issues connecting the app to the light? Takes me a few minutes each time trying a few different things. If there's a certain sequence of activating Bluetooth, the light, the app etc. that is working for people, would appreciate any tips.

I've heard two people with them report connectivity issues.

Yep, I still haven't managed to connect mine to the upgraded app. What sequence are you finding works? My version of the app just has a big white screen with 'available' on it and a dot dot dot menu line on the right. noting else..!

Edit: has anyone else who's having issues been in contact with see.sense?

• Advertisement

mine failed to connect yesterday evening first time out. switched off bluetooth on my phone, closed the app, switched back on bluetooth, opened the app again and it worked.

any thoughts on battery life of the light itself? mine seemed to give me around 3 hours since the last charge. it was at 41% leaving the house this morning for a 40-45 min commute and was dead by the time i got to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Has anyone else already noticed that it resets itself to super-dim-and-useless mode every time you charge it?

You have to open the app on your phone and hit connect after every charge to get it to brighten up and flash properly again, which is an absolute joke.

If I happen to forget my phone or the battery is dead it means I've a close to useless light to ride home with. I've emailed them about this already and I'm awaiting a response, but it seems like a massive safety concern to me. If it's the only light I have with me at work and this happens, I've no light to ride home with.

I realise we paid a heavily subsidised price for these, but this degraded mode that it regresses into after charging is a deal-breaker for me. I'll be returning it if they don't change this behaviour.

Additionally, it irks me that they're very vague about the data it's collecting. Why can't I see a snapshot of what it's collected? There's mention of setting up a privacy zone so that they can't link the data they're collecting to you personally, but I haven't found that. It looks to me like they'll be contravening several aspects of the coming GDPR regulations.

mine reset to 100% intensity after i charged it yesterday!

the app also told me this morning that the light was at 100%, despite me using it for 40 mins on my commute home yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had issues trying to get mine on this morning. I don't use the app, just the switch on the back. Looked like it was dead battery wise, so used a back up light. Got to work, plugged it in and it was reporting 65% battery on the app.

Tempted to get a see sense front light and sync them - apparently you don't have to turn both off, just one on the front. My only concern would be dark roads in the phoenix park - so I'll have it on flash mode in the city, then have to turn the constant beam on. Is the front light smart enough to do this itself i.e. sense that you;'re now away from street ;lighting? Faffing about with the switch on the front would be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I got mine last week and I had connectivity issues with the light and pairing it with my phone but it seemed to be an app issue. I managed to disconnect and reconnect by complete fluke and it works now. I'm using the "ICON" app with it which I presume people here are referring to as the Test app. It isn't clear when it tracks rides, I thought it would track a ride like strava and I would upload it to DCC after each journey but I don't see that on the app so presume it's tracked behind the scenes. Hard to know for sure. So far I can change the flashing modes, brightness intensity, set privacy area and crash and theft modes. I was expecting more around GPS tracking, thought that was the point.

I got a panicked call from Mrs Hungrycol this morning saying she go a text that I crashed. So if you take the light off your bike be careful what you do with it next. It's probably a function I'll leave off or have a very angry(er) wife every day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mine has stopped connecting to the phone.its a good light, but I was interested in providing usable data in the vein hope it would help improve infrastructure in the city

For anyone who's app had updated to the trail version, you can roll it back by opening the email they sent telling us to collect the light, re-click on the link in that and then click on 'leave trial'. Then delete the trial app and now you can download the ordinary app again. As far as i can tell the light works fine with the ordinary app. The support doesn't seem to be great when there's a problem, they had told me it wasn't possible to roll back to the ordinary app but it is, TBH they don't seem to keen to sort any issues, the simply keep offering a refund. I was really keen to take part in the trail, I thought the feedback might have some positive impact on future DCC decisions but if no one is all that bothered to sort out the issues what can we do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

For anyone....you can roll it back by opening the email they sent telling us to collect the light, re-click on the link in that and then click on 'leave trial'. ... The support doesn't seem to be great when there's a problem,...... don't seem to keen to sort any issues....I was really keen to take part in the trail, I thought the feedback might have some positive impact on future DCC decisions but if no one is all that bothered to sort out the issues what can we do...

Keep the heavily discounted light.
    Write to both see.sense and DCC explaining that they have both wasted their money as the data isn't being collected due to buggy app+uninformed staff.

Where is it possible to set up the privacy zone?

Peterx wrote: »
    Keep the heavily discounted light.
    Write to both see.sense and DCC explaining that they have both wasted their money as the data isn't being collected due to buggy app+uninformed staff.

Where is it possible to set up the privacy zone?

Absolutely, I'm planning to keep the light. I've spent several days communicating with see sense support to no avail so I can do no more. As far as I remember the privacy zone was only in the trial app.

• Advertisement

Yep, I still haven't managed to connect mine to the upgraded app. What sequence are you finding works? My version of the app just has a big white screen with 'available' on it and a dot dot dot menu line on the right. noting else..!

Edit: has anyone else who's having issues been in contact with see.sense?

What has been working for me on a fairly regular basis the last few days (running Android 7.1.1 if that makes a difference):
    • Turn light on and then off again via button (not sure if the bluetooth is active on it if it has been idle for a while)
    • Turn on location and bluetooth on my phone
    • Go into the bluetooth settings
    • Click on "ICON" under the Available devices heading (this usually needs me to switch bluetooth off and then on again on my phone a few times before it shows up)
    • Once it comes up as "pairing" after clicking on ICON, open the See Sense app and it generally connects to the light, showing the battery percentage and allowing the cog button next to the light's name to be clicked to turn it on/adjust the settings.

it's not great but it generally works for me. I can try post screenshots later if that would be of any use to anyone.

Advertisement