Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGCE help

• 27-08-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could help me out with an issue I'm having. I was training to be a teacher in England and deferred my position on the course til next year. As I can complete the PGCE next year I was wondering about getting it recognised in Ireland by Teaching Council. I heard that the Council accept PGCE (60 credits) and NQT year. Is this true? I know that the PME here is 120 credits so that's why I'm wondering. As well do TCI look at your undergraduate degree when deciding registration? I don't think I would have enough credits to satisfy registration. Could I make this up in any way? TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I completed a secondary PGCE in England so I can't comment on the Irish shortfall but after the PGCE I did a Master of Education and the TC are *still* saying it does not equate to the PME. This is not the case for anyone who trained pre 2014 in England. In other words, it's not just Irish you need to consider.

The bursary for secondary depending on subject is nearly £30k tax free, I do not think there is any bursary for primary so you have no huge financial incentive to go to England.

I trained down south as it was a really good university but then moved up north in my NQT as cost of living is so much cheaper. I would not live anywhere in the south east, it is so expensive and outside of London you get nothing extra. There are some really good unis in the north like Durham, York, Lancaster, etc. See if they offer the primary PGCE.

I can't comment too much on primary teaching but secondary in England is incredibly tough (half of the people I trained with in 2016 have now left the profession, most were late 20s and they weren't just out of their undergrads) and the system is obsessed with targets but maybe primary is different?

I couldn't afford to do the PME here and was offered £25k to go to England but if your heart is set on teaching in Ireland then I would stay here. The NQT year over there is also more observations and targets and depending on the school can be much tougher than the PGCE. In my last school, they failed the NQT as progress was too slow in his classes and he can now never teach again in a state school.

Advertisement