Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See.Sense Dublin Trial (possible cheap lights)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Confusing me now.

FWIW. Constant front is my pref. I regard the flashing ones as dangerous and distracting. A light does not have to flash for it to be noticed. As far as I can recall, the RTA/ law states ia front light may flash no more than once a second, however there are lots that flash more than that. They are thus illegal on Irish roads.
    To the poster that has the 1400lm beacon. That’s not something for a public road. Totally OTT.

I wonder what the frequency of the strobing light on the Dublin Bikes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

papu wrote: »

I don’t get the relevance. Ask DCC if you really need to know. In my view, they are not strobing lights. They may flicker a bit but I don’t put them in the same category as flashing or your exahherated ‘strobing’ status.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

To the poster that has the 1400lm beacon. That’s not something for a public road. Totally OTT.

Not necessarily. It's not the size, it's how you use it :D
    I have a 950 lumen front light but I only ever use it at around 300 lumen and aim it down so as not to distract oncoming traffic.
    The bigger light means it comes with a bigger battery that means I only need to charge the thing once a week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

papu wrote: »

They're dynamo lights. They should stay relatively constant if you have a consistent speed I guess. That said, urban cycling that they are used for is stop, start.

My own dim fairly quickly, but still give out a light for at least a minute and then go light up again once I'm up to speed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a Cateye volt 700 but its used on solid front with flash, only needs to be charged as said above once a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Riduculous comparisson. We are talking about head lights used primarily for illumination - emergency vehicles don’t have flashing blue main headlights

It's actually a good comparison, see.sense light are not for illumination, but to be noticed. I'm assuming that's why emergency vehicles have flashing lights.

I personally prefer cyclists using flashing lights when I am driving my car, I just notice them quicker in my mirrors when in slow moving traffic and they are coming up my inside/from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Weepsie wrote: »
    They're dynamo lights. They should stay relatively constant if you have a consistent speed I guess. That said, urban cycling that they are used for is stop, start.

My own dim fairly quickly, but still give out a light for at least a minute and then go light up again once I'm up to speed

Yeah, the flickering of Dublin Bike front lights is a bug, not a feature. Once you get up to about 10km/h, the flickering effect disappears. I think. Certainly does on my bakfiets, which also has a hub dynamo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Confusing me now.

FWIW. Constant front is my pref. I regard the flashing ones as dangerous and distracting. A light does not have to flash for it to be noticed. As far as I can recall, the RTA/ law states ia front light may flash no more than once a second, however there are lots that flash more than that. They are thus illegal on Irish roads.

By "distracting" are they drawing attention to them selves?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the challenges associated with attending a group cycling / cyclist event...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

My unit stopped working.
    See.sense support were excellent to deal with and a replacement unit arrived out to me in due course once I eventually got around to posting it North (postage costs reimbursed)

Has anyone else lost, or nearly lost*, the USB cover during charging?

If I was sending feedback I would like that cover to be tethered to the unit as opposed to the current scenario whereby it comes away from the unit during charging.

*I freely admit my charging location could be neater...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

that said, i was mulling over the other evening whether some motorist would see me coming towards them and decide not that 'there's a cyclist with two lights mounted six inches apart on the handlebars', but 'there's a car coming and it's still a few hundred metres away'.

On at least one occasion, the missus and myself cycling along the canal in darkness with a bright front light each have been mistaken for a car. It's useful for scaring the scumbags away who assume it's a Garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Peterx wrote: »
    My unit stopped working.
    See.sense support were excellent to deal with and a replacement unit arrived out to me in due course once I eventually got around to posting it North (postage costs reimbursed)

Has anyone else lost, or nearly lost*, the USB cover during charging?

If I was sending feedback I would like that cover to be tethered to the unit as opposed to the current scenario whereby it comes away from the unit during charging.

*I freely admit my charging location could be neater...

I had a faulty unit also, like yourself I found their support excellent. To prevent losing the cover I use the mounting strap to secure it to the unit during charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

What were the general faults?

Reason I ask is that yesterday morning I started my commute with 48% battery. This should be good for a few hours of run time yet considering it took me about 3 days of commuting to get it to that point. About half way in it switched off. Wouldn't turn back on, phone app stated charge as 0%. Now I know cold weather seriously drop performance of lithium batteries and that's fair enough but it's been colder and not used anywhere near that amount.

Fully charged it and it was fine, well it worked again however now the brightness seems to randomly change and the connection via the phone app is extremely patchy at best. I usually have to do the android force stop the app then re-open for it to pick up the light.

These the same issues you faced?

gmacww wrote: »

Reason I ask is that yesterday morning I started my commute with 48% battery. This should be good for a few hours of run time yet considering it took me about 3 days of commuting to get it to that point. About half way in it switched off. Wouldn't turn back on, phone app stated charge as 0%. Now I know cold weather seriously drop performance of lithium batteries and that's fair enough but it's been colder and not used anywhere near that amount.

Fully charged it and it was fine, well it worked again however now the brightness seems to randomly change and the connection via the phone app is extremely patchy at best. I usually have to do the android force stop the app then re-open for it to pick up the light.

i think the battery reading on the app for my light is horse**** tbh. the battery life itself is fine i think (get through about 150km per week commuting on 1 charge @40% brightness and flashing mode), but i'd similarly relied on that reading and got caught out in the same way as you.

the brightness seems to reset to 100% every time i charge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

gmacww wrote: »

Reason I... Wouldn't turn back on, phone app stated charge as 0%.... extremely patchy at best. I usually have to do the android force stop the app then re-open for it to pick up the light.

Mine wouldn't turn back on. I think moisture might have got into the circuitry. I cycle in all conditions, which was the attraction of IP67 but to be fair IP67 does not mean waterproof.

Tried various resets as suggested by the support page but it was just dead. The support team were excellent to deal with and a replacement light was posted out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The original versions were very robust. I put one through the washing machine and still going strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw a cyclist this evening with a rear light.
    It was flashing slowly with 2 bulbs alternating when he was stopped at the lights.
    It went to full light mode when he decided he couldn't wait for the light to turn green and proceeded to cycle through a red light!
    It was bright but not blinding.

Battery usage (or perhaps reading) seems to be very inconsistent. I've used it for a few days' commuting, get a 44% warning before a journey and then it cuts out on the way home. Happened a few times now, and this morning the missus' stopped after about 20mins despite reporting 58% battery before leaving the house.

buffalo wrote: »
    Battery usage (or perhaps reading) seems to be very inconsistent. I've used it for a few days' commuting, get a 44% warning before a journey and then it cuts out on the way home. Happened a few times now, and this morning the missus' stopped after about 20mins despite reporting 58% battery before leaving the house.

mine reported 100% on Friday last, despite being on its 5th day of 1 1/2 hours use per day! judging by how long it took to charge, I don't believe that it was an accurate reading :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭xDerp

Has the trial ended yet? Mine is still showing up as a "city trial" app. I thought it was going to be done in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

xDerp wrote: »
    Has the trial ended yet? Mine is still showing up as a "city trial" app. I thought it was going to be done in December.

The app will always say trial as there are two separate apps. The trail one and the standard one. The difference between the two is that with the trial a 3rd party (dcc) are getting access to the location tracking. Due to this the trail version allows you to set privacy zones so say around your workplace or home. The standard version does not do this. There is no other difference between the two.

I gave up on the app about a month ago as it no longer connects to the light so I've not been overly useful to them in their data collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

So, does the light now operate like a normal Icon and pair with regular app or is it always tied to that trial-app?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Has anyone heard if they'll send around a firmware update to remove the need to pair with a phone after charging now that the trial is over?

Heard back from see sense :

Unfortunately, this is a hardware feature of the light. However, we did get a lot of requests to change this and have implemented a feature into our new ACE light that will allow settings to be saved even after charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

anyone noticed that their trial light is much duller?

I charged it up last night, revved it up to 100% on the app, yet its significantly duller than it has been. Just looks like a light with low battery now.

anyone noticed that their trial light is much duller?

I charged it up last night, revved it up to 100% on the app, yet its significantly duller than it has been. Just looks like a light with low battery now.

Mine had that issue Tuesday - at 20% intensity despite being connected via app and showing 100%. Had to turn it off and on again a few times to make it correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I didn't get the trial ones, but I bought the Icon+ set in October.
    I have just received 3rd replacement of the rear one(water inside), and 2nd front one (also water).
    Not too happy with 165e lights tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

buffalo wrote: »
    Mine had that issue Tuesday - at 20% intensity despite being connected via app and showing 100%. Had to turn it off and on again a few times to make it correct.

tried that, still dull as dishwater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

tried that, still dull as dishwater

Mine has just gone like that now, really dull and will no longer connect to the app. I thnk it may have to do with leaving it plugged into the USB for too long (I forgot about it), it's the only thing I have done differently.

So disappointing, was beginning to like it. Over-engineered, tries to be clever when all I need it a regularly functioning bike light.

Edit: Got it working again. Reinstalled the app on phone and kept shaking the light when it was searching for it.

Advertisement