Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repossession of family home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I can see where someone who is in arrears is coming from. I imagine they would love to be able to move into a decent social house and no longer have to deal with the stress and pain associated with dealing with a bank when in arrears.

But this is Ireland. So if they leave without fighting, they could literally be homeless. There is no social housing for them to move into and it will be hard to find a rental property.

Repossessions should be a lot quicker in this state. But the state needs to provide vast amounts of housing/at least allow its development, so when someone has their house repossessed, that they aren't homeless.

The mortgage market works so well in Denmark, as repossessions are quite easy to do as you can easily move into social housing if your house is repossessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

His difficulties stem from a €315,000 loan he obtained from KBC in 2005. He had purchased two properties in Kildare, and planned to turn one of them into the family's "dream home" and sell the Shankill house.

I don't mean to be harsh but, live within your means.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only governmental measure I agree with is the mortgage caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Do you not remember 2005? Sure if you didn't own 2 properties in Ireland, one abroad and have mortgage approval for one more then you were a pauper.

If he inherited another house could that be taken too if the original didn't clear the debt?

Just an idle thought that popped into my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

SteM wrote: »
    Do you not remember 2005? Sure if you didn't own 2 properties in Ireland, one abroad and have mortgage approval for one more then you were a pauper.

thats just not true. most people did not engage in property speculation. The warning signs were there for years.
    I have no problem with someone speculating, as long as they dont expect the taxpayer to pick up the losses tab.

Its sad when a family lose their home, and currentyl dangerous too with the housing market as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I can see where someone who is in arrears is coming from. I imagine they would love to be able to move into a decent social house and no longer have to deal with the stress and pain associated with dealing with a bank when in arrears.

But this is Ireland. So if they leave without fighting, they could literally be homeless. There is no social housing for them to move into and it will be hard to find a rental property.

Repossessions should be a lot quicker in this state. But the state needs to provide vast amounts of housing/at least allow its development, so when someone has their house repossessed, that they aren't homeless.

The mortgage market works so well in Denmark, as repossessions are quite easy to do as you can easily move into social housing if your house is repossessed.
    Wouldn't that just encourage more people not to bother paying their mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Going to be a lot more of these stories in the next few months. Banks have sat back and been loathe to get in and actually repossess properties but with the rising value of the houses and the fact that there are cases like this dragging on for close to a decade, they're going to start believing that the money they're losing will out-weight the bad press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wouldn't that just encourage more people not to bother paying their mortgage?

Maybe it. But it would reduce people dragging onto their houses in arrears for years, as they know there is no alternative accommodation available to them.

What rational person who is falling behind on their mortgage is not going to try drag it on as long as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Tow

His difficulties stem from a €315,000 loan he obtained from KBC in 2005. He had purchased two properties in Kildare, and planned to turn one of them into the family's "dream home" and sell the Shankill house. "But the crash happened and destroyed everybody," he said.

So he had 3 houses, in the scheme of things did not have a huge mortgage. But would have had a short term due to his age, so a high monthly repayment. He could have sold the Shankill house in 05, 06, some of 07 and it would have paid off the loan with enough extra to do up one of the other dream homes. What was the son doing to help, he must be in his 20~30s?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Articles like this really annoy me. The guy is a journalist. I don't fault him too much for borrowing the money but when he said he never expected for the sheriff to arrive he comes across as a right thick.
    When you get judgements against you and then you get demands from the sheriff or registered letters from the sheriff stating that you have to be out of the house by a certain date or he will forcibly take the house, what do you think is going to happen?
    I expect a journalist to have more cop on than this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

had been meeting part of the €5,000 monthly repayments

It absolutly amazes me how 1) Any person of average intellligence would think thats sustainable and 2) How any bank ever agreed to this sort of monthly repayment..

Everyone is equally idiotic in these situations and everybody deserves what they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

It absolutly amazes me how 1) Any person of average intellligence would think thats sustainable and 2) How any bank ever agreed to this sort of monthly repayment..

Everyone is equally idiotic in these situations and everybody deserves what they get.

While I completely agree with you, apparently it's not right to think like that nowadays.

The correct response is to criticise the banks and the government for their heartlessness and incompetence and to regard the mature adult involved as an innocent victim of circumstances. Somewhat ironically, in this case he's a former RTE current affairs researcher, so why on earth didn't he talk to George Lee before taking out that loan??

It's a farce. He would have been in his mid-fifties and a freelance journalist - a job not known for it's stability - when the bank lent him the money. The whole lending industry was nuts at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Articles like this really annoy me. The guy is a journalist. I don't fault him too much for borrowing the money but when he said he never expected for the sheriff to arrive he comes across as a right thick.
    When you get judgements against you and then you get demands from the sheriff or registered letters from the sheriff stating that you have to be out of the house by a certain date or he will forcibly take the house, what do you think is going to happen?

Yeah, it's a pretty pathetic piece of writing:
    "Nothing prepared him for the shock of being woken at 6am last Thursday morning"
    Next paragraph:
    "He had been forewarned that they were coming - three notices from the Dublin County Sheriff's Office that a court order for possession was about to be enforced had come through his door in the last five weeks. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has he still got the two houses in Kildare?

This post has been deleted.

Where did I say otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Agreed, it drives me crazy. "I got a terrible shock when they arrived on my doorstep".

A terrible shock despite hundreds of pieces of correspondence about the issue landing on his mat over the last decade.

A sheriff arriving to take possession is probably about the least shocking thing that's happened to this guy in recent times, he was well informed that it was happening, he just chose to ignore it.

I've a former neighbour in a similar situation. The bank have already taken a house from them, but are chasing for arrears on their family home. They should be declaring bankruptcy, but they're basically ignoring it and hoping some magical solution will appear from the ether.

I can see how people end up in these situations, but it's always because they allow it to happen through inaction. I don't understand why they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Turnipman wrote:
    The correct response is to criticise the banks and the government for their heartlessness and incompetence and to regard the mature adult involved - ironically, in this case he's a former RTE current affairs researcher, so why didn't he talk to George Lee before taking out that loan?? - as an innocent victim of circumstances.

I'm usually one of the first people to criticize the banks but it's very clear this man brought it all on himself.

"I am not for a moment saying that banks should not be repaid their debts. But breaking someone's door at 6am is not the way to go about it. Another way should be found to allow people to stay in their homes"

What did he expect to happen after all of his warnings? Idiot, through and through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Another way should be found to allow people to stay in their homes"

Don't want to sound heartless but why would anyone pay their mortgage if that's the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Now he says he will set up a 'movement' .. he wants to be michael davitt !! Don't we have enough of these groups formed by people who won't accept their greed caused their demise and will offer advise to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

5k a month... so he would need to clear about 10-11k a month after taxes to service that (based on the new guidelines etc..) which is 250k/year.

I would assume that in reality he did have the capacity to pay the mortgage to begin and was using it as some type of bridging loan for the house in Kildare.

Wreck less borrowing.. and lending all round. The house sale in Shankill will surely clear the outstanding debt tho... leaving him with two houses in Kildare still?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stheno wrote: »

Not clear from the article, whether or not he does- however, one could infer from the detail of how he is staying with relatives- that they aren't his any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Sarn

Not clear from the article, whether or not he does- however, one could infer from the detail of how he is staying with relatives- that they aren't his any longer.

Or they are being rented out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stheno wrote: »
    Probably. Although can the bank gain possession of them as they are assets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

the_syco wrote:
    Probably. Although can the bank gain possession of them as they are assets?

Probably mortgages on them ? That would mean they're not assets then ? How does that work if your 2 other properties are performing but you still have a mortgage but with different banks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

How much arrears had built up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

But are you willing to pay more taxes for this service. In Denmark, you pay on average around 10000€ per year more taxes than in Ireland. I doubt many people would vote for a party taht would propose this.

You have basically 3 ways to deal with this, as people have to live somewhere after they being evicted.
    1) let society pay for it, like Denmark does. So you have substabtially higher taxes to pay, but you know people can be evicted from the house you are letting out swiftly and they can move into social housing without much problems.
    2) You let the people pay for it, that have the longterm benefit of the house. After all, they used it to generate income before (rent, mortage interest), they will do so in the future and they own an asset they can sell if they need to. This may lead to short term (relatively) cash flow problems for people, but everyone pays lower taxes nd you can"t be evicted swiftly. That's the solution Ireland goes for.
    3) Of course you could also say **** the people who can't afford rent or mortage payments, and let them live on the street. But I think most people would be quick to complaint when the first tents are erreted in the middle of O'Connell street.

Advertisement