Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Mkelly1989 wrote: »
    What's everyone's experience with SW and the gym? I know this has prob been asked before but I'd love to know peoples personal experiences. I joined SW 4 weeks ago. Doing great, lost 7.5lbs so far. But I want to join a gym too to tone up. I have played with the idea of walking/jogging at night but it's dark so quick I'm afraid to go alone �� I would assume at first weight loss will slow but does it take long after that to return to normal?

Your loss will slow significantly, at least in my experience that's what happened me. But my body fat and inches went down every single week.
    I looked a lot, lot leaner/slimmer, despite not losing a whole lot on the scales.

If you are the type of person that HAS to see the scales move then it could be demotivating, but if you were to track your body fat/measurements as well as the scales, that should keep you going.

My body composition has completely changed for the better since I started going to the gym, and its made the world of difference.

I don't think I'd have been able to achieve the changes I've seen through diet alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

D Day for me joining my new group tonight @ 5.30pm look forward to getting back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Valyawl wrote: »
    D Day for me joining my new group tonight @ 5.30pm look forward to getting back on track

You can buy a 12 week countdown for €90 and get a free cookbook. Might help to keep you focused. Was down 1 this morning. Happy with that as feeling meh today

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Mkelly1989 wrote: »
    What's everyone's experience with SW and the gym? I know this has prob been asked before but I'd love to know peoples personal experiences. I joined SW 4 weeks ago. Doing great, lost 7.5lbs so far. But I want to join a gym too to tone up. I have played with the idea of walking/jogging at night but it's dark so quick I'm afraid to go alone �� I would assume at first weight loss will slow but does it take long after that to return to normal?

Your weight loss will naturally slow anyway after the first few weeks on SW. My first couple of weeks I lost 3 and 4 pounds. A good week now would be 1 pound. I'm happy with that though as it's slow sustainable weight loss.

So don't be put off the gym by your weight loss slowing, that will happen anyway.

Just back home from my new group. I bought the 6 week countdown. It was nice to sit in a different group , consultant is enthusiastic I also follow her on snapchat so felt maybe I knew her a little ha ha.

The only thing I didn't like was what the scales showed me!!!

Anyhoo onwards and downwards !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Put on 4.5 lbs! Spent the week in Singapore, gorging with my college buddies for a wedding. It's more than halfway undone my losing 8lbs over the prior 2 weeks :D

Had a great weigh-in, lost 6.5 pounds! Ok so 4.5 of that was holiday weight but I've never lost that amount before, even on my first week. Was hoping for 5 so I'm chuffed! Also I've been sick (so I'd be hungry, eat, then sleep straight away) so it could've gone either way.

Drinking at least 2L water per day - it's much easier if u drink some as soon as you wake up, that's like 500ml sorted straight away. If you're getting sick of cordials, try lemon or lime juice, it's a zing and puts some edge on plain water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Joined SW last week, first weigh-in yesterday showed 5lbs down. I know the initial weight loss can be artificially high, but I'm still delighted :D, it's an encouraging start!

I gained about a stone over the summer, having been confined to the sofa for about 2 months with a broken ankle. The immobility also resulted in lots of takeaways being consumed so the weight piled on. Would LOVE to lose that stone by Christmas, then in 2019 hopefully I can tackle the rest of the extra poundage I was already carrying.

Delighted to find this thread, I have been reading the last few pages and it's great to hear how others are getting on and to pick up some tips along the way. It's like extra support above and beyond the weekly group.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Well done Scribbler, you're off to an amazing start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Started the gym last week 1 pound down at Monday's weigh in but my god do I ache, I might sound sick,but I love that feeling of not being able to walk down the stairs,im doing good to my muscles lol.

I also might sound like a gravy freak,but seen a recipe made from mushy peas for gravy, can't wait to try it out.

If any one is on Facebook, 'syns r us' is a great page has pictures of products as well as syn value, so handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pleh

pleh wrote: »
    Gone off plan for last 3 days after a maintain last week. Don't know if it's a hiccup or I'm just fed up of the whole thing. It doesn't help that pressure has ramped up in work and study.
    May have a gain this week for the first time.

As it turned out I was too busy to go (and glad about it). And I turned up the next week and was down 1.5 so there you go. I think i just needed a little break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pleh

amor3 wrote: »
    A bloody maintain this week!!! Not happy...
    Hi Amor3, I had that 2 weeks ago, seems we all have to put up with that and of course it beats a big gain hands down.

Guys I bought the Air fryer in lidl this week , salter is the brand and it was €50. Chips are Devine from it, sorry I didn't buy one sooner! Going to place an order this week too from naked meat company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Dublin Meat Company have some products aimed at Slimming World folks.
    For their 'Protein pots' (snackable chicken bits with dip)
    Mango and Chili Chicken 1
    Mexican Chicken 3.5
    Steamed Chicken 2.5
    Cajun Chicken 1.5
    No connection with the company but thought it was a good option. Going up there later. They seem to have a lot of healthy lean meat products.

spurious wrote: »
    Mexican Chicken 3.5
    Steamed Chicken 2.5
    Cajun Chicken 1.5
    No connection with the company but thought it was a good option. Going up there later. They seem to have a lot of healthy lean meat products.

Was wondering how many syns they were...they are having a flash sale they are €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

spurious wrote: »
    Mexican Chicken 3.5
    Steamed Chicken 2.5
    Cajun Chicken 1.5
    Is that the syn value with the dip? They are great to deal with. They also do pan and boiled boxty.

Is that the syn value with the dip? They are great to deal with. They also do pan and boiled boxty.
    I was not impressed in there during the week had bought the black and white puddings in local shop about a month ago, when I looked bbe date on black pudding was may 2018, I noticed this when I got home and gave it to the dog. I said it to the lad in the local store on Thurday and he said it couldnt happen , was very abrupt with me

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was not impressed in there during the week had bought the black and white puddings in local shop about a month ago, when I looked bbe date on black pudding was may 2018, I noticed this when I got home and gave it to the dog. I said it to the lad in the local store on Thurday and he said it couldnt happen , was very abrupt with me
    That's a pity. I found the opposite. They forgot something in my order and when I rang the guy said he'd give me two when I come in for the mix up. Suppose it depends on who you get.

Was it drogheda? I bought chicken breasts in it one day brought them home and they were gone off, the smell would bring tears to your eyes,so brought them back up and he was so rude too.. He told me it was impossible to happen and it was like he was doing me a favour by changing them for fresh ones.
    Wouldn't mind I'm a bloody regular there some weeks I'd spend 50quid in the place!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes. I think for legal reasons they can't say 'syns' or mention SW, so they call them sins instead, but it's the same thing.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Was it drogheda? I bought chicken breasts in it one day brought them home and they were gone off, the smell would bring tears to your eyes,so brought them back up and he was so rude too.. He told me it was impossible to happen and it was like he was doing me a favour by changing them for fresh ones.
    Wouldn't mind I'm a bloody regular there some weeks I'd spend 50quid in the place!!

Yes it was drogheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

How to get motivation back?

I first joined SW back in 2015 and I lost just shy of 2 stone in a year, my target at the time was 3 stone.

I left then for a while, and have since rejoined about 4 times, but I just can't seem to muster the same movitvation I had the first time round.
    I'm worse off than when I started now, with about 4 stone to lose :(

I'm seriously struggling and I'm really not happy right now with my body and my weight, it's seriously getting me down. I won't even go out any more because I'm so self concious.

I'm my head I know I can do, because I done it before, but I don't seem to be able to muster the willpower and motivation to do it.

HELP!!!

Update On my journey part 2!

I had a morning weigh in after breakfast as opposed to joining last week at a 5.30pm weigh in. Very pleased with my results considering I had a night out with alcohol and junk so I was way over syns in one day but was pretty good other than that. I wrote every single thing down and it definetly helps me to focus properly.

So I lost 8lbs!!!! Thrilled with myself . I'm not going to focus I think on getting my target weight this time as I kept on trying to chase the final loss of 3 lbs or so and just gave up trying and slipped back to old and BAD habits.

My new group is like a breath of fresh air and our consultant is good and still struggles with her journey so as she said today this is a lifelong ( scary I know ) commitment. I know I have to weigh in to be accountable and to keep me on track

Onwards and downwards . Val

Shelli2 wrote: »
    How to get motivation back? I'm seriously struggling and I'm really not happy right now with my body and my weight, it's seriously getting me down. I won't even go out any more because I'm so self concious. HELP!!!

OK! a lot of things you said hit me deep. I've got some points to think about:

1) You CAN sort this out now. You NEED to sort this out now. If you don't, you'll rejoin in 2020 with 6 STONE to lose.
    (This should light a fire under your ass!)

2) Good news! You know how to put on weight, you know how to lose weight - but YOU RIGHT NOW gets to decide if 2020 Shelli is struggling or a target member.

3) However bad your situation is, no matter how many lbs you put on, you're less than 2 years away from target. There's *no point in your life* where you will not able to turn it around! Vigilance and proper motivation is all that's needed to succeed, the door is always open to become a healthier you.

4) The hardest part you've already done, putting your self-hate and self-doubt aside long enough to rejoin. That's huge! you're already better off. You only have to make time once a week - but you must go and stay to class each week. the more engaged you are, the more motivation you'll have and the more weight you'll lose.

ok here's ten bits of more practical advice:
    1) Change your routine and surroundings as much as possible. ideally, move house/apartment (this helped me) but if not, paint a wall, or even rearrange the furniture. You need visual reminders that this time is different - things are different, YOU are different. Shop in a different supermarket (it can be the same chain, different store)

2) Talk to someone. friends or family or a therapist (preferably all three) you need support and motivation, and building off external motivation is easier. tell them you want to be better, you're sick of failing and you need their support. Find your triggers, reshape how you think of yourself, acknowledge all the good things about you. This is a health improvement (with weight loss as its primary benefit) and is an act of self-love :)

3) Literally use up what's in the fridge and rebuild your roster of foods from scratch. Staples such as fry light, passata, fruit and free unflavoured yogurts are your first port of call!

4) Keep a food diary (i use a daily planner) and write down everything you eat. to make it easier, snap a photo of your food (and water intake - get at least 2L per day) for accountability and so u can just write up once a day.

5) Most bad food choices happen when you've no food made or available in the house. Plan meals ahead of time. you should know what's for dinner the night before! sit down with your food optimising book(s) or head to PinchOfNom and note 3-5 breakfast, lunch and dinners you'd like to eat. Your aim is to build up a roster of meals you can create so you can go on 'autopilot'. focus on NEW RECIPES!

6) Batch cook meals! eg italian chicken and tomato soup. add baby potatoes? that's a full, filling lunch for 3 days a week. Make the healthy choice the lazy choice (its already made) and the urgent choice (it'll go off if u don't!)

7) Syns are at a maximum 15, but you should aim for 10 syns/day. Spend your syns improving your meals rather than snacks.

8) When you do have snacks, eat fruit or other free foods beforehand. You won't get filling power from chocolate/biscuits and its so easy to splurge and go over syns.

9) Plan your syns - they should be part of your day, not an unexpected treat. That way you can enjoy them having earned it, not sneaking and binging because you're holding certain foods hostage. Don't deny yourself any foods, but portion-control them. work it into your week (build a syn deficit to blow in one go).

10) more existentially, who you were doesn't define who you are. A bad meal doesn't mean a bad day, or a bad week. 3,000 bad meal choices doesn't mean the next 3,000 will be bad. You can always pull it back.

anyway I've blathered enough! i hope some of that is useful, I'm talking to myself as much as to you. You only have to look after one day (today) and there's no situation you can't come back from. kick some ass this week!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    OK! a lot of things you said hit me deep. I've got some points to think about:

1) You CAN sort this out now. You NEED to sort this out now. If you don't, you'll rejoin in 2020 with 6 STONE to lose.
    (This should light a fire under your ass!)

kick some ass this week!

Thank you so much, some fantastic tips in there. Your first point really hit home.

I rejoined back in July and have been up and down like a yoyo, my last weigh in was 06/10 and I was a pound heavier than when I rejoined! I was on a countdown and still didn't go the last few weeks!

I really need to get my act together.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the time you took to write such a details post.

Any time Shelli :) i was in a taxi and the aul lad was trying to lose weight as well, so I was telling him about Slimming World. The bit that made him think was that - healthy food does not mean weight-loss food. Restaurants and shops just want food that tastes good, they don't care how many cals are in it! A salad in itself is healthy; but nuts and dressing make a SW choice into a whirlwind of syns (not to mention the triple serving of parmesan/croutons you get with creamy Caesar salad)

He was eating oatmeal for breakkie, which is great! But eating 200g of oats with 200ml full-fat milk isn't. He thought he'd do away with the fruit (because of the sugar content) and lamp the oats out of it. So a healthy choice can sneakily be a high-calorie weight-sabotaging choice.

Anywoo it made me think, thought I'd share :)

I was down 5lb at yesterday's weigh.
    Thrilled is an understatement!!

Thanks you again for your pep talk, it helped more than you could know.
    X

I was down 5lb at yesterday's weigh. Thrilled is an understatement!! Thank you again for your pep talk, it helped more than you could know. X

Woww, that's almost half a stone! Congrats! Speaks volumes of your dedication. Plus SW only deal in half pounds so it's probably a little more than that :D

How is the bank holiday weekend/Halloween looking for ya?

Good so far, thanks.

Had an outing yesterday for dinner, i picked Nandos as I know I can enjoy a low syn meal there. Cinema afterwards but didn't bother with food at all there....this one was hard but I just kept telling myself that junk food in the cinema is just habit and doesn't affect the enjoyment of the film. Then we went for a few drinks but again stuck with low syn option and didn't go overboard.

Tomorrow will be spent prepping for the week. I find once I take the time to do that I can get through the week fairly well. I find structured days easier, and I'm working overtime in the evenings too so less time for boredom eating at home. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I'm baaaaaaaaack! So after 2 weeks of eating and drinking in Bali I was up 3lbs at my weigh in yesterday....I'll take that!
    I've been back on plan since last Friday.

• Advertisement

Am very impressed by Areas only putting on 3lbs over a two week holiday! Congratulations, you must have an iron will.

I was delighted to find that I've lost another 2lbs so am down half a stone in total. God willing and the creek don't rise, I should be on target for losing a stone by Christmas.

That list of advice from jaykhunter is so useful. I definitely thought I was making healthy eating choices when I was trying to lose weight by myself, but in hindsight I was always lashing on salad dressings etc. Even now, following the plan, I have a tendency to throw in an extra ingredient just to improve the taste of whatever I'm having and then find out that I have sabotaged myself again. Examples would be a handful of sunflower seeds in my porridge or a few olives into a pasta sauce. Suddenly my free or low-syn meal has become a syn-fest. Am learning to check EVERYTHING before deviating from the SW recipes.

I don't have an iron will, far from it, one day I drank 23 bottles of cider, over about 10 hours (my birthday). But that was an exception. Every other day was just breakfast and dinner. and I walked everywhere. I was averaging about 20,000 steps so I think that managed to counteract some of the food and cocktails I was having!

Well done pulling it back after your birthday! My worst habit is going off plan and telling myself that 'just one more day of boldness' won't matter.....all of a sudden it's a month later and I'm up a stone!!

@ areas well done hope you enjoyed Bali

Valyawl wrote: »
    @ areas well done hope you enjoyed Bali

I loved it Val! And the food was nice, loads of rice and chicken so it wasn't that difficult to stay on plan, even though I wasn't actively staying on plan.

I discovered some new fruit as well that I'm going to have to try and source here. Jac fruit was so tasty!

That is brilliant Areas, I did a weeks holiday and gained 4.5 so doing 2 weeks at 3lbs is really good!

Congrats Scribbler on your half stone! Where did u put your award? :) I'm glad the list helped u out. It's so sneaky how foods u'd expect to be free/healthy are actually synned! Or how similarly-named items can have really different syn values (I'm thinking of Tesco sausages)

Great news! After -0.5 last week I dropped 4lbs and got my 5 stone award! Relieved more than anything as my body's been doing this "let's just lose weight every other week" thing. But super happy! I'd been eyeballing a poppy vienna loaf since last week and promised I'd wolf it if I got my award :D
    here's a pic of me with it!

• Advertisement

That is brilliant Areas, I did a weeks holiday and gained 4.5 so doing 2 weeks at 3lbs is really good!

Congrats Scribbler on your half stone! Where did u put your award? :) I'm glad the list helped u out. It's so sneaky how foods u'd expect to be free/healthy are actually synned! Or how similarly-named items can have really different syn values (I'm thinking of Tesco sausages)

Great news! After -0.5 last week I dropped 4lbs and got my 5 stone award! Relieved more than anything as my body's been doing this "let's just lose weight every other week" thing. But super happy! I'd been eyeballing a poppy vienna loaf since last week and promised I'd wolf it if I got my award :D

Well done on your 5 stone award!!!!! That award has evaded me so far but I'm still going!!! Having a good week so far. Going to Killarney for a few days but I'm going to do lots of walking and leave my cards at home so I can't go drinking.

Hi all, just want to come here and say thanks for the motivation. I'm doing sw online and read this thread for tips and tricks. I've a 9 month old and have lost 19lb in 16 weeks (baby weight is gone, just have 2 other stone to lose) I wanted to get to 20/21lb by mid October and then this week because 20 is 10% loss and 21 is 1.5 st. I didn't. I was disappointed. I've been breastfeeding but have mostly stopped now so need to remember that.

I'll hopefully get to it by mid November and thanks to your post Jay I realised getting there a month late is better than never getting there or worse going back up.

Over synned badly yesterday when I got home in the evening. I was so tired and when food was offered in my mam's I just took it and then my son handed me loads of his Halloween haul!!!

I'm reining it back into today and not letting the blip turn into another downward spiral!

Hope you all managed ok with all the Halloween goodies floating around!

Fantastic achievement there, jaykhunter! A well deserved poppy vienna loaf! It really is inspiring to read how well the folk on here have done/are doing. It helps me stay focused, whatever wobbles may occur along the way.

Like you, Shelli, I found Halloween challenging. We had fewer callers than usual so I had a surfeit of treat sized Crunchies, Mars Bars, etc., all whispering my name. We had two treats each last night (8 syns total, not too much damage) but that was on top of my planned syn allowance of a large glass of wine :(. Plus now of course the sugar craving is back. The only way I can steer clear is not to have chocolate, biscuits and synful treats in the house, so this morning my husband brought the lot into work to leave in the kitchen.

Back on track from today!

I had the vomiting bug yesterday so no Halloween treats crossed my lips

• Advertisement

That's awful, Whelan2, you have my sympathy. You'll doubtless be down a pound or two, but that's searching for the silver lining to a very unpleasant experience. Hope you're feeling better.

Everyone in work has brought in the stuff they're trying to get out of the house.....the office is overflowing with chocolate and sweets......no doubt that will just bleed into boxes of christmas sweets and there'll be no escaping it till New Year!!!

Not that I have always followed it, but my simple rule is 'Do not bring it into the house or it will be eaten'. There is no point fooling myself the treat-sized tasties are (just) for little Hallowe'en beasts, or the biscuits are for visitors.

Do not let naughty things past the door!

Joined end of November last year. On track for my three stone, possibly by end November, but for sure by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Congrats man! Well deserved and well earned!

Everyone in work has brought in the stuff they're trying to get out of the house

Bastards! :D My SW consultant is looking for leftover Halloween sweets to donate to Drogheda Cares for the Homeless; maybe other SW groups do that as well? Fantastic way to get sweets out of the presses!

Had a cheat meal to celebrate 5 stone, white bread wasn't nearly as lovely as my brain remembers it. Like it's thick and heavy... black and white pudding felt, I dunno, boring? Maybe it's just having it for literally decades now. Jumbo paprika/honey sausages though, hooo my they are amazing! Might need to add them to the rare treat rotation -- Keep your fizzy sweets i want jumbo sausages :D

Is there anything u haven't had in a while since starting SW that's not nearly as good as you remember?

I used to love my dad's spag bol.....well Dolmio spag bol :D
    Can't stand it now, or any jar of pasta sauce for that matter.

And full fat coke, I couldn't drink that now if you paid me. Other non diet drinks too, but coke in particular, it's like tar.

Golden Bowl!! We treat ourselves to a take away / cheat day each week and the last while we just couldn't be bothered.. As much as it smells delicious. It's just not worth it..

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Golden Bowl!! We treat ourselves to a take away / cheat day each week and the last while we just couldn't be bothered.. As much as it smells delicious. It's just not worth it..
    Are you in Drogheda? The kitchen in Dunleer do a sw menu , I have it once a week , very worth it

Are you in Drogheda? The kitchen in Dunleer do a sw menu , I have it once a week , very worth it

So do Ming Garden..but meh,id rather do my own rice and Mayflower or mushy pea curry! It's something I'd use to miss but not anymore for sure.

Lashes28 could you please post your curry pea recipie? Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement