Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mash Direct - Turnip

Options
  • 28-08-2017 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

There are no words for how delicious this is. If you are a fan of Turnip try it. Dunnes stock it in the fridge section and I think Super Valu also stock.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Are there lots of additives in it? I'm always horrified at the list of ingredients in 'fresh' mashed potatoes, buttered cabbage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There is 25g of sugar which I doubt you would do at home. It's the cost of these yokes that would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RasTa wrote: »
    There is 25g of sugar which I doubt you would do at home. It's the cost of these yokes that would put me off.
    You have to be careful to differentiate between ingredients and nutritional info on food labels.

Turnips, or swede/rutabaga as they're also known, already contain a lot of natural sugars, approx. 4.5g per 100g according to Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Pretty sure the ingredients are: Turnip (98%), Butter (Milk), Salt, White Pepper

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-standard-mash-direct-mashed-turnip-400-grams-/p-1005879001

Lots of food have a lot of "natural" sugars, it doesn't meant the manufacturer has added sugar - if so, it would have to be included in the ingredients list.

Ah natural sugar, my favourite type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All sugar is "natural". Where do you think granulated sugar in the 1kg bags comes from ultimately?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Alun wrote: »
    All sugar is "natural". Where do you think granulated sugar in the 1kg bags comes from ultimately?

True that but turnips in nature dont come dusted in granulated sugar... is what i think is meant.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pretty sure the ingredients are: Turnip (98%), Butter (Milk), Salt, White Pepper

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-standard-mash-direct-mashed-turnip-400-grams-/p-1005879001

Lots of food have a lot of "natural" sugars, it doesn't meant the manufacturer has added sugar - if so, it would have to be included in the ingredients list.

Sounds like they're just like you'd make them yourself so. I'd never have worried until I bought buttered cabbage a couple of years ago and the list of ingredients was astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

See I'd be too mean to buy that, boil up a couple of turnips preferably in bacon water, mash them with knob of butter/salt/pepper etc and freeze in portion sizes that you want. Really handy to have in freezer as you couldn't be cooking small amounts every time you want some. Same applies to cabbage, easier to blanch a big head of it and freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The time/effort to cost ratio on the mash direct stuff is a winner for me.

It means coming home in the evening and only having to worry about the spuds and fish or meat.

No peeling, boiling, cleanup etc ... there a big winner for me, and its not laziness, its just the time saving involved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I love this stuff. I stock up when it's on offer and freeze it. I'm the only one in our house who eats turnip so can't be bothered dealing with cutting up a turnip for myself. They're one of the most cumbersome veggies to prepare. And hit and miss at times with flavour so for me, the mash direct turnip is a winner.

On offer in tesco at the moment. 2 for €3 I think

mitresize5 wrote: »
    The time/effort to cost ratio on the mash direct stuff is a winner for me.

It means coming home in the evening and only having to worry about the spuds and fish or meat.

No peeling, boiling, cleanup etc ... there a big winner for me, and its not laziness, its just the time saving involved

How are you cooking the spuds?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Alun wrote: »

The term 'natural sugar' refers to sugar which is already in the food before any processing takes place i.e. it's naturally occurring. The stuff they add in the factory is called 'added sugar'.

A thread on prepacked mashed turnip reminds me that a wag in the US invented a topical slogan for a t-shirt, it read....

'Ban the sale of pre-shredded cheese. Make America grate again'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I always add some pepper it seems to make it taste even better (if that is possible.... ha ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ash23 wrote: »
    I love this stuff. I stock up when it's on offer and freeze it. I'm the only one in our house who eats turnip so can't be bothered dealing with cutting up a turnip for myself. They're one of the most cumbersome veggies to prepare. And hit and miss at times with flavour so for me, the mash direct turnip is a winner.

On offer in tesco at the moment. 2 for €3 I think

SuperValu as well, same deal at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

How are you cooking the spuds?

in their skins in the steamer. Throw them in and come back in a half hour

Advertisement