Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGCE 2017/18

Options
  • 27-08-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could help me out with an issue I'm having. I was training to be a teacher in England and deferred my position on the course til next year. As I can complete the PGCE next year I was wondering about getting it recognised in Ireland by Teaching Council. I heard that the Council accept PGCE (60 credits) and NQT year. Is this true? I know that the PME here is 120 credits so that's why I'm wondering. As well do TCI look at your undergraduate degree when deciding registration? I don't think I would have enough credits to satisfy registration. Could I make this up in any way? TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could help me out with an issue I'm having. I was training to be a teacher in England and deferred my position on the course til next year. As I can complete the PGCE next year I was wondering about getting it recognised in Ireland by Teaching Council. I heard that the Council accept PGCE (60 credits) and NQT year. Is this true? I know that the PME here is 120 credits so that's why I'm wondering. As well do TCI look at your undergraduate degree when deciding registration? I don't think I would have enough credits to satisfy registration. Could I make this up in any way? TIA.

I don't know the answer maybe state if you're intending on doing primary or secondary?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

It's secondary teaching in languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hi Shop Assistant, I am Irish and training in the UK this year for a PGCE in Modern Foreign Languages. I rang the TC and they explained I can apply for registration as long as I have my dip with QTS and I have also completed and passed an NQT induction year of teaching MFL in a UK school, for which I would receive a cert from the NCTL (basically the TC equivalent).

Unfortunately, there isn't a masters equivalent to the PME. The highest you can do is a PGDE (which is what I am doing) which gives you masters credits to do a research thesis and get an M.A.. Again, when I phoned the Teaching council, they were careful to not give me any guarantees. But they did say they would need to assess the teaching qualification. I would say it would probably mean taking shortfall modules once here in Ireland if they found the PGCE did not have the academic components of similar Irish courses. Teaching over there is quite practical and most contact time is in the school. I'll be only 12 weeks in uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

Hi. Thanks so much for your response. I was doing the PGDE too so I think I might as well do that instead of the PGCE as it is only two assignments more for me.

Advertisement