Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Gender Neutral" VMA's backfire

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bambi wrote: »
    How the f**k do they tell the men from the women in pop nowadays anyway? They all look like aliens from the planet botox

Sure you're about 25 years late there Bambi, people were saying the same nonsense about Marilyn Manson and many others yonks ago.

Hell, Boy George in the 80's.

I think you're just getting old like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

No, but they a nouns. Profession has nothing to do with it.

The poster you quoted was clearly talking about the names of professions. Your post was to do with personal pronouns. Two different things. In very few are there different words for men and women doing the same job. And there are less and less as time goes on ie. headteacher or principal instead of headmaster/mistress, flight attendant instead of air hostess/stewardess. It's how it should be. I'm still weirded out by my mother calling female doctors 'lady doctors'. Why the need for the 'lady' bit?

And, as said, I'm in my 30s and have always considered 'actor' to be a unisex word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sure you're about 25 years late there Bambi, people were saying the same nonsense about Marilyn Manson and many others yonks ago.

Hell, Boy George in the 80's.

I think you're just getting old like the rest of us.

I'm old enough to remember bowie and boy george, different thing entirely

Miley Cyrus and that ****wit whose name eludes me look like the same airbrushed humaniod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Miley Cyrus and that ****wit whose name eludes me look like the same airbrushed humaniod

Kanye West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kanye West?

0dd354e0ef3c8c2c98adc246e3e661f8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

She changed her look a few years back and ended up resembling a prepubescent boy.

Deeply disturbing.

You know what? We should remove gender nouns from other languages. How dare you assume that chair is female. Or that clock is male.

Hohum.

These women need to look after themselves.

There are loads of very wealthy women in Hollywood so if they feel like women are not being given an equal chance then maybe they should consider setting up a production company that would give more female actors and directors a chance.

It's like all the whining Will Smith did a couple of years ago about black actors not being recognized by the Oscars or getting the same chance in films and all I could think was will you're worth $250 million why not use that money to make a difference instead of expecting someone else to do it for you.

I think reese witherspoon already has done so and fair play to her. They are trying to move in that direction for sure.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/reese-witherspoon-her-production-company-833137

And alicia vikander and others, which I didn't know:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/06/alicia-vikander-production-company-vikarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

jimgoose wrote: »
    426399.jpg

You address me by my preferred pronoun, you little bollocks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think reese witherspoon already has done so and fair play to her. They are trying to move in that direction for sure.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/reese-witherspoon-her-production-company-833137

And alicia vikander and others, which I didn't know:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/06/alicia-vikander-production-company-vikarious

That's a much better thing to be doing than complaining about things and if every subsection of society that feels aggrieved had a more positive attitude and helped themselves then maybe things would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

I'm so sick of all this gender bullsh1t.

When did being offended become such a bad thing anyway?

Advertisement