Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

samsung 50" smart TV

Options
  • 28-08-2017 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭

folks - Its time to upgrade my TV so looking for the best place to buy.

My preference is Samsung and I've bought from Pixmania previously but they dont appear to do as much these days.

Looking for a 50" so suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DH3HDS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
    Thinking of this myself. It's a 49" though. Seems very good value on amazon.co.uk. HDR ready and 4K uhd ready. Has decent 4K up scaling according to reviews. Harvey Norman have the curved version at the spec below this for approx €830.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

tom1ie wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DH3HDS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
    Thinking of this myself. It's a 49" though. Seems very good value on amazon.co.uk. HDR ready and 4K uhd ready. Has decent 4K up scaling according to reviews. Harvey Norman have the curved version at the spec below this for approx €830.

appreciate the suggestion. The refresh rate is only 50Hz so would incur motion blur on sports

• Registered Users Posts: 51,253 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

s8n wrote: »
    appreciate the suggestion. The refresh rate is only 50Hz so would incur motion blur on sports

Interesting. So would you be looking to get a 60hz tv or would you reckon a100hz tv is needed to get rid of motion blur? Didn't think of that.

Interesting. So would you be looking to get a 60hz tv or would you reckon a100hz tv is needed to get rid of motion blur? Didn't think of that.

From experience, needs to be minimum 100mhz for sport

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

Its curved, looking for flat panel

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

s8n wrote: »
    From experience, needs to be minimum 100mhz for sport

100MHz? :eek:

So in the last few days I have done a **** load of research and have come up with the following:
    1 You don't need a 4K uhd tv. There is very limited content available in 4K and the upscaling is only good on the high end oled and qled models. Both very expensive.
    2 hdr (high dynamic range) is arguably a better improvement to TVs than 4K. It gives better picture colour and sharpness etc.
    3 the only manufacturer to include HDR in a full HD 1080p tv is Sony. Hence I'm gonna buy this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL49WE753-49-Inch-X-Reality-Triluminos/dp/B06XMQGH3H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504094508&sr=8-2&keywords=Sony+1080p+tv
    Doesn't have edge lit led technology, it has local led lit technology. Gives better blacks aka much better contrast. Has HDR. Not uhd but I don't watch uhd feeds.
    Most importantly in all the reviews I've read their is no juddering of the picture whilst watching live sports e.g. Football. Seems like a decent price. I don't think I'd find anything better for that price bracket anyway. Let me know how ya get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pedanticness

So in the last few days I have done a **** load of research and have come up with the following:
    1 You don't need a 4K uhd tv. There is very limited content available in 4K and the upscaling is only good on the high end oled and qled models. Both very expensive.
    2 hdr (high dynamic range) is arguably a better improvement to TVs than 4K. It gives better picture colour and sharpness etc.
    3 the only manufacturer to include HDR in a full HD 1080p tv is Sony. Hence I'm gonna buy this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL49WE753-49-Inch-X-Reality-Triluminos/dp/B06XMQGH3H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504094508&sr=8-2&keywords=Sony+1080p+tv
    Doesn't have edge lit led technology, it has local led lit technology. Gives better blacks aka much better contrast. Has HDR. Not uhd but I don't watch uhd feeds.
    Most importantly in all the reviews I've read their is no juddering of the picture whilst watching live sports e.g. Football. Seems like a decent price. I don't think I'd find anything better for that price bracket anyway. Let me know how ya get on.
    You've just saved me a **** load of research, in the market for a 49" and matching 43".

Also I found that this explains a lot. The TVs upscaling capabilities are very important if your gonna watch s.d on a full HD tv let alone a 4K tv. https://community.sony.ie/t5/other-tvs/sd-picture-quality/td-p/1890547

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for too though my husband insists we need a 4k tv.. We use ours for Netflix and streamed sports mainly. Would be interested to know how you get on. What do you do about delivery? Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

While a I won't disagree with the remainder of your post, I agree in so much that if you're going 4k don't go cheap but I do have to call you up on the bolded. The very fact that you have mentioned QLED in the same breath as OLED shows the Samsung's marketing department are earning their crust. QLED is just a stupidly expensive edge lit LED TV - if you can find a K series from last year you'd be better off (both financially and PQ wise) but they also have issues with the back falling off.

The availability of 4k content has grown substantially in the last year e.g. sky q, netflix, amazon video, xbox X released next month etc.

The upscaling on anything mid-rang and above will be fine/impressive. It's backlight and dimming where you will see the cost rising. Most average users won't even notice these things when they're being smacked in the face with an impressive 4k HDR picture.

That model you linked is actually a great shout, the closest to it you will get on a 4k front is the X9005 but there is a bit of a price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I'm in the market for a 50 inch TV too. But I'm clueless about what's is needed and what is not needed. Is that one from Amazon the one with test bang for buck?

I'm in the market for a 50 inch TV too. But I'm clueless about what's is needed and what is not needed. Is that one from Amazon the one with test bang for buck?

If you don't want to go 4k, yes I would say so. If you do want 4k, the answer becomes a lot more complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

would this be a good option? I'm between this and the Sony Bravia
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202502-49uj670v.aspx
    theteal wrote: »
    If you don't want to go 4k, yes I would say so. If you do want 4k, the answer becomes a lot more complicated

The Wife wrote: »
    would this be a good option? I'm between this and the Sony Bravia
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202502-49uj670v.aspx

I have to say, I'd go with the Sony. If you go cheap with 4k, you're going to be disappointed. Also, at that level, LG do RGBW displays which are a kind of cheat to reach the 4k spec - I assume the same applies to that model. Also, I just don't like/trust LG products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Don't think you can trust any of them tbh

My last tv purchase was a Sony but i believe they don't make all their own panels now

Advertisement