Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

That's a shame autumnbelle as I found the talk my leader gave on my first week to be really useful. It went through all the key points well so I left the group that morning feeling quite well set. Do get stuck into the book but ask your leader for a chat either before or after next week's group to go through anything you're not sure of. Maybe even keep a food diary for her to look over next week to make sure you're not missing anything?

Key things to start off with would depend on what you like to eat, but lots of fresh fruit and veg - but do make a note of some that aren't speed. Things like bananas, grapes, pineapple are all free foods but they're not speed - avocado is the only fruit or veg I can think of that's synned so be aware of that too.

Also, get frylight so you don't waste all your syns on oil when cooking.

If you're buying mince, buy the 5% fat stuff. Cuts of meat are generally all free once visible fat is removed. Overall, I find that once I'm cooking things myself and not having processed foods, that it's quite easy to stick to the plan.

There are various breads, wraps, bagels, etc that will work as your Healthy Extra B. I find the Brennan's Be Good bread to be great as I can have 2 slices of that - Aldi and Lidl do their own versions of it. Can't think of the names now.

Oh and download the Slimming World app - SW Lifeline. The syn calculator in that is invaluable. It's saved me so many times from making big mistakes - about to buy or order something I assumed was healthy and on plan but very definitely wasn't!

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's a disgrace that you didn't get the new member talk. That's what you're paying for. I'd ring the consultant and ask her to explain the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

cee_jay wrote: »
    Does anyone know the syn value of Avonmore Feel Good Garden Soup?
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264499876 When putting it through the syn calculator I am unsure if I should use a free food or non-free food. Thanks!

By my calculations it's 5 syns for the carton, which is actually pretty good! Other soups are dangerously high, like 14 or 24 syns :-O

Edit: never mind, replying to a post that’s been edited.

No the class started at half five and I was there for that and she started talking at 6 I was very surprised. Im going to get really into the book and figure it out. Any key things I should pick up in aldi?

I usually shop in Tesco but here's my take:

Fry light is the #1 best kitchen change you'll make! Oil in the pan is now 1 cal per spray, so it's free!
    Passata is a fantastic base for so many meals and soups.
    A pan of Be Good bread for your HeB
    Salad things: lamb's lunch, tomatoes, sliced chicken/ham, dressings if low cal (the healthy living ones in Tesco are 0.5 syn per tbsp) I like crinkle cut Beetroot, pickle slices and silver onions too (all free).
    A small notebook and pen to write down the syn values of your new roster of foods!
    Laughing Cow extra light cheese. 1 syn per triangle! And it's quite generous. This was a huge change.
    No added salt and sugar ketchup! Tastes really good and 1/4 syn per tbsp!
    There's a 10 pack of 35g plain oats, you get 40g for your HeB but I like the convenience better.
    Fat Free yogurt (there may be a syn value)
    Frozen berries (make overnight oats as breakfast!)

Anyway that's all I got. The rest will depend on what you want for dinner :)

Anyone happen to know the syns for IKEA meatballs? :o

Searching around the net, they say 10 syns for 6! Hope that helps.

After all my whining being up 7 pounds last week, this week I’m.... down 7! 🙄 Let’s hope that’s the end of the oddness and I’m back on an even keel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

So I was up 3.5lbs last night but that was after a 6 night session in Scotland followed by a night of eating and drinking in Dublin when I came home, so it could have been A LOT worse!
    Also, this week I'm focusing on a non-scale victory.
    I went shopping for new jeans on the weekend as my old ones were starting to look like clown pants.
    I am now a size 14!!!
    Pre-SW I was a size 20/22 so I am delighted!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Areas wrote: »
    So I was up 3.5lbs last night but that was after a 6 night session in Scotland followed by a night of eating and drinking in Dublin when I came home, so it could have been A LOT worse!
    I went shopping for new jeans on the weekend as my old ones were starting to look like clown pants.
    I am now a size 14!!!

Wow!!!! Well done..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Areas thats brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Areas wrote: »
    I am now a size 14!!!

Incredible work, Areas! That's incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just finished my first week back, 4lb down, woohoo! Aim is 3lb now for next week. Didn't really deserve the 4lb loss but I'll take it! :D And will get stuck in now for the next week.

Well done Areas that's brilliant for a week on the lash!

Congrats Foweva that's more than a quarter stone! Best of luck for next week.

Had a whopper week, got my 4.5 stone after dropping 3.5lbs. My body must be making room as I'm on holidays this week and the hotel has an open bar for a couple hours a day. They'll live to regret that :D

I have a hen party this weekend but I'm being good right up until then, and I'm still going to make my weigh in on Monday no matter what the damage is. I've been in constant communication with my consultant.
    Next Thursday I'm off to Indonesia for 2 weeks.
    As much as I'm looking forward to the holiday I'm also looking forward to coming home and getting back on track and with no distractions get my 5 stone award and hopefully 5 and a half stone award before Christmas!

First week done 5lb down. Dunno how but delighted. Heres to week two :)

Does Fruit&Fibre count as HExB?

First week back after a year, 4lb down and I must admit, I really struggled this week. Didn't feel prepared or organised at all. Have to get my head straight for this week now.

Does Fruit&Fibre count as HExB?

My app is saying that Tesco, Aldi and some other UK supermarket own brand versions are a HexB for 40g, but not the Kellogg's. Kellogg's is 4.5 syns for 25g.

amor3 wrote: »
    First week back after a year, 4lb down and I must admit, I really struggled this week. Didn't feel prepared or organised at all. Have to get my head straight for this week now.
    I feel the same never weighed or measured a and b extras and need a good shopping to get organised. Feel I'll be caught out next week!!

• Advertisement

I feel the same never weighed or measured a and b extras and need a good shopping to get organised. Feel I'll be caught out next week!!

I never really measure, I'm to lazy, I always try go for the ready to go healthy extras! I'll have 2 wholemeal bread in the evening, "buttered" with 2 extra light cheese triangles, and beans on top.

Can anyone tell me which shop sells fat free fromaige frais???

Down 3.5 pounds this weekend. Delighted! I'm not far off my target now at all. I probably did some damage this weekend as had a few celebrations on, but I'll be having a good week and hoping for a maintain this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

amor3 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me which shop sells fat free fromaige frais???

It's difficult to get, Tesco used to do it but they seem to have discontinued it. In most cases you can substitute 0% fat Greek yoghurt or quark.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pleh

Gone off plan for last 3 days after a maintain last week. Don't know if it's a hiccup or I'm just fed up of the whole thing. It doesn't help that pressure has ramped up in work and study.
    May have a gain this week for the first time. Ive lost 1.5 stone with the same to go. I thought I'd be at target end Nov but that's not likely now as the weight loss has slowed down. Losing 3.5 when you're close to target is amazing but not something my metabolism will let me do !
    Not much time to correct the damage ive done lately, so tempted not to go to class this week.
    :(

Pleh, definitely go to group, those are the weeks you need it more, it's a blip, you will get there x

Definitely go pleh. I felt the same for a long while. I hated facing the scales when I knew the result wouldn’t be great but when I went and stayed for group, I was so much more motivated for the next week. It stopped 3 days off plan becoming a week off plan becoming a month off plan...

Go, accept whatever result you get and know that we’ve all been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

@ally pally I should have followed your advice I have well and truly fallen off the wagon and down a ravine ( filled with crisps, chocolate and red wine)..... So disappointed in myself. Please guys and gals offer some words of wisdom ....to get me back and on it again. Val

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Valyawl wrote: »
    @ally pally I should have followed your advice I have well and truly fallen off the wagon and down a ravine ( filled with crisps, chocolate and red wine)..... So disappointed in myself. Please guys and gals offer some words of wisdom ....to get me back and on it again. Val

Val, the hardest part is to keep going when the going gets tough.

Go to your next class, step on the scales and draw a line under that figure.

Take every meal at a time after that, keep on track every day and see the weight come off every week.

It's that easy and that difficult.

Step away from the crisps, chocolate and red wine.

Look into your wardrobe and see the lovely new clothes you bought. You don't want to have to fold them away and go back to your old big sizes.

Look into the mirror tomorrow mornings and say to yourself out loud "I'm keeping on track today", and do it.

It's that easy and that difficult.

Don't let the old habits win, you can beat this

You can 100% do this Val. We all fall off the wagon but that’s not the end of your SW journey. Decide that tomorrow is a new day and it’s the day you’re getting back on track and sticking with it. You’ve done it before and you’ll do it again.

You’ve come so far. You might be feeling disappointed in yourself right now but what you’ve lost to date is so inspiring.

On a practical level, I’ve found keeping a food diary to be the best thing I’ve done in the last few weeks. It makes me accountable for everything.

So come on, say it with me. Onwards and downwards!

Val well done for coming on and admitting that you've fallen off the wagon.
    Go to you class. See what you weigh now and start fresh.
    You've come so far.
    Make a plan for the next few days food wise and be prepared. Have loads of healthy snacks in and really fill up on them.
    I know that you're so strong and this is only a small bump in the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Was expecting a gain this week as I was away,but ended up having a vomiting bug for the whole stay so I'm 4 1/2 pounds down,every cloud and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was up 1. Fully deserved

I was up 2.5lbs after being on a hen party. I thought it would be more. I'm on holidays for the next 2 weeks so that'll be great craic facing the scales when I return!!!

Valyawl wrote: »
    I have well and truly fallen off the wagon and down a ravine ( filled with crisps, chocolate and red wine)

Being honest with yourself will do wonders - its a great first step to righting the ship. here's my thoughts on what you can do:

- The most important one might be the most difficult, and that's working out why you're binging. Having this self-destructive relationship with food will sabotage you at every turn! i don't know your situation so this may not easily be solved. You shouldn't be fighting yourself to become a better you.

- I'd advise planning your syns & cheat meals, so you can feel better about it, and motivate yourself to eat right the rest of the week, as you're working towards it.

- Get those trigger splurge foods out of the house! Seriously throw them out. Or at least move them into someone else's bedroom, somewhere you shouldnt be. Ya gotta get full/satisfied on SW-friendly meals, and have the bad stuff as a snack/treat.

- Make dinners that will go off so you have to use them! You need to make it easier on yourself, that you can go on autopilot, not wondering or fudging the books to say that you're still on plan. Today i made SW Italian chicken and tomato soup, and boiled some baby potatoes. that's lunch for 3 days! batch cooking will help you out so much here.

- if u don't have one, get a food diary. i take photos of every meal/snack and write it down at the end of the day, along with water intake (at least 2L day).

Anywoo that's loads. keep up chatting here and in group, SW and healthy choices is hard, but we're here to share the load 🙂 You can, and you will! kick some ass this week!

And now to damage the credibility of that last post...!

Put on 4.5 lbs! Spent the week in Singapore, gorging with my college buddies for a wedding. It's more than halfway undone my losing 8lbs over the prior 2 weeks :D Also wore jeans, shoes and a belt to the weigh-in so I could wear that from now on (joining in April, I'd always worn shorts). It's getting into the winter and I don't want to have to change to get weighed!

I didn't deny myself any of the foods there, even though it was generally oily. Dude, I ate at a Michelin star restaurant for FOUR DOLLARS! (€3). Thurs-Sunday was a train wreck; the Asians want to eat and the Irish want to drink so we did both! Sat evening was the reception and an 11-course meal, and Sunday brunch was another 11-course meal. It was glorious!

I'll stop talking about me pigging out in a second! With inclusive meals at the hotel, i took the opportunity to have things I haven't had in 25 weeks; like doughnuts (which honestly aren't great, like light white bread and sugar). Also had my first taste of real butter in months (it was oily, and frankly a bit gross) but fancy breads - they were phenomenal, I don't regret it!

Got to restock my fridge around lunchtime today, looking forward to shedding that 4.5 this week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Guys thank you all for your advice and the kick up the a** I need

My plan is to join as a new member and clean slate ( not keeping my history). I'm going to change my group also for some new ideas and a different consultant. I've been off work for last 12 months and I'm returning within the next few weeks so this group will suit me better.

So watch this space, I will keep you guys posted..

Onwards and downwards. Val , thank you all again

Sounds like a great plan Val. All the best!

A bloody maintain this week!!! Not happy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any good suggestions for low(ish) syn chocolate? I know Fredo are fairly low at 4.5 syns. Anything similar? Milky Bars, etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any good suggestions for low(ish) syn chocolate? I know Fredo are fairly low at 4.5 syns. Anything similar? Milky Bars, etc...

Huge big list here:
    https://fatgirlskinny.net/get-your-chocolate-fix-for-under-5-syns-slimming-world/

• Advertisement

Lately I've been going mad and having a crunchie,they are the multi pack ones 26g and are 6syns but my god do they feel like such a treat. They last ages too if you lick all the chocolate off and then eat the honeycomb.. Yom

I love the little Kinder bars with the white filling, only €1.50 in Dealz for a multipack of 5 little ones or 8 even littler ones!

Cheers guys - have the fiancee her birthday presents but wanted to do like a goodie bag of low syn chocolate for her too :)

Cheers guys - have the fiancee her birthday presents but wanted to do like a goodie bag of low syn chocolate for her too :)

That's lovely! :o

That's lovely! :o

Why thank you! :D

Can anyone tell me the syns for Cadbury Dairy Milk Buttons 14.4g (76 calories) & Nestle MilkyBar Discs ~15g (87 calories) - Google is giving me 3.5/4 syns each?

Why thank you! :D

Can anyone tell me the syns for Cadbury Dairy Milk Buttons 14.4g (76 calories) & Nestle MilkyBar Discs ~15g (87 calories) - Google is giving me 3.5/4 syns each?

On the app
    4 for buttons
    4.5 for discs but it says 16g bag not 15g?

Lashes28 wrote: »
    On the app
    4 for buttons
    4.5 for discs but it says 16g bag not 15g?

Must be a 16g bag - just gives a total on the outside of the 12 pack. Cheers Lashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

What's everyone's experience with SW and the gym? I know this has prob been asked before but I'd love to know peoples personal experiences. I joined SW 4 weeks ago. Doing great, lost 7.5lbs so far. But I want to join a gym too to tone up. I have played with the idea of walking/jogging at night but it's dark so quick I'm afraid to go alone 😂 I would assume at first weight loss will slow but does it take long after that to return to normal?

Yo! I'm 4.5 stone down after 6 months. Joined a gym after 2 months. I just go twice a week for swimming class, for toning/combat loose skin. Can't say it's improved my weight loss, but it has improved my flexibility, mood and upped my strength a wee bit.

Gym is one of those things where you'll start seeing improvements in measurements, and sometimes not the scales, but looking better overall is why you'd join SW! You might wanna up your protein if working out. Getting more muscle mass will fill out your skin better and other people can tell it better on you. Highly recommend giving it a whirl.

Btw weight loss is about 80% diet so giving that 80% 100% is more than enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yo! I'm 4.5 stone down after 6 months. Joined a gym after 2 months. I just go twice a week for swimming class, for toning/combat loose skin. Can't say it's improved my weight loss, but it has improved my flexibility, mood and upped my strength a wee bit.

Gym is one of those things where you'll start seeing improvements in measurements, and sometimes not the scales, but looking better overall is why you'd join SW! You might wanna up your protein if working out. Getting more muscle mass will fill out your skin better and other people can tell it better on you. Highly recommend giving it a whirl.

Btw weight loss is about 80% diet so giving that 80% 100% is more than enough!

Wow! 4.5 in 6 months is amazing! Congrats! Thanks for this! I used to go to the gym loads before I started a job I hated and just coundlent get the energy to go and the weight just piled on. I do miss it alright but I was paranoid that if I started and went gaining muscle that I would get depressed that wasn't "losing weight" even though i would be losing inches. I might have the intro chat and see what happens after that! Thanks!!

Advertisement