Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-mushy-pea-curry/

This is what I used but didn't have honey so didn't put it in..
    And use whatever veg I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Up 1/2lb on Saturday, disapointed is an understatement, left group telling myself it would show next week, just keep going......then proceeded to completely self sabotage from Saturday night until this lunch time.
    I am my own worst enemy.

I have to shake this tendancy, I've identified it, but yet I keep doing it over and over again.

I'm on damage limitation for the rest of the week.....and I feel like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Don't despair, Shelli! Half a pound up is only a smidgeon, I know it's so disheartening when you see it on the scales, but have another read through jaykhunter's post from October 24th, don't beat yourself up, give yourself a clean slate and start afresh from today.

It isn't easy but so many of us are fighting the same fight and we all have our struggles. I hadn't realised quite how partial I am to a glass or two of wine with my dinner 3-4 times a week and I'm not talking about 125ml glasses either. Have had to cut back big time and now measure carefully, but once I've had a glass it's so easy to say "Ah sure feck it, another small glass won't hurt!" and then my syns are all over the place.

At the weekend, I made a simple 2 column list, column A is just a list of dates, day by day, and column B shows my total syns for each day. I really need to reduce those totals. I found it very helpful to have that overview, I can see where I have sabotaged my own progress and hopefully it will help me to keep the average down per week and per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I re-read jaykhunter's post of the 24th there to give myself a boost. I've had a few tough weeks with holidays and weekends away. I stay on plan all week and then go mad at the weekend. This weekend I've a prosecco brunch with a few friends. I'm bringing the car so I won't drink but the brunch menu is a mine field! I've decided on the steak and eggs. The eggs on the menu are fried but I'm going to ask for them poached. I'll get the sauce on the side and not touch it and I'll give the chips to someone sitting far away from me!

Since last March I've gained a stone but I've been going to class the whole time. I feel like I'm holding on to my (net) 4 stone loss by my fingertips these past few weeks.

I'm overwhelmed by the thoughts of a wedding in 3 weeks and work Christmas party in 5 weeks and then Christmas itself in a few weeks.....

I'm trying to search for where my mindset was this time last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Areas wrote: »
    I re-read jaykhunter's post of the 24th there to give myself a boost. I've had a few tough weeks with holidays and weekends away. I stay on plan all week and then go mad at the weekend. This weekend I've a prosecco brunch with a few friends. I'm bringing the car so I won't drink but the brunch menu is a mine field! I've decided on the steak and eggs. The eggs on the menu are fried but I'm going to ask for them poached. I'll get the sauce on the side and not touch it and I'll give the chips to someone sitting far away from me!

Since last March I've gained a stone but I've been going to class the whole time. I feel like I'm holding on to my (net) 4 stone loss by my fingertips these past few weeks.

I'm overwhelmed by the thoughts of a wedding in 3 weeks and work Christmas party in 5 weeks and then Christmas itself in a few weeks.....

I'm trying to search for where my mindset was this time last year!

You've had a busy period lately and Xmas being around the corner too can be daunting. These events will happen and there's little point in avoiding them. What I'd suggest is just keep focusing on the bits in between as much as possible. It'll balance out with the friend/family/Xmas events. You may not lose much because of it, but you'll certainly negate any damage they can do.

One bad day can't ruin 6 day's worth of being on-plan, and being on-plan shouldn't ruin social events for you. Enjoy the events (without going overly mad for the sake of, just enjoy them as you normally would) and focus on making up for them diet-wise in the large gaps between events.

Your positive and motivational mindset will find you again once you survive the busy periods and see the scales start to tip downwards again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Up 1/2lb on Saturday, disapointed is an understatement, left group telling myself it would show next week, [...] I'm on damage limitation for the rest of the week.....and I feel like crap.

You'll sort out half a pound next week Shelli! It's in the past, just work on today :) I've a couple of ideas:

1) Meal prep! Seriously, it both sorts out dinner for a few days, and makes the healthy choice the lazy choice :D Chilli is tasty (even better the next day) and hearty, perfect awful-weather food. SW Italian chicken and tomato soup is lovely, and adding baby potatoes it's now a completely meal :)

2) Try fakeaways - replicate a healthier version of your favourite cheat meals. I love(d) the smokestack burger from Eddie Rocket's but since I have SW burgers semi-regularly it really cuts down the cravings.

3) What do you order from the takeaway? Perhaps we could tweak the order so it's less syns/maybe even be on plan!

4) Schedule in cheat meals so you've something to work towards, so you can feel good about eating right because you want to enjoy going off-plan!

Keep kicking ass! You're doing this for you, and you're stronger than you think.

Great advice Penn! Areas - Seeing friends, weddings, parties and holidays should be a happy occasion! Proud of you with the forethought you've given the prosecco brunch :) That's a winning mentality - your head is in the game - you will succeed.

Agreed with Penn to look after the days in between events, it's the everyday choices that'll determine how we do. Something I've taken on board recently - eat something healthy before eating a treat. If u eat treats for satiety you'll smash through syns so quickly! But eat an apple before than chocolate biscuit, 1 or 2 biccies might be enough!

You can and you will! You've done it before and you'll do it again. Being net 4 stone down is a huge accomplishment. Tomorrow morning is a fresh slate, another chance to come out swinging!

Good news! Got the Mr Slinky award at this week's weigh-in :D to be fair it was a fix, I'm the only guy in class!

Weigh in isn't until this evening but I'm happy enough going to it. Ended up missing the prosecco brunch! I had to go to Dublin with my sister instead. On Saturday night I had 4 vodkas and diet 7up which isn't bad considering it was a free bar!

For the hotel breakfast the next morning I had fruit, natural yoghurt, scrambled egg, bacon, beans and wholemeal bread. I resisted the sausages, black pudding (my favourite) and the fried egg. And of course all of the yummy pastries.

Last night when I came home I was starving after the drive home, but I made my air fryer chips and had 2 poached eggs so I was delighted with myself that I didn't go for the bread or cheese etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

What do we all think about the changes announced today?

- An extra Healthy Extra A allowance
    - Peas and beans no longer considered protein
    - Light Philadelphia and other soft cheeses no longer being considered a Healthy Extra A
    - No second Healthy Extra B if you're doing SP

I'll be honest, it's sort of annoyed me. (Probably because it's a Monday and I'm annoyed I'll have to syn my work-day light Philadelphia on toast for breakfast). The announcement talks about how it's due to new nutritional information. Really? Has the protein content of beans changed recently? I don't do SP but I'd say people who do it will really miss the second Healthy Extra B.

I'll be continuing on as I am. The plan as it stands has been working for me and this changing of Healthy Extras is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

ally_pally wrote: »

- Light Philadelphia and other soft cheeses no longer being considered a Healthy Extra A

I'll be honest, it's sort of annoyed me. (Probably because it's a Monday and I'm annoyed I'll have to syn my work-day light Philadelphia on toast for breakfast). The announcement talks about how it's due to new nutritional information. Really? Has the protein content of beans changed recently? I don't do SP but I'd say people who do it will really miss the second Healthy Extra B.

I'll be continuing on as I am. The plan as it stands has been working for me and this changing of Healthy Extras is a bit much.

Hi ally_pally, I do sw online, where are these details/updates do you know? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hi ally_pally, I do sw online, where are these details/updates do you know? Thanks

Hi.. These changes aren’t being brought in until the new year, everyone will be getting a new book over the Christmas period (to encourage people to weigh in!) and there will be a downloadable part for people that do it online.
    Slimming World released it now before it was leaked on one of the many Facebook pages -as consultants were informed about these changes in the last week or two.

I saw it on some Instagram pages I follow. These changes seem much bigger than the syn changes to muller lights a while back. There was uproar in my group over that. There’ll be a full blown riot now! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

I'm kinda annoyed. I used to love the 2 healthy extra b choices on an SP day. Generally would have 1 for brekkie and one later on at night, usually 2 alpen light bars with a cuppa. Don't eat a lot of dairy either so the second healthy extra a is no real benefit....

Only 10 syns on SP too. Can’t see how SP would be all that manageable now although I never managed it for more than a couple of days.

It also makes me wonder about being told to measure your milk for your tea and coffee as you could easily go over and it could threaten your weight loss. Good advice. But now you can actually have a whole other serving of milk and it’s suddenly fine?

It feels like a fairly big change to a plan that was working if followed. I don’t get it to be honest.

• Advertisement

Giving you more HeA but then removing HeA choices is a bit of a kick in the knackers. I generally syn my cheese and save my HeA for milk so it's not a huge impact but it's frustrating to take away things that people rely on. It was a bit annoying to have to syn flavoured yogurts but I'm sure we'll adapt and overcome!

I'm also annoyed about the peas/beans but hopefully it'll just become free, and not get synned.

SP seems quite complicated already and this ensures I won't give it a go until I've exhausted the regular plan & exercise! Going from 15 to 10 syns is quite drastic.

I'm surprised it got out with 6 weeks before Xmas (these are 2019 plans). So it's a bit it a holding pattern/impending doom until it 'goes live'.

However it's a good day for home-made pizzas - I no longer will have to choose between cheese topping and milk in my coffee!

Last night I was down 4 pounds!!! I'm delighted. And....I got Ms Slinky in my group for 2018. I was so shocked!!!! Like actually shocked.
    It's given me such a boost to keep myself going for Christmas and for 2019 as well to get my target!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fantastic work, Areas! :D

Well done Areas, very well deserved!

Congrats Areas, that's fantastic! Wonderful to be recognised by your peers like that. Hooray!!

• Advertisement

Was in class this morning! Just to clarify a couple of points from the news leak:

- the revamped plan will take effect in January
    - "regular" aka Extra Easy Slimming World will be 2 x HeA and 1 x HeB! (i.e. double your HeA)
    - the trade off is that some soft cheeses will not be HeA anymore (definitely Philly Light; laughing cow and others have not been specified yet)
    - Unroasted, unsweetened almond milk used to be 1L for HeA; now is 400ml for HeA
    - Baked Beans and most peas will no longer be "P" protein, but they'll still be free foods
    - SP Days are really getting the shaft: 2 x HeA and 1 x HeB (so same as regular SW) but reducing 15 syns to 10.
    With the above, Baked beans and most peas are now out during SP days.

Personally, it sucks that it leaked to the newspapers as they focused on the worst aspects with hyperbolic and somewhat untrue headlines (eg "syns slashed" as a headline, but sure, "double your dairy!" isn't clickbaity.) I'm sure SW counselors would've LOVED to break the news about a second HEA themselves and focus on what we *can* have, which is the point of SW!

Even though I hate having to adapt to change (I just got into Slow Cooker rice pudding using Almond milk!) 2 HeA's mean that I can have TWO SW Pizzas and not have to forgo coffee! Double the cheese/milk will be amazing.

We survived having our muller lights synned, we'll adapt and thrive!

Congrats to Jaykhunter on his Mr Sleek and to Areas on 4lbs down and Ms Slinky for your group for 2018!! All the triumphs on here keep me going! I have reined in my sins but was only down one pound last week and half a pound the week before. It does get a bit wearing when you feel that virtue isn't being rewarded, but I guess it's just the syns of Halloween and the odd extra glass of wine in the previous weeks catching up with me.

I'm still barely a month into the plan so I hadn't really worked out all the food values, proteins etc for a weekly routine. To be honest I always thought that SP looked very daunting, even with the old allowances, I wasn't brave enough to try it.

Am still picking up great tips from reading this thread, pre-planning food at home so the lazy option is the healthy one, checking out the menu before eating out so that you won't be caught on the hop, leaving the cards at home and/or taking the car so that the extra glass of wine isn't an option, eating something healthy before indulging in syns or before going out for a meal, all great ideas, thanks.

With Christmas looming, I'll bear in mind that the odd bit of excess won't undo the good work from all the other days and I'll try and take each day as it comes. Staying on plan “just for today” is less overwhelming than thinking about all the challenges over the Christmas period.

Aw thanks Scribbler! are there many guys in your group? I'm the only one in mine, there's two more in the evening group.

hey 1 lb is still a fantastic loss. That's 3500 calories burned. that's as if the week was 9 days long and you didn't eat for TWO OF EM!
    Our bodies will do what they want, we just gotta stay on plan and now it's Slimming World's fault :D

I haven't ever done an SP day, it seems super fiddly so unless your losses stalls for a few weeks, i wouldn't bother. seems extremely prohibative and is set to get even tighter.

Glad you were able to get some use out of me blathering on! It's these little tips that really help, and u won't find in the handbook but with other members. How's this week looking for you?

also i dunno if you've tried, but pan boxty (McNiffe's) is really great - satisfies my carb lust at 1.5 syns for half the packet. it's potato, salt and flour but it's quite healthy and fried, is wonderful. next time you're in the butchers have a look! (Dublin Meat Co stock it too)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Hi,

Joined back last week. Any ideas on vegy/ chicken/ turkey dinners please? Also, do you use all your syns every day?

Thanks

Had that pinch of nom lasagne tonight, with the white sauce made from yogurt egg and mustard powder..was so delicious and such comfort food in this crappy weather.

I've had small losses the last couple of weeks but I'm at the gym most days and can feel it more in my clothes so not too worried about numbers as such.

Got out the winter coat and last year I had to wear a scarf as it wouldnt zip up on me and this year it zips up comfortably.. absolutely delighted with myself.

Total loss is 1stone 2lbs

OH has 2st 5 lb off him.. so proud of him he usually sticks at nothing!

Lashes28 congrats on the non-scale victory! Must be so satisfying as you know EXACTLY how those clothes used to fit :)
    linpoo wrote: »
    Hi, Joined back last week. Any ideas on vegy/ chicken/ turkey dinners please? Also, do you use all your syns every day? Thanks

Welcome back! Claire's chicken 'kiev' I'm loving at the moment: chicken breast fillet, 1 laughing cow extra light triangle. Mush up spinach with some water and add in some garlic and the cheese, stuff it into the chicken, and cover with 2-3 medallions (with the fat cut off ofc). Tastes amazing! 1 syn too :) Serve with free food eg rice or SW chips and veg.

I use about 10 syns per day. I'm a guy so I get 25, but I keep it under 15 to be fair to the girls, lol. I highly recommend aiming for 10, because 15 is a hard limit -- a max allowance, rather than a goal. Also a lot of girls in my class sometimes don't count or don't know how to syn certain things, so inevitably they go over their 15. I use my syns at breakkie or dessert, lunch and dinner meals are generally close to free.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Lashes28 congrats on the non-scale victory! Must be so satisfying as you know EXACTLY how those clothes used to fit :)

Welcome back! Claire's chicken 'kiev' I'm loving at the moment: chicken breast fillet, 1 laughing cow extra light triangle. Mush up spinach with some water and add in some garlic and the cheese, stuff it into the chicken, and cover with 2-3 medallions (with the fat cut off ofc). Tastes amazing! 1 syn too :) Serve with free food eg rice or SW chips and veg.

I use about 10 syns per day. I'm a guy so I get 25, but I keep it under 15 to be fair to the girls, lol. I highly recommend aiming for 10, because 15 is a hard limit -- a max allowance, rather than a goal. Also a lot of girls in my class sometimes don't count or don't know how to syn certain things, so inevitably they go over their 15. I use my syns at breakkie or dessert, lunch and dinner meals are generally close to free.

That kiev sounds lovely il defo try that. Il have to get a few recipes together and get organised.

Had a long hard think about my habits lately, and I'm going to try going back to basics, to what worked on my first cycle of SW when things were going really well.

I used to keep my Hex A & B and syns for the evening - savoury snacking is my weakness, so ryvita and cheese triangles and a bag of popcorn gets me through the munchies, and having no sysns during the day ensured I finished each day well under syn limit.

Going back to eggs muffins loaded with speed for breakfast with a spoon of beans, satisfies my winter hot breakfast craving.
    Lunch - back to basics of left overs from dinner the night before - simple and less time consuming
    Dinners - simple hassle free, speed loaded recipies - spah bol, stir fries, taco fries, chilli, curries etc.

Not having temptations in the house, walking to the shop for my popcorn, and will try to start squeezing in the couchto5k programme again.

I'd love a stone off by Xmas. and then we've booked a little trip away to Germany for February, without the kids, a couple of nights alone and then meeting up with friends. It's the first trip away alone in a very long time. I'd love to be able to feel good about myself again, wear something nice out and not hide from the camera. It's something good to focus on and aim for.

Sheli..me too. I was using my syns,one or two here and there and some evening when I actually add them up I'm going way over. So as you said back to basics.

Just see meat company have skinny sauces that are zero calories.. anyone know the syns?

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Sheli..me too. I was using my syns,one or two here and there and some evening when I actually add them up I'm going way over. So as you said back to basics.

Just see meat company have skinny sauces that are zero calories.. anyone know the syns?
    Oh they are free.. might try the garlic one out tomorrow

• Advertisement

Hope everyone is having a good week! I'm trying to do what jakhunter was saying and not seeing 15 syns a day as something I should be aiming for as in waking up in the morning and calculating how I was going to use up every last syn!
    Going through my food diary for last week I mainly used my syns on ketchup in the morning, sweet chilli sauce for my salad at lunch and a sw bar and a coffee on my tea break. I've beeing coming in at about 10/11 syns a day.
    I'm never hungry and since I've became focused again I'm thinking less about food, I'm not being POOR ME AND MY DIET WAAAAH.
    I had a while there where I was feeling sorry for myself. So this week, I started to wear my nice dresses in to work which didn't fit me before to remind myself of how amazing I'm looking and to feel better about myself and it worked!
    I've started another pile of clothes that are too big for me which is also making me feel great! over the past 18 months I've spent a fortune on replacing my wardrobe completely, twice! But you know what, I'm worth it!

Am down 1.5 lbs this week, really happy with that! 3,500 calories per pound is good to know, it gives a positive perspective for when the weight loss slows down. Like others here I find it so encouraging when clothes start fitting better. A jacket I bought for "when I lose a few pounds" now fits comfortably.

Hats off to Lashes and your other half on your total weight loss, you have certainly found your mojo again in the last week! You and Shelli have posted some excellent suggestions there. My husband is unwilling to commit to following the plan, but is benefitting from the healthier regime in the house and losing some weight. We only have 3 guys in our group and only one regularly stays for the meeting.

Tried Claire's Kievs last night, jaykhunter, absolutely delicious. As a poultry suggestion, Linpoo, I would strongly recommend SW Turkey burgers, will try to link to the recipe below. It includes grated courgettes to keep the burgers moist, which sounded odd to me but works really well. My very fussy son loved the burgers and didn't even notice the smuggled veggies!

Edit: Not sure that the link works, but search the Slimming World website recipes for Turkey Burgers and it's the first on the list.

https://group.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/low-fat-turkey-burgers.aspx?loggedin=true

Great to hear you're flying it Areas! My consultant suggests counting syns down from 15 rather than up as a new perspective! i thought it was really clever. just as a small thing, have u tried fat/sugar free chef ketchup? it's 0.25 syns per tbsp (!!) amd tastes great. seriously game changer for me. i get it in tesco https://tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=300793644 . That's wonderful about your wardrobe and wearing your nice new dresses at work. keep kicking ass!

lovely loss there Scribbler, well done :) Glad you enjoyed Claire's Kiev! i've just texted her about it, she'll be chuffed. That must be so satisfying fitting into a jacket much more comfortably now. Thanks for the link to the turkey burgers! and hilarious you sneaked in those veggies proving he's just a fussy fusspot! I've been trying turkey burgers recently and they're much lighter than beef, which is weird, but also a lot easier to deal with walking around afterwards.

just a reminder to always check your labels! found out this morning the bagels i bought last week werent my regular slims (HeB) but an 11.5 syn behemoth!
    check it out: https://i.imgur.com/gBxNrdWh.jpg
    So last week i consumed like, 30 more syns than usual (if i can count half a slice as HeB!). The regret is real! oh well. Automation/routine is the key but fluffed it last week! This ever happen to you guys?

Yes!! Was so unprepared for lunch yesterday so grabbed slimsters thinking they were HEB..
    They were 5 syns so I had to forfeit my crunchie treat last night...boo!!

Another alternative for ketchup...I pop passata into the pot and a couple of teaspoons of Cajun seasoning and leave it on really low for a while.. let it cool and stick it in the fridge. I put it on everything salads, chips etc
    There's a bit of a kick to it and it's actually speed!

I'll have to either get that chef ketchup or the passata idea. Save myself a few syns.
    I came home last night and my mom had prepared a burger for me. She thought she was doing so good because they were steak burgers, but they were frozen ones from Aldi and they came out at 5 syns each. I know it doesn't sound like much but it's pretty high when I usually eat the SW burgers from Iceland. I just ate one and left the other one, the doggies will probably get to eat it today.
    I'll have to do an Iceland run this weekend and just stock up on a pack or 2 of burgers and the microwavable rice. I find the rice very handy to have in the freezer.

I made slow cooker pulled pork burgers a while ago. Everyone else had brioche buns, I had what I thought was a HeB wholemeal bun. Checked the syns afterwards (great timing), the brioche would have been one syn less!! It's so easy to do.

Ally pally, have you ever made yourself a burger in a bowl? My god it's delicious and so so filling!
    Basically a salad with with a burger but you feel like you're being so bold with it!
    In mine I have lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, gherkins, grated cheese (hexA) and I syn my sweet chilli sauce and mayo. I cut up 2 free SW burgers from Iceland and have it with a coke zero or club orange zero.
    I swear it's nicer than any take away ever.
    If it's on a Saturday night I might make some air fryer chips as well.
    I'll be so full after it but without the sickness if I had gone and ate the same quantity of food from a chipper.
    Tomorrow nigh I'm making the Asian barbecue chiken from the book that i got when I bought the 12 week countdown. Again, I'll have it with air fryer chips.
    Another new thing we tried out in our house was the "irish slow cooked hoisin pork fillet" from Aldi (blue packaging). 5 syns for the whole lot and there are 4 portions. My sister and mom have made the decision to have it as part of our weekly dinner list now. There's also a "slow cooked bbq pork fillet" (blue and red label) which is 4.5 syns for the whole lot.
    Both are in the chilled meat sections.
    My consultant said that she makes them, has whatever for dinner and the rest she puts in her salad the next day.
    Honestly the hoisin pork was exactly the taste of ribs. So so juicy!!!

Sounds lovely Areas, must try it.

I’ve had a few weeks of maintaining or being up a half pound, then down a half pound. 2.5 loss today though which I’m delighted with. 2.5 pounds to target now which I’d love to get in the next two weeks.

It's good to hear that I am not the only one who makes the mistake of eating something thinking it is plan-friendly and realise too late that it was a disaster. My worst one so far was not finding B Free Sweet Potato or Quinoa and Chia Seed Wraps (4.5 – 5 syns) in the supermarket and just grabbing Fitzgeralds Multigrain instead, 10 syns before you even fill them! Jaykhunter, you can take solace from the fact that 30 extra syns in the week isn't bad at all if you normally consume 10 syns per day, way less than the allowance for men.

I will definitely be buying in the sugar and fat free Chef Ketchup, or trying Lashes' Passata and Cajun substitute, not only syn free but speed sounds like a real boost to the burgers.

Areas suggestion of the Aldi Hoisin Pork Fillet is a winner! Went down a storm here. I would occasionally buy the BBQ Spare Ribs from the chill cabinet in Aldi or Lidl and my son and husband absolutely love it. The Hoisin Slow Cooked Pork Fillet is a fraction of the syns and they both agreed that it was better than the ribs. I'm not a huge pork fan but I enjoyed every morsel of this.

Congrats, Ally Pally on your 2.5lbs weight loss! That shows such self-discipline, especially after hovering around the same weight for a few weeks. With that kind of resolve, your target is very close!

• Advertisement

Weigh in this evening!
    Delighted with how I went over the weekend. I got a long walk with the dogs in on Saturday and did some cleaning to get some body magic in.
    Yesterday (Sunday) I was at a fundraiser. I ate a big dinner before I went at 11am! I made the Asian chicken from the new one pot recipes book that i got with my 12 week countdown. It was soooo tasty and only 1 syn per portion.
    At the fundraiser I was surrounded by sweets and cheese and salami and crisps and pizza but I didn't put one single thing in my mouth!
    I stopped off at Iceland on the way home to do some shopping and I bought a packet of ham and a curly wurly and ate those on the way home.
    When I got home I had the rest of the Asian chicken I had made. For dessert I had natural yoghurt with some frozen pineapple chunks.
    The day could have been a complete write off with all the food that was in front of me but instead I ended the day on 14 syns!

I didn't make it to class last week, Saturday, as I was away with work.
    I've drawn a line in the metaphorical sand, refused all invitations on Sunday and spend the day getting myself, my kitchen and my fridge in order.
    Feel much better being prepared for the week ahead!

I'm thinking a tasty veg loaded chicken curry this evening, something quick to warm the bones....tis cold out there folks!

Well done Shelli2 for making that decision to get yourself sorted!
    It would have been so easy to not do that and go in to another week feeling frazzled.

I was down 2 pounds last night and I got slimmer of the week. Delighted with myself.

This weekend I'm going to whiskey live so I made out a plan with my consultant about how I'm going to face the whole thing.

So before I'm going to stay on plan, go to Nandos for dinner since I know the syn values and they're easily found online. Then for the tasting I'm not going to deprive myself.

But afterwards I'm not going to go to a greasy burger place with my friends. I'm going to be strong and resist it and then back on plan the next day.

I think this is the best way to protest myself and hopefully not have a gain at my next weigh in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Does anyone use Air Fryer for their chips? Any recommendations of a good one?

Dunnes have one half price on Friday - http://www.dunnesstores.com/tower-4.3l-digital-air-fryer/black-friday/dunnesstores/fcp-product/4830122

Dunnes have one half price on Friday - http://www.dunnesstores.com/tower-4.3l-digital-air-fryer/black-friday/dunnesstores/fcp-product/4830122

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-AL806040-ActiFry-Low-Fryer/dp/B00ABBR7GI

I've had this one for about 5 or 6 years now (maybe even longer) and I use it at least once a week to make potato or sweet potato chips. I know the price is a bit much but it's still perfect after all these years.

There should be a lot of deals in currys, DID etc over the next week with black Friday sales.

I have tried every brand of airfryer going, and I time and time again I go back to the Tefal Actifry, nothing else comes close.

We use it close to every day in our house. I cook my chips in it, sausages, small roast spuds, spiced veg - it can do sauces and curries too.

The kids use the new basket attacement for their fish fingers and other stuff too.

It's well worth the price.

• Advertisement

4lb down this week... I'm just delighted and so surprised, I'd only been to the gym once last week so felt so sluggish!

Went shopping today and for food.. so proud I ended up having subway salad instead of burger king..
    I hope this new found willpower lasts over the Xmas festivities

I presume a lot of ye in groups received this from your consultant on facebook groups but I'll post it anyways. I printed it out and I've taped it to my computer screen at work.

This time of the year weight loss may seem so much harder- maybe you’re thinking it’s impossible!

With Christmas parties, shopping trips, Christmas Day and New Years it can be very easy to say I’ll leave Slimming World and start again in January.

I’d love you to take a few minutes and think about what you want in January. Sometimes this time of year is more about protecting your weight loss than losing more. Break it down into meals- how many meals can you have on plan instead of looking at it as a busy month where you can’t lose weight. We know the average gain Christmas week is between 10lbs-14lbs if you were to stop food optimising. That’s one week.

Imagine what could happen if you were to stop coming now until January. Give yourself the best possible chance. We will help you put plans in place week in week out in group to help you along your journey. You can absolutely do this ���� xxx

There was also this.. The negative thinking: No way I'll lose weight this month. I have 4 organised Christmas partied plus the odd unorganised one. Plus Christmas & Boxing Day.

The positive thinking: December has 31 days, minus my 4 parties, 2 dinners, 4 extras. Looks like it's all down to my 21 on plan days whether I can keep on trying or give up.

I went shopping last night to look for Christmas party clothes and I bought a few items thinking ah yeah they'll do. When I tried them on at home I was amazed at the person looking back at me!

Using the mirror I've been looking at myself at all these months, well it was showing me someone else's body that i didn't even recognise!

That's given my enough motivation to stay on track this weekend with my visit to Dublin!

Congrats Areas that's brilliant! Takes forever for your brain to catch up with your body. Mine's slowly coming around. It's weird, sometimes I'm super happy with how I'm looking and other times I'm scolding how fat I am. Any tips on how to speed up/get my brain to come around?
    Shelli2 wrote: »
    I have tried every brand of airfryer going, and I time and time again I go back to the Tefal Actifry, nothing else comes close.

Thanks for the recommendation, looking at a 1L one it's £240 on Amazon, is that the general price, and is it good for 1-2 people?
    Areas wrote: »
    December has 31 days, minus my 4 parties, 2 dinners, 4 extras. Looks like it's all down to my 21 on plan days whether I can keep on trying or give up.

That's a brilliant attitude. Penn's definitely right to worry about the in-between days and not the big nights out. It's the everyday choices that'll get us! I've budgeted 5lbs gain over Xmas, so it's motivating me to eat healthy now :)

Brilliant result Lashes, 4lbs is a serious drop! Congrats to Areas too on the "New You" in the mirror. To help the brain catch up and register one's new reflection I find it useful to look at the size or waistband on clothes that used to fit and compare it with what currently fits. The other one is to compare older pics with more recent photos, somehow I can see the difference more objectively in a photo rather than the mirror.

On Shelli's recommendation I too was browsing the Tefal Air Fryers on Amazon, the thought of proper chips! I feel like Homer Simpson contemplating pork chops, Mmmmmmmm. Jaykhunter, £240 seems like a lot to pay. On clicking through some of the Tefal models, I came across this:

Tefal GH840B40 ActiFry Plus Air Fryer, 1.2 kg, in grey reduce to £99.99.

It might not be the lastest model, but it has 75% five star reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BHW1KQW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B078QT1288&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=8e5be0e3-b258-4b06-8b6e-695b24f935a4&pd_rd_wg=NUQOq&pf_rd_r=VFJTJXFWKXJJDMGWQ8Z7&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=qg3gI&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=6f9dee8c-ef0b-11e8-8b45-e766818ee237&th=1

It seems to be out of stock at the moment, but in the left column they say they'll deliver it when it becomes available. Am very tempted at that price, my only worry would be that it might NOT become available again. Does anyone have any experience of this on Amazon? Would they not just state "discontinued" or remove it from the listing if it wasn't going to come back into stock?

• Advertisement
Advertisement