Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See.Sense Dublin Trial (possible cheap lights)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Where on customs house quay are these collected?

Dublin Docklands office, right by the north end of the Seán O'Casey bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/qNYrvLxi7CF2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Got an email about this on Monday with a discount code but when I clicked through this morning to buy the lights the website said they're sold out??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great.

No email, so I raised a ticket. Got an email from support saying they can't find my order and could I send them the reference number...

Informed them that the money has now left my account and I don't have a reference number as I never got an email.

I'm sure it will be resolved, but talk about a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

430332.JPG

Special prize to anyone who can identify the street in this photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Off fade street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭rob w

Anyone have trouble downloading the app for the trial? I keep getting the following error.

"App not available for this account

Your account isn't currently eligible for this app's testing program.
    If you've been invited to become a tester, make sure that you're signed in to the account that was invited to the testing program. If you've been invited to a Google Group or Google+ Community as part of the program, make sure that you've joined the Group or Community."

I have made sure my purchase email matches my play store email, but still not working. I have sent them a ticket on it this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

rob w wrote: »
    Anyone have trouble downloading the app for the trial? I keep getting the following error.

If you've been invited to become a tester, make sure that you're signed in to the account that was invited to the testing program. If you've been invited to a Google Group or Google+ Community as part of the program, make sure that you've joined the Group or Community."

I have made sure my purchase email matches my play store email, but still not working. I have sent them a ticket on it this morning!

They just need to add your email they did it for me in like a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

rob w wrote: »

In the email they sent about picking it up there's a link to click, when you click on it you then click something about becoming a tester. Did you do that?

In the email they sent about picking it up there's a link to click, when you click on it you then click something about becoming a tester. Did you do that?

Yes, it is that link that is bringing up the error. They just got back to me now, hopefully will be able to sort it out today!

Borderfox wrote: »
    Off fade street?
    That's a negative Borderfox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Essex st or crane lane?

They just launched the new kickstarter. I am guessing that the lights received here are the same ones? I have an Icon rear, worth getting a aset for £40 with the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

el tel wrote: »
    That's a negative Borderfox

It's probably not even in Dublin. Could be a stock See.Sense pic taken in Manchester or Belfast somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hungrycol wrote: »
    It's probably not even in Dublin. Could be a stock See.Sense pic taken in Manchester or Belfast somewhere.

Most likely their office in Belfast, they were busy taking photos on their insta-story the last couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Picked up my lights this morning. Was told they had over 300 this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Picked up my lights this morning. Was told they had over 300 this week!

does that mean they've doubled the trial size or what? i'd thought it was capped at 500 with pickups closing 2 or 3 weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Is it too late to apply for these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

does that mean they've doubled the trial size or what? i'd thought it was capped at 500 with pickups closing 2 or 3 weeks ago?

No idea about the trial size. Just going on what I was told today.

Is anyone signing up for the new lights in Kickstarter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Is anyone signing up for the new lights in Kickstarter?

I did. Though I have multiple v1 and v2 already...

See they reached funding goal in 4 hours with 1300 people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

twinsen wrote: »
    Is it too late to apply for these?
    well, i got an email earlier saying they got loads of applications and couldn't keep everyone happy, so i guess so.

430332.JPG

Special prize to anyone who can identify the street in this photo!
    Sadly no one won the prize for identifying street in the photo.
    Better luck next time!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Better luck next time!

was it identified!? spent a good while google street viewing to no success :pac:

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Better luck next time!

was it identified!? spent a good while google street viewing to no success :pac:

Nope. The street shall remain a mystery! Actually from what I have see See.Sense do a fair amount of promo work around there and neighbouring streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Have to say I'm not sold on these lights at all. I really hope the data being collected is very useful, because I'll probably sell/give away my light once the trial is finished.

There's no useful functionality in the app for me, and it only seems to drain the battery further. If it were just a smart light that flashed slower/faster due to motion or light, that would be plenty - cycle through the modes using the power button, hold down for on/off.

The hassle of having to get out my phone every time I get on/off my bike is irritating. Having to wait for the app to find and connect to the light is more annoying, and having to occasionally restart the app is truly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

buffalo wrote: »
    The hassle of having to get out my phone every time I get on/off my bike is irritating. Having to wait for the app to find and connect to the light is more annoying, and having to occasionally restart the app is truly frustrating.
    This is very off putting and frustrating.

Do the regular (non-trial) lights work in a similar fashion? I do like all shiny new stuff but if you really need your phone to control your lights it super annoying.

One evening I went to cinema after work and battery on my phone died. Light has a tendency to drop the brightness to 10% unless connected to a phone. This made the ride home bit unsafe as it was very rainy and dark.

Based on few weeks of usage I simply could not convince myself to pay the full price for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Hauki wrote: »
    This is very off putting and frustrating.

Do the regular (non-trial) lights work in a similar fashion? I do like all shiny new stuff but if you really need your phone to control your lights it super annoying.

One evening I went to cinema after work and battery on my phone died. Light has a tendency to drop the brightness to 10% unless connected to a phone. This made the ride home bit unsafe as it was very rainy and dark.

Based on few weeks of usage I simply could not convince myself to pay the full price for this.

The regular non trial lights do not behave in this way. They don't need to be connected to the phone.
    I think it's very bad form for a company with a mission of improving cycle safety to hobble these trial lights in this way if the phone connection is not available. As pointed out above it's a safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

If you don't want them "hobbled" then pay the full price. I was fully aware of this limitation and if they're going to sell a product for <50% RRP as was done here, I can't blame them for building in a mechanism to make sure people contribute to the data gathering, otherwise its just a cheap light with no reason to keep contributing, especially if it irritates people as much as claimed on here.

As for a safety issue, again it was made clear up front that this limitation existed, so in the same way that you should have a backup light if the light battery died, perhaps knowing of this limitation you should consider your phone in a backup light strategy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Have to say I'm not sold on these lights at all. I really hope the data being collected is very useful, because I'll probably sell/give away my light once the trial is finished.

There's no useful functionality in the app for me, and it only seems to drain the battery further. If it were just a smart light that flashed slower/faster due to motion or light, that would be plenty - cycle through the modes using the power button, hold down for on/off.

Pretty much summed up all my frustrations with this light (and a lot of "IoT" buzz going around). Solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

The app is VERY annoying. Are you meant to keep it connected to the light all the time? I was getting lots of "help! I've crashed" messages sent to my phone.

Buttons work. Buttons are easy to operate. Unless you somehow don't have the physical capacity to operate the button, what use is the app really other than to show people "look no hands".

It's a cool light, but is it really much better than my 10 euro Smart with 3 modes? I don't think so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I’ve had the regular See Sense Icon for some time now and that’s exactly how it works. The app is utter ****e but I’ve only had to use it a total of two times in a year.

I like the light, it’s plenty bright and I feel the change in flashing frequency is enough to make you extra visible. I couldn’t be bothered with the crash and theft modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Mine stopped working completely. You have to send it to Northern Ireland for a repair/replacement. My first world irritation today stems from the fact there are probably replacement ones sitting in boxes on the quays but I can't get one as they say it has to go to the north.

The app is poor but I never found I had to do much with it as I left it connected all the time. I am not a heavy phone user so was OK to charge the phone every day (didn't bother with crash or theft reporting). It did occasionally disconnect/refuse to see the light but doing a clear all apps on the phone and restarting the app usually saw it re-connected. Until it went dead.

The big selling point for me was an IP67 light for €20. I have gone through a lot of lights with water ingress as I always cycle.
    The minor selling point was the collection of data that might improve my commute.

• Advertisement

I have been using mine for a week or so......I think it was only connected to the app on day 1 though. I assumed it just auto connected once the phone bluetooth was on, similar to my garmin edge! However, I havent noticed any dip in brightness and it seems to work as normal when not connected via bluetooth ( ie no blue flash after shutting it down!!

Advertisement