Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a cabin cruiser Lough Erne

• 27-08-2017 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

A friend and I are considering buying a cruiser between us as a weekend escape.

We have a good bit of experience between us around lough erne, his folks took him there with boat every summer growing up and we've hired cruisers quite a lot in the early 2000's but haven't down so since. I just remember it as a very relaxing holiday which is well needed now we're proper grown ups with stressful jobs:-).

Thinking of a 7+ berth as he has wife and 3 kids.....my family would probablue use it too ( if I'm nice to them).

Has anyone any info on what the lough is like these days? Any changes we'd need to considereal since we last were there?

Any info is apprecoated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

368100 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

A friend and I are considering buying a cruiser between us as a weekend escape.

We have a good bit of experience between us around lough erne, his folks took him there with boat every summer growing up and we've hired cruisers quite a lot in the early 2000's but haven't down so since. I just remember it as a very relaxing holiday which is well needed now we're proper grown ups with stressful jobs:-).

Thinking of a 7+ berth as he has wife and 3 kids.....my family would probablue use it too ( if I'm nice to them).

Has anyone any info on what the lough is like these days? Any changes we'd need to considereal since we last were there?

Any info is apprecoated!

Check out the Waterways Ireland website.
    What info are ye looking for. Lough Erne YC may have some boats for sale and when I was up there last Manor House marine had some fine cruisers.

You could also try Carrickcraft or Emerald Star, in the off season they do sell off some of their stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Donal55 wrote: »
    Check out the Waterways Ireland website.
    What info are ye looking for. Lough Erne YC may have some boats for sale and when I was up there last Manor House marine had some fine cruisers.

You could also try Carrickcraft or Emerald Star, in the off season they do sell off some of their stock.

Thanks will check it out. Sort of info I'm looking for is local knowledge like I saw disputes over the water levels in October to relieve flooding but led to cruisers running aground....is that still happening? Things like that.

I've alsonly heard after we used to rent that a lot of hire companies went out of business due to cost of insurance....would that have applied to hire insurance or did private insurance get pushed to silly money too?

Thinking of mooring at belturbet too if anyone has any additional info....has the boating scene changed much in last 15-20 years?

Well insurance as a whole is crazy all over so I can only assume it is increased. As for the cruise companies they're still there. Aghinver, Carrick Craft, Manor marine etc.

I think the ESB control the lock at Portora and the levels. Check with them for info, bearing in mind it will only be one side of the argument.

Well insurance as a whole is crazy all over so I can only assume it is increased. As for the cruise companies they're still there. Aghinver, Carrick Craft, Manor marine etc.

I think the ESB control the lock at Portora and the levels. Check with them for info, bearing in mind it will only be one side of the argument.

Thanks a mil....very helpful

@donal....you don't happen to know a cruiser company south of enniskillen? Not far past the killyshevlin on way to upper lough as I remember.....boats were grey and blue when we hired. Is is still there and would you know the name?

• Advertisement

@donal....you don't happen to know a cruiser company south of enniskillen? Not far past the killyshevlin on way to upper lough as I remember.....boats were grey and blue when we hired. Is is still there and would you know the name?

Its Carrickcraft at Bellanalck. They've a good website.

Its Carrickcraft at Bellanalck. They've a good website.

Bellanaleck sounds right thanks but it wasn't Carrick craft....I think it had erne in the name....id heard the went out of business so carrickcraft must have bought them...or the marina.

Bellanaleck sounds right thanks but it wasn't Carrick craft....I think it had erne in the name....id heard the went out of business so carrickcraft must have bought them...or the marina.

There is another marina further south at Carysbridge, they also have a website.

There is another marina further south at Carysbridge, they also have a website.

Off i go ro research...thanks again for the help

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Drop into Quivvy marina in Belturbet. http://quivvymarina.com/. David is a very nice guy and has some cruisers for sale.
    IWAI Lough Erne also have a FB page that would be a great place to pick up local knowledge.
    https://www.facebook.com/ErneIWAI/

• Advertisement
Advertisement