Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See.Sense Dublin Trial (possible cheap lights)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

App on my phone has changed to city trial so I presume it's harvesting the data. I just leave location and Bluetooth on all the time and let it t do it's thing. Seems fine now although zero feedback about the routes I have taken is unusual for a Strava slave like me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I haven't been able to download the trial app. Keep getting the "App not available for this account" when I go to download despite both emails correct. Perhaps they mistyped my email or something?? Have sent enquiry but no response yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bambaata wrote: »
    I haven't been able to download the trial app. Keep getting the "App not available for this account" when I go to download despite both emails correct. Perhaps they mistyped my email or something?? Have sent enquiry but no response yet

I didn't get to pick up mine until Friday PM. The man in the totally unmarked Smart Dublin office in Wood Quay told me that because my Google Play account was a different email address to the one used to place the order, I should contact them in advance to switch before downloading the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

This email came in from them today:

429646.jpg

429647.jpg

429648.jpg

429649.jpg

Peterx wrote: »
    App on my phone has changed to city trial so I presume it's harvesting the data...

So much for presumption, there is a box you have to tick open to opt in to annoymous data collection on the app. It's not automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I wonder how much DCC are stumping up for this. There's far richer data available from Strava already at https://metro.strava.com/faq/ (free version: http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#12/-6.30238/53.33518/gray/bike)).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I didn't get to pick up mine until Friday PM. The man in the totally unmarked Smart Dublin office in Wood Quay told me that because my Google Play account was a different email address to the one used to place the order, I should contact them in advance to switch before downloading the app.
    My issue here was i didnt register with a different account?? Exact same one, went through the process to correct it as though it was a different one and finally yesterday got a mail back as though it was now corrected. Went through link to download and did but still havent seen this "update" come to enable it onto the trial version. Still sitting on normal app. You'd wonder about these guys if they cant get these basics right! Id imagine theres a significant amount that dont bother wasting their own time trying to correct it to try assist in the trial. Getting to the point of giving up myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Bambaata wrote: »
    My issue here was i didnt register with a different account?? Exact same one, went through the process to correct it as though it was a different one and finally yesterday got a mail back as though it was now corrected. Went through link to download and did but still havent seen this "update" come to enable it onto the trial version. Still sitting on normal app. You'd wonder about these guys if they cant get these basics right! Id imagine theres a significant amount that dont bother wasting their own time trying to correct it to try assist in the trial. Getting to the point of giving up myself

Following the newsletter I decided I try again with the trial app, still no joy, it's beyond frustrating. I tried the following from Kurtosis post earlier
    What has been working for me on a fairly regular basis the last few days (running Android 7.1.1 if that makes a difference):
    Turn light on and then off again via button (not sure if the bluetooth is active on it if it has been idle for a while)
    Turn on location and bluetooth on my phone
    Go into the bluetooth settings
    Click on "ICON" under the Available devices heading (this usually needs me to switch bluetooth off and then on again on my phone a few times before it shows up)
    Once it comes up as "pairing" after clicking on ICON, open the See Sense app and it generally connects to the light, showing the battery percentage and allowing the cog button next to the light's name to be clicked to turn it on/adjust the settings.

I have to say I"m very unimpressed with see.sense - if DCC are paying for this maybe I should contact them directly.

How many people here who have the light are operating the city trial app successfully and how many are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Data:
    GPS - From the phone - Nothing new
    Temp - Who cares???
    Accelerometer - Meh?

Having the same accelerometer chip on each rider has some advantages but its not calibrated, so we cant really compare. Mounted on different bikes so readings will vary wildly so all you can do is pattern match.

Want to see where a crap surface is? Well, take a pot hole. 5 cyclists use this road daily.
    Cyclist 1 - Hugs the gutter, big bump
    Cyclist 2-4 run the middle as they know the gutter sucks, no data
    Cyclist 5 uses the ped path here - huge bump

GPS gives you a 3M diameter on a great day so they all get logged at the same location. What logic do you apply to determine if a fix is required here? If you take the most prevalent data, its fine. If you include outliers then every footpath will be flagged...

This seems like 90% of IOT, connected for the sake of it only. Would love to be proved wrong and we arent wasting money that could be spent on 50x new sheffield stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 redzer_irl

I had difficulty connecting my light to the app this morning and then realised I only had WiFi on as I was at home. As soon as I turned on mobile data, the light connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Yes, this happened to me first time I used it it. I was in the house with phone on wi-fi before I was leaving the house and no connection. Turned off the wi-fi and it connected. However since then, it handles fine when on connecting over wi-fi and moving onto cellular when you start your journey. Maybe it's a first time connection issue.

I've had no issues since and been using it daily for near 2 weeks now.

redzer_irl wrote: »
    I had difficulty connecting my light to the app this morning and then realised I only had WiFi on as I was at home. As soon as I turned on mobile data, the light connected.
    jon1981 wrote: »
    Yes, this happened to me first time I used it it. I was in the house with phone on wi-fi before I was leaving the house and no connection. Turned off the wi-fi and it connected. However since then, it handles fine when on connecting over wi-fi and moving onto cellular when you start your journey. Maybe it's a first time connection issue.

Are you both using android or apple? Could you post a screen shot of the app? Mine looks like this, no menu options apart from the dots on the left and they only allow me to turn on the data collection - no controls for the light or option to fill out a post journey survey.

vbulletinScreenshot_20171005-094212.png

2ee9fw3uy3

[IMG][/img]Screenshot_20171005-094212.png

Android... I thought Apple wasn't supported for the trial?

Annie, sounds like an app problem not a light problem. I had the exact same and then suddenly it worked, dunno why unfortunately.

It should look like this:

429750.png

Ouch sorry the pic is so big :(

Now mine won't either turn on or take a charge. boo.

Did you try deleting and a reinstall?

Did you try deleting and a reinstall?

This is the light now, not the app. The device itself fails to take a charge, the green led lights up for about 2 minutes but then goes out again. The black button on the light itself won't turn it on. A purple coloured led lights up in the green led corner occasionally.

But to answer your question no I didn't try that.

sorry that was meant for the other poster having the app problem.

See Sense help desk sent me this at the time I was having problems:

can you attempt the following self test and let me know the results?

To access the self test perform the following steps:
    (1) connect ICON to a powered USB lead
    (2) press and hold the main button, disconnect the USB
    (3) when you see a green LED indicator, release the main button - if you wait too long, you'll see a constant blue LED, if this happens, please try again
    (4) on releasing the button, ICON will perform various self checks. During this time, it will illuminate the main and indicator LEDs alternately.
    (5) Observe the LEDs. If ICON settles on any single LED for more than 5 seconds, this indicates a potential problem area - please note the colour of that LED. If no LED is illuminated for an extended period, no error has been found.

• Advertisement

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Ouch sorry the pic is so big :(

Boo! yes yours looks much nicer than mine :D

It's definitely an app problem, I've tried all the stuff see.sense suggested + the suggestions here to no avail. There may be some sort of issue with my phone - maybe the app needs more available memory to work although I have deleted a few apps to see if that would help. Thanks for posting the pic so I know what to look for if/when it eventually works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Just had mail off them that I can purchase and collect the light next Tuesday. Wasn't expecting that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Picking one up next week. My wife is also getting one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Looks like these may be a tester for their new lights soon to be launched on kick-starter?

See sense ACE. Providing stats on your cycle and community, with a new app. Help improve your city with ACE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Mine was the other way round, it connected fine at the very first time of asking but ever since then all I get is a twirly circle in the app, which I presume means it is trying to connect?

Anyway, as of this morning this is a moot point as my bike got stolen from our supposedly secure underground parking last night - including the light :( (and the lock - they cut through the bike stand)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I purchased using my code, but haven't received any confirmation from see.sense. Did everyone else get confirmation emails?

Yeah but can't recall how soon after it came through:

Thank you for placing your order with us!

Hi Hungrycol
    Your order will be dispatched as soon as possible, we'll send you another email to confirm this.
    Your order number is 3372.
    Order Details:

line.title
    See.Sense ICON Rear Light - Data Collection (Dublin)

Quantity: 1
    Total: £82.84
    Discount (code: 2

3): £-64.50
    Subtotal: £18.34
    Shipping: £0.00
    Total: £18.34

Mine was the other way round, it connected fine at the very first time of asking but ever since then all I get is a twirly circle in the app, which I presume means it is trying to connect?

Anyway, as of this morning this is a moot point as my bike got stolen from our supposedly secure underground parking last night - including the light :( (and the lock - they cut through the bike stand)

Yep, I'm still getting the twirly circle....

Total bummer on your bike being stolen T :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I purchased using my code, but haven't received any confirmation from see.sense. Did everyone else get confirmation emails?

Yup, it went into my junk mail folder though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Where on customs house quay are these collected?

Advertisement