Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I have the white version of this:
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4878647/Trail/searchtext>Actifry.htm

It easily holds enough chips for 3 extra large portions or 4 smaller ones. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shelli2 wrote: »
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4878647/Trail/searchtext>Actifry.html

Fixed link

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4878647/Trail/searchtext>Actifry.htm

I can't seem to get that link working, Shelli, it keeps returning "Product not found", perhaps they have run out? Maybe you could type in the name of the model you have? It sounds ideal.

Just tried searching for Tefal Air Fryer on Google (rather than on Amazon as I did earlier) and there appear to be some pretty good deals on the Littlewoods Ireland site. The original Tefal model is reduced to €104.99.

Edited to add: Thanks Penn, hadn't seen your fix!

Went into Aldi this morning intending to get something diet-friendly for the dinner, came out with this, reduced to €99.99. Delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Saw this posted on the SW subreddit by ongobay, love how SW is summarised (when asked about the plan by a former Keto dieter, and what if u eat under 5 syns/day):
    Ex Saw consultant here. Less than 5 syns won’t be an issue as in such, however studies have shown that by not having “treats” then we won’t stick to the plan long term - it’s true for any eating plan. If we feel restricted then at some point we’ll give up. The plan has been sectioned for men to have upto 500 (300 for woman) calories a day of “treats”. The majority of SW members following the plan 100% will end up having around 1200 - 1800 calories on average each day (depending male / female & starting weight)

Essentially SW gets us to focus on the healthy foods first, and if we’re following the plan 100% with the adequate amount of speed free foods (lowest calorie / highest filling foods) then we’ll run on a high enough calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Throw yourself into the plan & just know it’s all been calculated so we get the right nutrition without worrying about counting etc.

Staying to group helps too as it gives the continued motivation which is key.

Best of luck this week folks!

I haven't made group for 3 weeks now due to work commitments.

I had two disastrous weeks during which I know I had a massive gain, but really pulled it back last week and weighed myself on Saturday and was the same as my last group weigh in, so I was happy with that. Looking for a good loss this week to get me back on track.

I'm missing my long walks badly, with the weather and work I haven't been getting out at all.

After gaining a lot earlier this year I packed up my wardrobe into vacuum bags, separated by size, and vowed not to buy anything new. I have been living in two pairs of jeans in a size 16 for the last few months, and I'm pushing now to be able to dump them and break out the bag of size 14s before Xmas. Another 4 or 5 lbs should do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,857 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Down 1.5lbs. Got my stone award.

Scribbler100 sweet buy! Let us know how u get on with the new airfryer :)

That's brilliant Shelli2 you pulled it back, going extra hardcore and coming out like nothing happened :D Getting a size down before Xmas must be a great feeling! Plus you'll remember how they used to fit. Great stuff. Will u do anything to replace the long walks, gym maybe? Not ideal but jaysus it's torrential outside! Plus with the holidays they'll be nearly empty :P

I lost 3.5lbs! I've been in a funk these last few weeks, like maintain, down 0.5 etc so it's nice to pass the 75lb lost mark and get a new award!

6PoOkT7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I’m sort of ashamed to admit it but I think I’ve given up going to group. I always would have said I got so much out of it and I didn’t stop going intentionally. But I had a week where my daughter was ill, then we were away, then something else came up. And now it’s 6 weeks since I’ve been and I’m still sticking to plan and doing well. Only a pound to go to my target!

My target is definitely something I could work on and being down more. I’m sure many people’s starting weight would be lower than my target. But Christmas is coming and then I’m going on a 3.5 week holiday. I’m still going to follow the plan as much as possible then but I do plan on letting loose just a little bit and I’ll look at lowering my target by maybe another stone at the start of February.

So basically you’re all my group now!! 😄

Awww! If you're doing well on the plan by yourself, then you don't need group. It's there for motivation, support, accountability, bit of craic and recipe ideas. If u have all those then sure, try it by yourself (you'll be doing that when at target most of the time :) ) If ya start gaining for a few weeks then it'd be time to go again, but until then (without sounding too dramatic) you've got SW inside you!

If it's just a temp target, just keep going, but it is good to have a number, or practical goal (like a size dress) to aim for. You're doing great! So kick some butt this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I'm going to a wedding this weekend and it's one of those 3 day ones!
    From group I got little tips such as, don't have bread with the soup.
    Don't have alcohol until after the dinner.
    Just little things that will add up to when I go to my weigh in on Monday.
    I'm going an SP week this week and usually when I do it, even a day or 2 in I immediately feel less bloated but this time I'm feeling like a balloon. I'm going to stick with it anyways and hopefully it will counteract some of what I'll do over the weekend.
    I had a full day of being away yesterday (traipsing around Ikea for half the day) and felt great when I broke out my salad instead of going for whatever they had there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Sorry there are probably a million messages like this but I am joining next week and a bit nervous. I have tried low gi, the 5-2 diet, and calorie counting/gym. My downfall is pints... I am great during the week but once the weekend comes I love to go for a few pints on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully I can lose and not sacrifice my social life! I am starting at the worse possible time lol but maybe it will help me have a good responsible christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

never_mind wrote: »
    Sorry there are probably a million messages like this but I am joining next week and a bit nervous. I have tried low gi, the 5-2 diet, and calorie counting/gym. My downfall is pints... I am great during the week but once the weekend comes I love to go for a few pints on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully I can lose and not sacrifice my social life! I am starting at the worse possible time lol but maybe it will help me have a good responsible christmas.

Good on you for making the decision to join. SW is a great plan and means you'll be eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

That said, its not magic and you're going to have to address the pints issue. SW doesnt advocate abstance or totally ruining your social life, but you will need to make changes.

Sinking pinks is really calorific and delivers basically no nutritional benefit, so in SW its going to be high in syns. That said, SW is all about about making better choices. There will be lists of what syns are in what beers etc. Also choosing bottles over pints is a way of portion control.

If you really want to drink on SW, clear spirits with zero calorie mixers will get you the most for your syns. Gin and slimline tonic or vodka with soda water or 7up free.

Thanks, Sozboz, it is definitely something I need to address because it probably isn't helping me.

I don't know if I want to know what I weigh (bit scared!!) is there any way I can ask the trainer to keep this from me? Ha! Also, I'll be wearing my clothes and shoes so I'm sure it's not 100% anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks, Sozboz, it is definitely something I need to address because it probably isn't helping me.

I don't know if I want to know what I weigh (bit scared!!) is there any way I can ask the trainer to keep this from me? Ha! Also, I'll be wearing my clothes and shoes so I'm sure it's not 100% anyway.

You take your shoes off (wear/bring socks)
    normal clothes don't account for more than 1 or 2 lbs. The weighin will be pretty accurate. That said, it also doesnt really matter - its the consistency thats important - you'll be weighing every week at the same time, always wearing clothes, so its the difference from week to week that matters.

If I were you I wouldnt drink at all in week one. Follow the plan as much as you can so that you get the best result you can - the loss will motivate you for the weeks ahead.

Great thinking Sozboz about the drinking but I have a Christmas party of some shape or form every weekend between now and Jan... Hopefully food wise I will do better and will stick to gin if I decide to drink!

Looking forward to getting started.

Well done, Ally Pally, managing to stay on plan and progress without having to attend group. I couldn't resist showing up for the weigh-in where I achieved my target :D. That said, this thread does feel very much like an actual group with lots of support and advice to be had on strategies, recipes etc.

Welcome never_mind! Any time you feel ready to start is a good time. I started on October 10th and despite the odd fall from grace, have lost 13.5lbs to date. The SW plan works really well and with a bit of planning you need never be hungry.

With Christmas coming, there is lots of information and support in group and online around which foods/drinks are massively calorific and which ones would be more plan-friendly. The main thing is you will be able to make informed choices one way or the other.

SozBbz has given some great advice above. Regarding alcohol, I have had to cut back my consumption, NOT rule it out. When the weight starts coming off, you will feel encouraged to pause and actively decide whether you want another pint more than you want to be down a couple of pounds next week. The odd slip won't undo all your good work, but sticking to the plan will yield good results more quickly. You can take it at your own pace, but you'll be moving in the right direction.

Pints and wine are a killer for calories unfortunately. SW allows for lots of flexibility and treats so I’m sure you’ll find lower calorie / syn options. The pints are a habit at the moment and you’ll develop lots of new and healthier habits at SW.

I absolutely know what you mean about not wanting to know your weight. I was the same. But I actually think you should find out as it can be a great motivator. I thought I knew my weight when I joined. I was actually half a stone heavier than I thought. It made me realise just how out of control my weight had gotten and it gave me SUCH motivation to fix it and never get back to that weight again. Don’t mind your clothes and shoes - I fooled myself for long enough putting a bad result on the scales down to clothes and the like. It’s nonsense. Your clothes don’t weigh that much and the scales there will be accurate.

It’s honestly a great plan and I’m sure you’ll do great. As for joining now, look at it this way. If you can be motivated and stick to the plan with temptation all around at Christmas then you can do it any time. And you’ll be facing into the new year lighter, motivated and in control.

Ah man, pints absolute destroy weight loss! I'm 6 days strictly on plan + 1 night boozing = maintain at best :D

Consider ordering gin and sparkling water (I don't trust bartenders to know/have diet tonic water) but damn, Gin is awful. Meant I barely drank! But doing a mixer, alcohol + mixer, mixer, alcohol + mixer pacing yourself works well - if you scrimp on syns earlier in the day you could have 4 alcoholic drinks and still be on plan! I do rum and diet coke.

Great on ya never_mind for joining SW before Xmas, it'll really, really help out getting you in the right direction before the gorging happens all around you!

• Advertisement

Well done for making the decision to join before Christmas!
    This group is fantastic for support and motivation!

Areas wrote: »
    Well done for making the decision to join before Christmas!
    This group is fantastic for support and motivation!

Thanks! Last night we ended up 'trying' a no-chocolate night and froze grapes with that jelly powder. Jesus Christ... I think this is going to suit me!! I had like 10 of them and was loving life. I also found recipes for syn free carrot cake and scones... How am I only doing this now!?

I just need to cop on with the aul pints. I am probably 14.5-15 stone (man) and am 5 10 so I would love to lose 3 stone or so. Nothing huge but you know how long it takes for us who love our grup!

The longer you do this and the more tips you pick up, the easier it will be to make different choices. I know a few of the en in my group go for the rockshore pints. I think it's lower in syns.

Hope you guys and gals are doing alright this week! Been carrying around this piece of advice ever since Penn said it in another thread (i'm paraphrasing) re: the buckets of chocolates floating about in work:

If those treats aren't SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU, don't have any. They're not for you!
    If they are, have one, thank whomever got them for ya, and 'save more for later' (and re-gift to some other hapless fecker) :pac:

This happened to me yesterday, with Xmas platters of fried finger foods plonked in front of me, and mountains of candy wrappers building up on each table. They weren't for me, so I waited until I got home and smashed SW chilli chips out of it!
    Stay strong!

lKCYcpd.jpg
    ??? syns vs 0 syns (1/2 HeA)!

Fair play to you jay. That’s some iron willpower there. Great advice though and I’ll be remembering it over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^

objectively speaking the platter on the left looks gross, all that brown food. At work there is always someone that goes out of their way to make sure you get a slice of whatever is going, i just wrap them up, leave it on the desk for a while and dump it in the bin later. today i was at a work lunch, unfortunately the menu item i wanted was called a "sin free salad" it was a nice salad with grilled chicken and roasted peppers and of course that generated some comments because i wasnt eating something heavier.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Ya it was a big platter of greasy regret :pac bread isn't supposed to be shiny! I love how there's like 6 leaves plonked in the middle to say "hey we're being healthy"

Silverharp that must be so annoying! What business is your plate of everyone else's!! Do you have any go-to phrases for declining/deflecting empty-syn food/treats?

"Nah I just ate" or "I might take some home later if that's ok?" are my go-to's

What's the recipe you used for the chicken?! It looks amazing!!!
    I didn't make my weigh in yesterday. It's the first one I've missed in close to 2 years.
    I was at a wedding at the weekend and after a 3 and a half hour drive home I couldn't keep my eyes open.
    I'm back on plan today and would love to see a loss on the scales next Monday.
    Yummy homemade hummus and carrot sticks in my lunchbox for my tea break!

Oh lads.....i've lost the run of myself....AGAIN :(

I just can't keep the motivation going, i feel like i'm on a constant loop - 1 week amazing...1 week of sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Ya it was a big platter of greasy regret :pac bread isn't supposed to be shiny! I love how there's like 6 leaves plonked in the middle to say "hey we're being healthy"

Silverharp that must be so annoying! What business is your plate of everyone else's!! Do you have any go-to phrases for declining/deflecting empty-syn food/treats?

"Nah I just ate" or "I might take some home later if that's ok?" are my go-to's

just politely decline, If I get the mrs doyle treatment, accept and bin later. I just had a thought that out of divilment for the last week, I'd leave some open bowls of sweets on my table as cover :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

A man in his 40s went full 5 year old the last day in the tea room.
    I was happy out eating my yummy hummus and he went "ewwwwww that looks so gross. These chocolates are so yummy mmmmmmmmm".
    I was stunned because he knows well that I've been doing slimming world.
    I didn't know wether to laugh or not.

• Advertisement

I was happy out eating my yummy hummus and he went "ewwwwww that looks so gross. These chocolates are so yummy mmmmmmmmm".

I'm so annoyed on your behalf Areas. Was he trying to sabotage you, or make you feel bad for the good choices you make? Sure let him, he sounds like a feckin' eejit. :rolleyes:

He really is. I wasn't impressed. And our tea room is always full of goodies (chocolates and cakes and biscuits) and 99% of the time I resist so I'm not sure what reaction he was looking for.

Went for my first meeting!! Was absolutely grand! Looking forward to next week.

LOL wow! Never mind that adult toddler, he'll be a bloody *stone* heavier in a month! Change scares people, bettering yourself scares others. Makes them self-reflect, and if they don't like what they see, they lash out. Your weight loss affects people around you -- even if you're just minding your own business! But guess what, everyone here is proud of you :) you're doing great!

Oh lads.....i've lost the run of myself....AGAIN :( I just can't keep the motivation going, i feel like i'm on a constant loop - 1 week amazing...1 week of sh*t.

Sorry to hear it :( maybe you're going too hard on your weeks 'on'? If you could do two weeks of "good" might be a starting point!

I got engaged yesterday! Something major to aim for now, ha!
    I'm going to enjoy the celebrations though and just be as good as I can inbetween until the New Year. Then I really have to get my act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Jaykhunter you're doing great, well done. Your posts really motivate me.

I'd expect that from a 10 year old. That's actually shocking. People are so odd. Jaykhunter is right, change does scare people. I follow the DalyDish on istagram and she's lost 3 stone since mid July. She said anyone can do it. Totally right. That concept scares some people. They see others losing weight and wonder why they can't. It's also possiblly jealousy.
    I'm going to enjoy the celebrations though and just be as good as I can inbetween until the New Year. Then I really have to get my act together.
    Congratulations :) that is a great goal. Enjoy the bubbly. Its an amazing time. Just expect a lot of 'have you set a date' questions straight away :pac:

I lost 1lb this week. I've finished breastfeeding so expect my weight loss to slow. If I lose another 2lb before the end of the year I'll be happy. I do sw online and wasn't going to sign up for another 3 months, said I'd do it myself but I'm back to work in January and said I'll be tired and what not so I'm going to sign up for another 3months to keep me going. The support here is better but I like the app and the online diaries. I've lost 22lb, goal is 42lb so just over half way.

Congrats!!!!! Enjoy this magical time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Huge congrats, Shelli! That's fantastic news. Absolutely enjoy the celebrations, some things are far more important than diet and you've more than earned it with the work you've put in so far anyway. Celebrate the hell out of it!

Aw, congrats Shelli! What great news!!!!

Just wondering does anyone else do daily weigh ins at home?

• Advertisement

Aw, congrats Shelli! What great news!!!!

Just wondering does anyone else do daily weigh ins at home?
    I weigh in at home because I do sw online. My day to weigh in is Thursday. Some weeks I weigh before to see how I'm doing. I have stoped because it was detrimental to my week if by Tuesday I haven't lost anything. So personally I have stopped but it's what works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Congrats to yourself and your luck partner

Dreading my weigh in tonight, I've been off the rails since last Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Posting here for some support. Been an on/off SW member for years. Back since Oct and at my healthiest weight in years so really want to keep that momentum going as I have more to lose.

I'm really worried about staying on track over Christmas, I'm doing fine so far but finding it hard to resist the temptation. Christmas is always a trigger for me.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Posting here for some support. Been an on/off SW member for years. Back since Oct and at my healthiest weight in years so really want to keep that momentum going as I have more to lose.

I'm really worried about staying on track over Christmas, I'm doing fine so far but finding it hard to resist the temptation. Christmas is always a trigger for me.

I'm similar. I've lost 1.5st, half way to target but the last week has been tough (I've a 10month old daughter who screeches VERY LOUDLY. Which I find quite stressful when I'm out. I've gone to food and chocolates for help.) I was pregnant this time last year and didn't have mulled wine and I love it so had some Saturday and feel I've been slipping since.

I also feel Christmas food and Christmas eating is starting way earlier this year. It's just everywhere. :/

Bit the bullet and went to my weigh in. 2.5lbs gain but my group were so supportive. We laughed a lot about what I had ate over the past few days and how sick I was of sugar and that I just wanted to eat carrots for the week!
    So back on plan again today. I even don't want to drink at my Christmas party on Friday. I had so much drink at a wedding 2 weeks ago that it put me in an awful mood for a week.
    Went back to the gym last night as well after a few days off and I loved my workout, I always do though. My trainer is fantastic.
    So anyways, here's hoping for a good loss next Monday night!

Hadn't checked in on the thread for a few days so I had missed your wonderful news, Shelli! Many congratulations! Having such a big day to look forward to can really help with keeping the long term SW goal in mind. I'd been hoping to have lost a stone by Christmas and planned to lose another before my mother's 80th birthday in February. I was spurred on by the thought of all those family photographs featuring short spherical me surrounded by tall slim siblings!

However, like many others here I am already struggling with the Christmas festivities! I am still half a pound away from losing my first stone. The initial half stone dropped off in two weeks, but six weeks later I haven't managed to lose the other half! Haven't gone up at all (yet), but losing tiny amounts per week or just maintaining weight is a pain when you feel you're trying.

I went back through my food diary and the evidence is there. In general I have been sticking to the plan but there have been a couple of Christmas outings where I went WAY over my allowance. It doesn't matter how well I have managed for 6 days if on the 7th I eat and/or drink enough to bring my average daily syns up to 18+ for the week. No wonder I'm not making great progress. On the other hand, if I wasn't following the plan on the in-between days, I would be doing serious damage.

Seeing that others are also finding Christmas temptations a challenge gives me a sense of solidarity. Your example in getting back on track is admirable Areas. I have been re-reading your post #998 to get my mindset right again for the next couple of weeks. Have tried really hard this week, lots of syn-free and speed foods and have got a bit of walking in. Am fervently hoping to get my stone cert later today.

1st week done and down 5lbs. I was a bit shocked at it tbh because I went out and drank three nights in that week- didn't go mad mad but def wasn't counting! Not expecting the same next week but going to stick to the plan and hopefully I see some loss. But dumbfounded because I've had nights where I ate my syns in chocolate and crisps!!!

On plan yesterday and ended the day on 4 syns! Had a yummy steak for dinner with potatoes, carrots, onions and mayflower southern gravy. Delish!!!!
    At tea break today I had a bassests chewy sweet (1 syn) and a cadbury chocolate finger (1.5 syn). All written down in to my food diary so I'm not kidding myself!

• Advertisement

Well done never_mind! That initial weight loss provides a good boost to the resolve. It's easier to stay within your syn allowance when you've seen the results. I have had to adjust my drinking - a glass of wine is too easy to refill and two pints puts me well over my max 15 syns. Plus I found myself partaking of garlic prawns and chips once the pints had melted my resistance :o. Have been following Jaykhunter's advice and drinking spirits with a zero calorie mixer, it's a great strategy.

Went to group earlier, am 3lbs down and got my stone award at last!

Great self discipline yesterday, Areas, delicious food, a couple of treats and only 4 syns! If I didn't track everything in the diary I reckon I'd be guessing wildly and underestimating my syns like mad.

Advertisement