Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time build.

Options
  • 28-08-2017 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Decided to go with a new build rather than second hand machine.

. What is your budget? [€7-800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming] (pubg, csgo Witcher 3 ultra 1080p, cemu emulator for BoTW )

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No] (intend to use trial copy/kinguin/one from laptop)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive from old laptop, for file storage] (I also have an 850evo 250gb in my laptop. I could use this in the build but want to keep my laptop snappy.)

5. Do you need a monitor? [No] have a 1080p monitor

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card/Bluetooth]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next month]

----

Current list I've put together from pc part picker. I know the power supply I have picked isn't great so I'd like an alternative suggestion.

I really like the aesthetic of fractal design cases. I'd like the Define Mini C, but the one in the build is a similar design and quite cheaper.

The below build is sitting right on my 800 euro budget, getting most of what I want from the build. R5 1600 and a 6gb 1060. I would be happy to see suggestions on components that will improve performance without going over 800. Or any refinements that could keep me around 700.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£187.14 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.48 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£75.80 @ Alza)
    Storage: Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£77.50 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card (£269.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£47.57 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £767.47
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-28 09:30 BST+0100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Bump. Trying to get the price down on this as parts are starting to go out of stock.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xNKdkT
    Made some adjustments. Thinking of going for a 1050ti since 1060 prices just keep going up.

Looking for second hand GPU as well

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£187.14 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£73.79 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£73.77 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card (£267.43 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£49.26 @ Box Limited)
    Total: £780.37
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-30 23:00 BST+0100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX1050Ti is a big step down. 2nd hand wise, you can get a GTX970 for about €180-200 which is not too far off the GTX1060, which sits in between the GTX970 and 980.

Witcher 3 high settings would really require a GTX1060 6GB as an absolute minimum though for general 60fps gameplay, let alone ultra settings. The GTX1050ti would do medium or so well enough.

Would an RX 580 be an improvement on a 1060?

This seems like a low price (considering) and is similar to the prices of the 1060's atm.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-580-red-devil-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18k-pc.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

jebidiah wrote: »
    Would an RX 580 be an improvement on a 1060?

This seems like a low price (considering) and is similar to the prices of the 1060's atm.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-580-red-devil-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18k-pc.html#

The 580 and 1060 are much the same, some games favour one card while other games favour the other. But overall I would say the 580 is the better card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looking at my budget and what I want to spend i think getting a 1060 or rx580 is out of my range at the moment if I want to build a good base system.

I'll be taking a look at an MSI 970 this week off of adverts for €180 (about the price for a 1050ti from MSI). I haven't got the full spec of it yet, but if I were to over clock it, and the ryzen 5, would I need to improve my choice of power supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A Seasonic S12-II 520W is only £54 on Amazon.

All done. Tried my best to get as much of what I have seen recommended from both here and reddit.

Components below also including a qisan keyboard and wifi/bluetooth adapter cost me €660, with the gpu coming in at €180 putting me at €840. A little over budget, but that includes the keyboard and other bits I wasn't originally counting on.

Would really appreciate any tips going forward putting things together and overclocking etc.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£183.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£82.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£165.00)
    Case: Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£37.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Case Fan: ARCTIC - Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£3.74 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £617.68
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-31 16:00 BST+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Solid spec. Main tips I can give are to watch a few videos on youtube around pc building. Make sure to touch bare metal before you start touching the motherboard/cpu/RAM so as to avoid any static electricity issues. Don't be afraid of it, it's no more complicated than putting together flat pack furniture.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Solid spec. Main tips I can give are to watch a few videos on youtube around pc building. Make sure to touch bare metal before you start touching the motherboard/cpu/RAM so as to avoid any static electricity issues. Don't be afraid of it, it's no more complicated than putting together flat pack furniture.

Yeah I'll definitely check out build and cable management videos as I've seen some really neat builds. Former electrician so I'm hoping I'll be ok with the cables...!

Ive changed ram around in laptops and pre builts and moved os's to ssd's etc but I am nervous about putting in the cpu.

Other things I'm not 100% sure on is BIOS updates over clocking etc.

But there seem to be tons on sites talking about ram and bios issues for ryzen so I'm sure I'll fine what I need!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll definitely check out build and cable management videos as I've seen some really neat builds. Former electrician so I'm hoping I'll be ok with the cables...!

Ive changed ram around in laptops and pre builts and moved os's to ssd's etc but I am nervous about putting in the cpu.

Other things I'm not 100% sure on is BIOS updates over clocking etc.

But there seem to be tons on sites talking about ram and bios issues for ryzen so I'm sure I'll fine what I need!

About the CPU there is a triangle in the corner and another on the corner of the CPU socket just line the two up and drop it in. Do not press down heavy on it just lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The GTX1050Ti is a big step down. 2nd hand wise, you can get a GTX970 for about €180-200 which is not too far off the GTX1060, which sits in between the GTX970 and 980.

Witcher 3 high settings would really require a GTX1060 6GB as an absolute minimum though for general 60fps gameplay, let alone ultra settings. The GTX1050ti would do medium or so well enough.

On a 970 with a 6600K I get 60fps ultra at 1080p when I take off anti aliasing and move Hairworx to low detail/Geralt only; can't remember the exact settings but on a mix of medium and high on a 1050 TI (with a G4560) I had about 50fps.

Billy86 wrote: »
    On a 970 with a 6600K I get 60fps ultra at 1080p when I take off anti aliasing and move Hairworx to low detail/Geralt only; can't remember the exact settings but on a mix of medium and high on a 1050 TI (with a G4560) I had about 50fps.

With my i5 5200u and geforce 940m I can get 30 FPS with a mix of high and medium settings. Hairworks completely off but a lot of the post processing effects that don't really affect FPS too much turned on.

I really feel like I lucked out with that laptop. It's served me very well!

So yes, I will be taking giant leap forwards and even high settings with the 970 will probably blow my mind!

Some parts of the rig arriving today at parcel motel, happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't get your windows key from Kinguin, just use a trial version of W10

Potato pick for now as I only got around to assembly late this evening.

Was quite stressed as I was worried about static and the light where I was assembling wasn't great.

Got everything up and running, bios flashed to newest version and memory running at its correct speed. Windows 10 installed (trial, I guess? I just didn't sign in)

Not going to OC the processor just yet but will once I have played around with it a bit and seen how it performs.

Haven't downloaded any games yet or tied down the cables at the back. Did a fairly decent job of routing them despite the limitations of the case.

Looks good. What card did you go for in the end?

Looks good. What card did you go for in the end?

A second hand GTX 970 from adverts. Should be better than a 1050ti, and maybe I'll be able to get a 1080ti or something in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A second hand GTX 970 from adverts. Should be better than a 1050ti, and maybe I'll be able to get a 1080ti or something in the future.

I've used both, 970 is a lot better. Not to sh*t on the 1050 TI which is very good for budget builds and really lower power consumption but you made the right call there! :)

Advertisement