Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lagertha

I'm finding it really hard to get motivated lately. I was a member in late 2016 and lost a stone and a half pretty quickly and kept it off but then had a summer of weddings and holidays etc and since then have gained it all back plus another stone on top. I rejoined SW a few months ago and have been losing and gaining the same 4 pounds since then. I'm alright during the day but come about 8pm I'm a disaster. My weigh day is Monday so hopefully if I'm back on plan til then I will have a little loss and that might give me the motivation to keep going. It's so hard losing weight that I've already lost before, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Lagertha wrote: »
    I'm finding it really hard to get motivated lately. I was a member in late 2016 and lost a stone and a half pretty quickly and kept it off but then had a summer of weddings and holidays etc and since then have gained it all back plus another stone on top. I rejoined SW a few months ago and have been losing and gaining the same 4 pounds since then. I'm alright during the day but come about 8pm I'm a disaster. My weigh day is Monday so hopefully if I'm back on plan til then I will have a little loss and that might give me the motivation to keep going. It's so hard losing weight that I've already lost before, if that makes sense?
    I think you just have to decide you really want it - I'm talking to myself here as much as I'm talking to you in all honesty.
    I've a similar story, although not so bad in that I've only gained a stone of the 2.5 stone that I'd lost, but yes I have moments when I'm very resentful of "having to lose weight I've already lost". That thinking does me no good though, so I'm trying to banish those thoughts. I just have to look at the situation as it is, rather than how i'd like it to be. I have a number in front of me and I have to just keep chipping away at it.
    Look at it this way, by joining back at least you've drawn a line under the gain. Yes you're going backwards and forwards at the moment, but if you hadnt joined back then you'd probably be up even more. 
    As for snacking in the evenings, I suffer from that too. The best defence IMO is two fold;
    1. As I mentioned, you have to keep reminding yourself how much you want it. How much being at your target weight will make you happy in the short term versus the short term happiness of sweets etc.
    2. You have to change whats in the kitchen. Make sure you have fruit, berries, fat free youhurt....whatever you happen to like. Also don't totally deprive yourself, buy some of what you like but buy treat size items and syn accordingly. Personally I love dairy milk little bars for 5 sysn.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I’ve been away for the last couple of weeks and have group again tomorrow - missed the last two. I haven’t been on plan for two out of the three weeks but weighing myself at home, I’m down quite a bit. To be honest, I’m pretty confused. I was doing a lot of walking while I was away but I didn’t think that would have been enough to counteract the eating I was doing. My last group before my holiday I was up three pounds despite a fairly on-plan week. I’m very confused but we’ll see what tomorrow will bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I've been steadily putting on weight for the past three weeks. I'm hoping that returning to routine next week will help and I can start seeing losses again.

Down 9 pounds! I’m shocked. I was genuinely very very not on plan for two of my three weeks away. Don’t get me wrong, I’m delighted. Got my 2 stone award and I’m just 6.5 pounds from my target. But I’m so confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lagertha wrote: »
    I'm alright during the day but come about 8pm I'm a disaster.

Gah! Sounds like you're not prepared and just have whatever's around the house. Ya gotta plan your meals. Make yourself a batch of spaghetti Bolognese - there's 3 days' dinners. Pick up some frozen SW dinners (for when you just don't want to cook) - 12 minutes in the microwave. I'd have it twice a week. Recommend the noodle bowls: Korean beef, pork char sui and laksa prawn are my favs.

It's a new day, a new week, leave this week behind and start fresh. Only present you can help future you, make it easy on her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Week 71 only down 1/2lb pretty disappointed with that as I as hoping for more after a pretty good week ( not 100%) but one of my best weeks in a long time

I'm heading on holidays on Saturday for a week so no weigh in next week.

So total lost 56.5lbs and now 18.5lbs to target.

Onwards and downwards Val...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I've been MIA since mid June due to work.
    Work have also been providing us with irresistible gourmet sandwiches made with slices of fresh crusty bread as thick as my wrist because we were far too busy to leave for lunch, the canteen was stocked with chocolate & biscuits & food we could grab on the go. To top it off we were also treated to 99's most days....
    Food optimizing went out the window, I was starting at 8am & finishing up at 9.30pm so was far to tired to be messing around making lunches or going food shopping. I also had my best friends wedding the weekend!

So no surprise I was up 7.5lbs since my last weigh in!!
    That's on top of the 6lb I had gained & was struggling with the few months before.
    This leaves me 13.5lbs to loose to get back to target

I've done it before so I know I can do it again, onwards & downwards as ye all say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Val keep on it and see what happens next week. I find with gains and losses that it's the week after I'm affected on the scales!

I'm gonna fess up. I didn't go to my weigh in last week as I'm so frustrated with my consultant. But I got myself in a really good mind frame after I had a stern talking to with myself. Only then to get another text "next weeks class will be weigh and pay" this happens every few weeks. I've stayed on plan 100% this week. Counted all my syns every day. I could do with a bit more water maybe. But I'm going back to the weigh in next week and see where I am. If it wasn't for the support on this forum I would have thrown in the towel. I feel accountable to ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Areas wrote: »
    I'm gonna fess up. I didn't go to my weigh in last week as I'm so frustrated with my consultant. But I got myself in a really good mind frame after I had a stern talking to with myself. Only then to get another text "next weeks class will be weigh and pay" this happens every few weeks. I've stayed on plan 100% this week. Counted all my syns every day. I could do with a bit more water maybe. But I'm going back to the weigh in next week and see where I am. If it wasn't for the support on this forum I would have thrown in the towel. I feel accountable to ye!

Go to a different group. I rejoined and went to a new one. So happy I did. No point paying if you are not happy there

I'm from a quite rural area and there's really not a lot of choice without having to go completely out of my way or sitting in a car park for an hour before a group starts. Just the logistics doesn't work out.

So I went and weighed in last night after missing my usual group on Tuesday. Down 1lb again. I know any loss is good but I really had expected more that 2lbs in 2 weeks when I've been making an effort. Its not like I'm so near my target that any incremental loss is good. 
    I'm glad I weighed in because I could feel my resolve weakening but I really want to see something positive on the scales next week to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm from a quite rural area and there's really not a lot of choice without having to go completely out of my way or sitting in a car park for an hour before a group starts. Just the logistics doesn't work out.

I'm rural too. I am going 7 miles in the opposite direction to the new group. I don't understand why sw let these terrible leaders continue as they must know how bad some of them are

I'd be around the same whelan2. 7 miles in the opposite direction. But the other group doesn't start until 7.30 and I'd be passing on the way home from work/gym at 6.30. So it's sit in the car park for an hour really since going home the 7 miles and then coming back again....I don't know.
    I've sent e-mails to slimming world and spoke to someone on their helpline about these cancelled classes. I counted them up there and since I started in May 2017 there have been 17 classes cancelled and been pay and weigh instead. That's 17 times I went there to get support and that support hasn't been there. As I said I've e-mailed SW about this but they haven't taken any heed.
    Our class is on a Monday so automatically those classes become pay and weigh. I thought this was normal until I started following other classes around the country and saw them posting inspirational posts such as "even though is a BH we're here for you" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That’s mental. Our leader is always going on about the benefit of classes, and how much the people who just weigh and leave miss out on. And yet there’s leaders who get away with charging the full price for a hugely reduced service!
    That’s just awgul, and even worse that SW aren’t doing anything about it, that’s very disheartening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I joined Slimming World for the first time this week.. having been familiar with the basic rules for years due to family who are Slimming World members.. I finally decided to join rather than thinking I knew the rules, after piling on the pounds lately..

Beer will be the thoughest part for me but I look forwarding posting here.. I've been lurking here for a long time so I look forward to contributing going forward!

I thought I had posted earlier but I probably typed it all out and then closed the page by mistake!
    So a lady who has been going to the classes with me and is annoyed the same as me texted saying that one of the groups just next to work is now going to have a 5.30pm class on the Monday! So absolutely perfect for me!!!
    New consultant, new class, new point of view!
    I'm delighted!
    So that's starting on the 3rd of September, so I just have to endure one more pay and weigh with my old consultant then start off with a fresh consultant the week after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

That's great Areas ,I'm the same as you I feel accountable to you guys here too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'd be around the same whelan2. 7 miles in the opposite direction. But the other group doesn't start until 7.30 and I'd be passing on the way home from work/gym at 6.30. So it's sit in the car park for an hour really since going home the 7 miles and then coming back again....I don't know.
    I've sent e-mails to slimming world and spoke to someone on their helpline about these cancelled classes. I counted them up there and since I started in May 2017 there have been 17 classes cancelled and been pay and weigh instead. That's 17 times I went there to get support and that support hasn't been there. As I said I've e-mailed SW about this but they haven't taken any heed.
    Our class is on a Monday so automatically those classes become pay and weigh. I thought this was normal until I started following other classes around the country and saw them posting inspirational posts such as "even though is a BH we're here for you" etc.

Thats ridiculous. My group has changed because the hotel where it was is changing into student accommodation (Galway.) The only annoying bit is the group times have changed from 5.30 to 5 and 7.30 to 7. I finish work at 5 but I’m hoping if I make it there by 5.30 I’ll miss the big queue, weigh ins usually take about 40 minutes. 7 is dinner time!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

Hi everyone. newbie alert! I'll be joining class Wednesday. I have a gallbladder issue, so will be looking to do a low/dairy free, possibly gluten free version of the plan with limited red meat- has anyone ever had success with slimming world with a gallbladder issue ? Thank you

I'm not sure about gallbladder but there was a woman in my class who did the plan dairy free and gluten free. It took her a while to adjust to the plan. It just involved going through the book and pinpointing what she could have and once she got in to a routine she was very successful and reached target. The consultant should be able to help you with your choices and there should be some articles to read on the website once you get your log on details.
    Good luck and let us know how you're getting on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Probably not the same gallbladder condition, but I had gallstones, which flared up when I started losing weight (was unaware of them at the start). I lost 3 stone, and then had my gallbladder removed - I have lost another 1.5 stone since.
    There was a vegan in my class who seemed to be doing well on the plan, and I have a friend who is vegan who lost 1.5 stone using Slimming World.

I forgot to say how i got on last night. I was half a pound up and not impressed! I stayed 100% on plan all week. Even when I went to a double 60th on Saturday. I stayed away from the buffet and only had diet 7up all night. On Sunday when everyone around me was eating cake and chocolate I had a salad and apples! I went to the gym 5 times last week as well. I'm going to stick with it 100% this week as well as I know myself that sometimes the hard work might not show until the week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was down 1lb this morning. Probably as much as I could expect whilst following my own version of the plan!!! I’m going to try and put in a good couple of on plan weeks- I feel that if I started to see results myself it would motivate me a lot more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I forgot to say how i got on last night. I was half a pound up and not impressed! I stayed 100% on plan all week. Even when I went to a double 60th on Saturday. I stayed away from the buffet and only had diet 7up all night. On Sunday when everyone around me was eating cake and chocolate I had a salad and apples! I went to the gym 5 times last week as well. I'm going to stick with it 100% this week as well as I know myself that sometimes the hard work might not show until the week after.

Measure your portions too. That's where many people make errors. Don't eat too little either.

You're right spurious, for a few weeks there I definitely wasn't eating enough. I think that's why I've hit a bit of a lull. Not eating enough of my speed food. Just eating my HExs and a load of free (pasta) and P foods. I need to fill my plate more with speed foods. My portions were tiny as well.
    I've been very tired a lot of the time and I think it's come down to not having enough of the right foods. I'm "on plan" syns wise but not on plan when it comes to eating the right about of speed foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey what's on plan at Nandos? :)

https://fatgirlskinny.net/nandos-syn-values/

Since when is Chicken Butterfly plain with no skin 3.5 syns? It used to be 0 afaik.

Me and herself go out for dinner on a Wednesday (we don't live together yet). We always goes with chicken butterfly and two spicy rice and we harbour a bag of spinach in. The salad in Nandos is brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Also... does anyone in here happen to do SW in D12 or D8 by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

First weigh in after joining last week and I'm down 6lbs, which puts me at 15st 8.

I'm hoping that loss will help keep me motivated and determined, basically aim to do the same again this week and hope no slip ups.. all with the expectations that the first week is an outlier and the next week's are 1 or 2lbs (hopefully).

Anyways, fingers crossed I'm on the right path and all that jazz.

• Advertisement

Well done sumsar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

You're right spurious, for a few weeks there I definitely wasn't eating enough. I think that's why I've hit a bit of a lull. Not eating enough of my speed food. Just eating my HExs and a load of free (pasta) and P foods. I need to fill my plate more with speed foods. My portions were tiny as well.
    I've been very tired a lot of the time and I think it's come down to not having enough of the right foods. I'm "on plan" syns wise but not on plan when it comes to eating the right about of speed foods.

I did slimming world last year and reached target after consistent losses every week. I ate more than Id ever eaten previously. I really think what worked for me was having my 1/3 speed with pretty much every meal. I usually had 10 to 15 syns a day as well,unless i was saving for the weekenf☺ It took a while to get into it but by the end of the second week it just became habit and I still find myself putting my speed on my plate first and then my free foods. Free is good but free plus speed is great!

Week one back on plan -3lb

Going to my new class tonight. I'm seeing it as a fresh start!

Going to my new class tonight. I'm seeing it as a fresh start!

How did you get on?

It's amazing the difference a good class can make.
    I tried out a few before the one I am in now & they were soooooo boring it was a chore to stay for image therapy. The one I'm in now is great craic, so much so that even though my job is relocating a few min away from the previous classes, I will travel the 20+ min to stay where I am!

I loved the new group last night! The biggest game changer was the new cheese she recommended to me. She said you can find it in tesco and you can have 70g of it as your HEXA and also a low fat sausage you can get in Aldi. It's just small things like that and less of the people asking "Can I have 20 apples a day".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I loved the new group last night! The biggest game changer was the new cheese she recommended to me. She said you can find it in tesco and you can have 70g of it as your HEXA and also a low fat sausage you can get in Aldi. It's just small things like that and less of the people asking "Can I have 20 apples a day".

What is this cheese?!?! And sausage? I like tips like these!

I'm thinking of changing my group, my consultant is lovely but I just don't find the same friendliness and group feel as it had before. Plus there are some people who just talk over everyone else. Plus there is a group jist across the road from my work now instead of a trek across town. Will see, I go on holiday this week so will decide when I get back, maybe try out the other first.

cee_jay wrote: »
    What is this cheese?!?! And sausage? I like tips like these!

I'm thinking of changing my group, my consultant is lovely but I just don't find the same friendliness and group feel as it had before. Plus there are some people who just talk over everyone else. Plus there is a group jist across the road from my work now instead of a trek across town. Will see, I go on holiday this week so will decide when I get back, maybe try out the other first.

My group is great. Really makes a difference when you have a leader who is tuned in. Often find mysrlf thinking of what treats i will have after weigh in. She always says dint go mad after wrigh in as it will affect next weejs wrigh in. She is right. Down 2.5lbs last night

The cheese is Eatlean Protein Cheese. She said you can find it in the fridges in Tesco (maybe other shops have it as well) near all the body building stuff (egg whites in a bottle and all that). You can get it in block form or grated form. There's also a spreadable version.

Eatlean Protein Cheese (25g) 2 syns
    Eatlean Protein Cheese (70g) hexA or 6 syns
    Eatlean Grated Protein Cheese (25g) 2 syns
    Eatlean Grated Protein Cheese (70g) hexA or 6 syns
    Eatlean Spreadable Protein Cheese (25g) 1½ syns
    Eatlean Spreadable Protein Cheese (90g) hexA or 6 syns

The sausages are the Aldi Brannans low fat sausages. They come in a pack of 6 and they are half a syn each.

She also showed us the Vienetta on a stick from Iceland that are 3 syns each.

Delighted you're getting on so well with the new group. I think I must be a bit spoiled with my group as I really find the leader and others in the group so helpful.

On sausages, Dunne's do a brand called Loughnane's which are only 1 syn per sausage. They're really lovely.

• Advertisement

They're lovely sausages! I like to buy them in bulk, split them in to portions of 2 and then freeze them ready for my Saturday morning fry. Most Saturdays I'll have sausages, eggs, beans, toast (hexb), bacon medallions and if I have it in boiled boxty from Iceland. the only syns I'd use would be for the sausages and if I had it, ketchup.

The ge Dublin meat company have a white pudding by Whelans thats 2 syns I think for the while lot. Its made with chickpeas etc

whelan2 wrote: »
    The ge Dublin meat company have a white pudding by Whelans thats 2 syns I think for the while lot. Its made with chickpeas etc

Omg where can you buy this!!! I'd prefer black pudding....but I could make do with white pudding!!!

Omg where can you buy this!!! I'd prefer black pudding....but I could make do with white pudding!!!

In the Dublin meat company. Its a butchers. Plenty of them around. We have 2 in drogheda now

I'll have to research! I'm down in Galway. I'll see if they supply around here anywhere. (I would actually travel for this!)

Thanks a million!

I'll have to research! I'm down in Galway. I'll see if they supply around here anywhere. (I would actually travel for this!)

Thanks a million!

Ye it's Whelans white pudding

AFAIK the dublin meat company deliver, so even if its not local, you could do a meat order if you've room in your freezer and work through it gradually. Their Tex Mex Turkey burgers are super lean too, I think they're 154cals each, I dont even syn them but you probably should. They're €5 for a pack of 4, so super cost effective dinner option.

I'd love to do this myself but our freezer is always full :( I need one of those large press freezers really but don't have the space!

I can't see the 2 syn pudding. There's one White Protein pudding but when I put it in to the syn calculator under pork it's coming out at 6.5 syns.

I can't see the 2 syn pudding. There's one White Protein pudding but when I put it in to the syn calculator under pork it's coming out at 6.5 syns.

Should you be putting it in as pork though? Is it not made of chickpeas?

• Advertisement

Oh right, didn't think of that. This is why I'm not allowed near the syn calculator!

Advertisement