Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" Season 8 - Speculation Thread - Spoilers on thread from 15th Apr

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Both are good looking but only average at best actors. After the show dies down I don't see them being big Hollywood contenders.

Agreed .
    Harrington is the better actor of the two.

Success in Hollywood isnt based on acting ability alone though,most of the people who make it are very average actors ,some terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Emilia Clarke's acting is actually much stronger this season in particular, though it's sort of lost in all the negativity which is a shame. Always thought Kit Harrington had a charm to him, not that he's necessarily a good actor but he works very well as Jon Snow, but couldn't see him in heavy-hitting roles. A bit like something like Casper Van Dien in Starship Troopers really.

Equally I think they'll both do fine and trade well enough on their fame. Success is really luck of the draw in Hollywood, no end of medicore actors raking in cash while excellent actors make do with bit parts, not to mention those who never make it at all.
    GRRM not delighted with the season. Says give more seasons would be required to stay faithful to the book. He was also annoyed by unimportant characters being given lots to do because they're popular.

Wouldn't care so much about his opinion in general - if he'd wanted the show to mirror his vision a little closer, he would've written he bloody things rather than meandering around the place, and devoting years to writing lore books, side adventure novels, etc. The first season was airing when the last book was released! Even if S7 and S8 were rushed, the general narrative and scripting would've been far better with his material to actually work from (not that that fully excuses D&D's horrible writing in S8 either)

However, I would understand his disappointment at how poor S7 and S8 are relative to what came before. He may not have liked what they did with S5 and S6 after diverging from his material, and how it differed from his creative vision, but fundementally it was still pretty good and well received Game of Thrones.

The rushed, sloppy, lazy nature of S8 in particular goes way, way beyond a mere difference in vision though. This rushed, hacked ending that really just appears to be taking a hot dump over the whole built up saga will forever be associated with the legacy of Game of Thrones and I'd say that hurts GRRM immensely.

Can't really blame him. It's one thing to take a franchise a place that diverages from the authors with due care.... it's quite another to do it in a blatant "We just don't give a crap anymore and want this over with" fashion.

Would it not be easier and more practical to just have Arya kill Cersei using her Faceless person skills instead of Daenarys waging a moronic all out war on Cerseis forces ?

I guess these aren't exactly fully allied characters, while they want to kill Cercsi there doesn't seem to be any idea what they want to do after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I love how the new trailer for finale shows huge numbers of Unsullied and Dothraki. WTF!?

I predict a sh!t show of an episode following this penultimate one. I want the Night King to magically appear and kill everyone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I'm just disappointed that Arya, Beric and Clegane will never get to lead a band of merry misfits on wacky adventures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I love how the new trailer for finale shows huge numbers of Unsullied and Dothraki. WTF!?

I predict a sh!t show of an episode following this penultimate one. I want the Night King to magically appear and kill everyone now.
    D&D kinda forget that the Long Night was meant to be the end of the Dothraki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    D&D kinda forget that the Long Night was meant to be the end of the Dothraki.
    Nah, Dany resurrected them all as her own dead army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote: »
    Armoured Dragon! Calling it now! :)

eh... nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Slydice wrote: »
    eh... nevermind
    You weren't entirely wrong......he had lots of plot armour :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Dany to attack winterfell but Bran uses his powers to controller the dragon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nah, Dany resurrected them all as her own dead army.

Yeah Qyburn discovered how to do and it now the secret's out. Like making scorpions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What odds that no bodies are found for Cersei & Jamie since they're buried at the bottom of a pile of rubble.

As a result of that after Dany figures out that Tyrion let Jamie go, suspects that they may have survived & escaped off together, so she kills Tyrion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Jon see's Arya emerge from the pile of rubble that was Kings Landing, loses the plot cos she was almost killed by Dany, confronts Dany who then tries to kill him, is killed by Arya for trying to kill Jon, Drogon kills Arya.
    Or something like that, maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Jon kills Dany.

Drogon kills Jon.

Drogon becomes king.

Queue theme music

h015DF612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Jon kills Dany.

Drogon kills Jon.

Drogon becomes king.

Queue theme music

h015DF612
    At this stage that's no dafter than what will probably happen.

Dany will try and set fire to Jon, find out he's immune to fire.

She'll behead him, throwback to Ned Stark.

Sansa poisons Dany, Arya potentially stabbing her as well.

Sansa on the throne.

Jon won't live til the end of the episode anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jon won't live til the end of the episode anyway

One can hope! The direction they have him going this season is annoying me more and more.

I'd love to see Arya get onto the throne. I can't understand why they only have six episodes for the final season. The whole narrative has been rushed and would have benefited more from developing the story better.

It's almost like they went "feck it, I'm sick of this lets get it over with quickly...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

gandalf wrote: »
    One can hope! The direction they have him going this season is annoying me more and more.

I'd love to see Arya get onto the throne. I can't understand why they only have six episodes for the final season. The whole narrative has been rushed and would have benefited more from developing the story better.

It's almost like they went "feck it, I'm sick of this lets get it over with quickly...".
    It was made that bit worse by the extended gap between the seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Right, I haven't a clue but shur it's the last episode so let's give it a guess....

Jon + Dany
    versus
    Sansa + Arya

Somehow I guess Arya is last one standing.

Either she Marries or is Killed by Gendry

So then .. either Gendry or Gendry + Arya on the throne.

Probably still in Kings Landing.

The more things change ... the more the stay the same.

The last GOT fan to leave the thread, please turn out the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

Jon kills Dany and then Drogon eats him.

King's Landing is razed and abandoned.

No more united Seven Kingdoms.

Flash forward a couple of decades and the Seven Kingdoms are still fighting with each other, the wheel never breaks.

What odds that no bodies are found for Cersei & Jamie since they're buried at the bottom of a pile of rubble.

As a result of that after Dany figures out that Tyrion let Jamie go, suspects that they may have survived & escaped off together, so she kills Tyrion
    A spaceship was passing overhead and transported them to experiment on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Some head-melting time-travel paradox relating to Bran\Night King and the children & Dany gets taken out by a conspiracy involving Davos Seaworth, Tyrion and a few others. Her genocidal rampage will have wiped out any reservations that Jon had about taking power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

It's nailed on that Jon kills Dany anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ASOT wrote: »
    Previous to the last few seasons I would have said that's too obvious to be done for this show.

Now, it's probably what'll happen.

ASOT wrote: »

Other way around....

• Advertisement

Other way around....
    Or not at all and we do get the Disney ending.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

At this stage the only thing that would redeem it for me is if Dany kicks ass further in the finale and ends up on the iron throne, ruling over the ashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Jon kills Dany.

Drogon kills Jon.

Drogon becomes king.

Queue theme music

h015DF612

Hotpie kills Drogon.

Hotpie becomes king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Just seen the episode 6 teaser but can someone please explain where all these soldiers are appearing from?? the unsullied looks to be fully replenished, it actually bothers me that unsullied and dothraki who were slaughtered by the army of the dead seem to be growing by the episode.

anyway as for the episode, its too obvious that Ayra will kill danny and considering the writing has been poor I am gonna say it will end with Sean Bean waking up on his couch in Yorkshire and the whole thing was a dream!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

major bill wrote: »
    Just seen the episode 6 teaser but can someone please explain where all these soldiers are appearing from?? the unsullied looks to be fully replenished, it actually bothers me that unsullied and dothraki who were slaughtered by the army of the dead seem to be growing by the episode.

anyway as for the episode, its too obvious that Ayra will kill danny and considering the writing has been poor I am gonna say it will end with Sean Bean waking up on his couch in Yorkshire and the whole thing was a dream!!!
    My turn my turn my turn..... ahem ...... one does not simply wake up in yorkshire.

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    Just seen the episode 6 teaser but can someone please explain where all these soldiers are appearing from??

Being perfectly honest they're just there because the writers need them to be there. They outright stopped caring about attention to detail and consistency somewhere back in S7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Other way around....

Yep. Jon confronts/ abandons Daenerys and she kills him/ has him killed.

Sansa to take the iron throne, with Arya ruling the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Arya kills Danny the vanishes.
    Drogon just flies off never to be seen again.
    John goes north to the Wildlings.
    Sansa rules the north as Queen/Warden with Tyrion as an advisor.
    There is no more iron throne. The 7 kingdoms each have their own ruler and all sit on a councel too keep the peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Since Gendry is a Baratheon he might rule Kings landing.
    No more 7 kingdoms.
    Sansa Rules the north.
    Jon goes back to the wall
    Dany dies.
    Arya goes back to Bravos or just wanders around popping back to Gendry for a jump once in a while.
    Or becomes his bodyguar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Being perfectly honest they're just there because the writers need them to be there. They outright stopped caring about attention to detail and consistency somewhere back in S7.

To be fair they had next to no opposition taking the city once the gate got blown.

That part is actually fine, it's more that in the Battle for Winterfell we saw a ton of Unsullied die and very few left alive to be seen anywhere at the end of the climatic battle. We also saw almost the entire Dothraki wiped out; again, very few returned from their initial headlong charge, almost none were seen for the rest of the episode, and then, on top of that Benioff himself said "What they're seeing is the end of the Dothraki, essentially".

Cue next episode and somehow she still has several thousand Unsullied remaining, as well as something like 40,000 Dothraki. Not only does that not remotely tally with what we saw, it doesn't tally with what Benioff himself says post-episode.

Then again this is the same guy who said the infamous "Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet" so maybe he's just prone to saying ridiculous things for the sake of it and we shouldn't take those seriously, but the episode really could have done a much, much better job of establishing that somehow there were upwards of 50,000 troops that survived Winterfell....wherever they were hiding.

Or maybe it was just lazy writing in E03. In E04 in the war-room, they literally say they have half of the Unsullied and half the Dothraki remaining. That would equate to something like 6,000 and 40,000 respectively which kind of beggars belief given what we were shown in S03. Varys even comments on how evenly matched they are with Cersei, who at that point, has the Iron Fleet, 20,000 Golden Company and probably around 20,000 Lannister soldiers.

If that had been credibly established or portrayed in E03/E04, E05 isn't a problem as realistically as you say they took minimal casulties for obvious reasons. My issue is with the preceeding episode (and the upcoming one obviously because she's got a massive army). It painted a picture that the vast majority of the forces committed at Winterfell, almost all in fact, fell in its defence. Benioff even said in the post-episode discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The ending I expect...

- Jon or Arya kills Dany.
    - Jon does not want to rule. Sansa gladly accepts.
    - Sansa has nothing but bad memories of King's Landing and it is a ruin so she rules from Winterfell.
    - Tyrion acts as her hand. (He should be executed as he was the hand of the Queen behind Westeros' largest massacre but they won't kill Tyrion).
    - Brienne leads her Queensguard.
    - Jon heads to Castle Black or beyond the wall to spend the rest of his days. Ideally, he is ghosted by Ghost.
    - Arya leaves to do assassin stuff.
    - Bran spends most of his time in the Godswood doing whatever he does.
    - Drogon just kinda flies around eating cows and sheep whenever he pleases.
    - Davos gets a post by the coast to be Master of ships.
    - Grey Worm is executed.

The bleak, miserable ending I actually want...

- Arya and Jon die at Dany's command. Kinda full circle with two Starks going to King's Landing to deal with a mad Targaryen but both are killed.
    - Dany gets what she always wanted, to be Queen. But as Jon said, she'll be ruling over a graveyard with no lover, no family, no friends and no possibility of a family line to continue her legacy.
    - With Drogon and the Unsullied behind Dany, Westeros is under the heel of a tyrant with no forces left capable of mounting a rebellion.
    - Dany orders Sansa to King's Landing to bend the knee or Winterfell will burn. Sansa is a smart girl, she does.
    - Tyrion kills himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Right, my speculation for the ending:

-Jon kills Greyworm
    -Arya kills Daenerys while wearing someone else's face
    -Tyrion to face some consequences for releasing Jamie, not sure what, but I can't imagine Daenerys will let him off the hook? I thought he might end up on the throne, but now I'm not so sure..
    -Jon urged to take the throne, but abdicates and goes north instead
    -Sansa to become Queen in the North with Brienne by her side
    -Gendry possibly to take the throne
    -Davos to be Hand of the King
    -Bran....absolutely no idea

Regardless of what anyone has thought of the final season, it's mental that it's all coming to an end now...it's the end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Bran to be King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

J. Marston wrote: »
    The ending I expect...

- Sansa has nothing but bad memories of King's Landing and it is a ruin so she rules from Winterfell.
    - Tyrion acts as her hand. (He should be executed as he was the hand of the Queen behind Westeros' largest massacre but they won't kill Tyrion).
    - Jon heads to Castle Black or beyond the wall to spend the rest of his days. Ideally, he is ghosted by Ghost.
    - Grey Worm is executed.

The bleak, miserable ending I actually want...

- Arya and Jon die at Dany's command. Kinda full circle with two Starks going to King's Landing to deal with a mad Targaryen but both are killed.
    - Dany gets what she always wanted, to be Queen. But as Jon said, she'll be ruling over a graveyard with no lover, no family, no friends and no possibility of a family line to continue her legacy.
    - With Drogon and the Unsullied behind Dany, Westeros is under the heel of a tyrant with no forces left capable of mounting a rebellion.
    - Dany orders Sansa to King's Landing to bend the knee or Winterfell will burn. Sansa is a smart girl, she does.
    - Tyrion kills himself.

With all the talk among the actors about how people won't like the ending, I think something along the lines of option 2 is not inconceivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

With all the talk among the actors about how people won't like the ending, I think something along the lines of option 2 is not inconceivable.

If only.... that would have been great

OP not far off with his first prediction in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

J. Marston wrote: »
    The ending I expect...

- Grey Worm is executed.

Apart from a few points here and there, thats pretty impressive!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Guys, if ye are going to read the spoilers please don't post them here pretending to be your theories to spoil it for everyone else.

Advertisement