Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compact Gaming PC

Options
  • 28-08-2017 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€500] although if the difference of 200 extra means a far better machine thats nicer aesthetically it would be good too.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Basically IL2, Age of Empires including the new ones, COH, programming and my missus will be doing some image processing for her PhD.
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? I have this AOC Pro-line I2790VQ 1080p @ 60ghz

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? A joystick maybe for any combat flight sims

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Depends on opinions but sure

8. How can you pay? Card, transfer, paypal

9. When are you purchasing? Between now and Christmas

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?Basel, Switzerland :pac:

We both have 2015 Macbook Pros which run AOE etc but get quite hot and I would prefer not to use it for any gaming. I am sure the general consensus would be just get a decent laptop with any sort of dedicated GPU and that will do.
    I would like to see what is possible for under 500 though, the biggest deal for us is that it has to be small and compact and looks pretty as the spare room in our apartment is the "nice" room :o.
    I was looking at something like this http://www.computershopper.com/feature/build-it-a-500-mini-itx-gaming-pc/(page)/3#review-section

Thank you to all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Found this thread for shopping recommendations (if you want to buy in Switzerland): https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/270843-buying-pc-components.html

TopPreise.ch / Alternate.ch / Brack.ch

Using Alternate.ch I configured this small system for 602.30 CHF (€529)
    • MSI B350M MORTAR, Mainboard 91.90 CHF
    • AMD Ryzen 3 1200 WRAITH, Prozessor 112.90 CHF
    • G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR4-2800, Arbeitsspeicher 71.90 CHF
    • Palit GeForce GTX 1050 StormX, Grafikkarte 129.90 CHF
    • Cooltek C3, HTPC-Gehäuse 56.90 CHF
    • Corsair CX450M, PC-Netzteil 51.90 CHF
    • Mushkin TRIACTOR 240 GB, Solid State Drive 86.90 CHF
    • Ohne Betriebssystem
    =====
    Slightly larger (m-ATX) but much easier to build & upgrade.
    If you're willing to put more in, a GTX 1050 Ti / GTX 1060 3Gb is a good upgrade.
    Larger SSD is another good idea for more budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thanks a lot. englishforums, alternate and toppreise i know and use, I dont care where the parts come from wherever is cheapest :)

Out of interest, do you think those prices are good or bad? Yes it is very expensive here but electronic prices can be cheaper often.

I will look into the build much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Price seems about right to me, some of the components are cheaper than I found on http://LogicalIncrements.com (using the Switzerland dropdown)

If you need more storage, add a regular HDD.

For a quieter PSU, be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM 400W or Corsair CS550M 550W @ 69.90 CHF are decent value.

Advertisement