Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Started with Slimming World today.

Weighing in at 14st 6lbs, hoping to drop to 12st which is pretty do-able I feel.

The diet starts tomorrow :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Absolutely do-able. The plan works, follow it and you will have that off in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Ended yesterday on 9 syns. I'm being more careful this week than usual as I have my Christmas party tomorrow night.

I'm going to enjoy my dinner (skipping the bread at the soup), but I'll have the dessert.

I've resolved that I'm going to bring my car so I won't drink. For me I'd prefer to have 2 more good weigh ins before Christmas and enjoy a few drinks with my family over the holidays instead of having drinks with work people tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Areas wrote: »
    Ended yesterday on 9 syns. I'm being more careful this week than usual as I have my Christmas party tomorrow night.

I'm going to enjoy my dinner (skipping the bread at the soup), but I'll have the dessert.

I've resolved that I'm going to bring my car so I won't drink. For me I'd prefer to have 2 more good weigh ins before Christmas and enjoy a few drinks with my family over the holidays instead of having drinks with work people tomorrow.

Good thinking! I'm so jealous of people who are on the wagon!

I've a few social things on on the next few weeks and I've identified some of them that I'm definitely going to drive to and not drink. Its all about priorities and damage limitation, whilst not totally depriving yourself.

Drink is a gateway drug to food!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

SozBbz wrote: »

Drink is a gateway drug to food!

:D This made me laugh out loud! It is so true for me. The slimline mixers and every second drink being a mixer on it's own has really made a difference. Am going to try some of the SW recipes for Christmas goodies. If anyone has any recommendations, please post them.

• Advertisement

Scribbler, I've made the SW strawberry cheesecake a few times. I made it last Christmas for my dessert Christmas day and my entire family shunned the usual sherry trifle and usual deserts to eat mine instead!

I was down 3 pounds last night, absolutely delighted! Then I came home and ate 4 tunnocks teacakes, my ultimate weakness! But look, back on it again today and with all the bits going on this week I'll be very happy with a maintain at my weigh in next week!
    Hope everyone is going well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Just catching up, well done everyone for sticking to plan and getting such good results......i'm doing my best to be good where I can and just limit the damage!

I'm not buying loads of Xmas goodies into the house, but there are so many nights out and celebrations planned that I'm not missing them at all really.

My fiance (wooooo!! :D) is joining me in SW after Xmas and it will be nice to have that support. He's very good and supportive at home anyway, but it will definately help that he will come to group too.

First weigh-in tomorrow.

Have learned a lot in the last week, on day one straight after putting my porridge in the microwave I reached for the sweet press, then closed it and kind of laughed to myself :D That hasn't happened since, little to no temptation. Most of my syns have come in the form of sauces and the odd dash of milk.

Two things I was hugely guilty of were toast and butter at night and getting a coffee and sometimes a chocolate bar for the way home from work. That has stopped and as a result my pocket is way heavier, can't remember when I bought something at all last.

Would be happy losing a pound tomorrow although people have told me not to be surprised if I drop 2 or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

First weigh-in tomorrow.

Have learned a lot in the last week, on day one straight after putting my porridge in the microwave I reached for the sweet press, then closed it and kind of laughed to myself :D That hasn't happened since, little to no temptation. Most of my syns have come in the form of sauces and the odd dash of milk.

Two things I was hugely guilty of were toast and butter at night and getting a coffee and sometimes a chocolate bar for the way home from work. That has stopped and as a result my pocket is way heavier, can't remember when I bought something at all last.

Would be happy losing a pound tomorrow although people have told me not to be surprised if I drop 2 or more.

You might have dropped a lot more than you think! Be proud of yourself for going :)

I’m just after doing weigh in 3 and lost 1.5lbs - that’s 6.5 in total but a bit upset with it and don’t know why. I’ve lost half a stone in 2 weeks or so but I was so strict all week I thought I’d have a little more off than that :( even if t was 2 even I’d have been happier

• Advertisement

2.5lbs, yurt.

Thanks for the Strawberry Cheesecake suggestion, Areas. Am heading out now to get the ingredients and give it a trial run so I don't make a hames of it on Christmas Day, (that's my excuse anyway ;)). You are really flying it at the moment. After losing 3lbs your teacakes were well deserved. You have the rest of the week to even out the syns and stay within your allowance.

Congrats Advanced Ghost, 2 slices of toast and butter used to be my regular breakfast. I was shocked when I started counting up the syns, particularly as 1 level teaspoon of butter would barely cover a quarter of a slice! Your new habits are paying off.

Don't be disheartened, Never-mind, we have all been there, you think you've been on-track and then are disappointed by the scales, but you DID lose a pound and a half so you're still closer to your goal. Just one pound lost per week will amount to more than 3.5 stone over the year.

Two other things I have found, if I drop 2-3 lbs in a week, the loss seems to slow down for the next week or two, as if the body readjusts before the next decent drop. Also, you get away with NOTHING. Some weeks I have overindulged and yet it doesn't show up on the scales. The following week however, it will come back to haunt me even though I have stuck to the plan. Just because the extra syns didn't register straight away, they didn't melt away into nothing. I find it incredibly useful to track everything I eat/drink and try to keep my weekly average below 15 syns daily. You have done brilliantly to lose as much as you have in so few weeks!

Down 1.5lbs myself this week, pleased with that but am going to push the walking over the next few days. One more weigh-in before Christmas, I'dlike to be even a smidgeon down for that.

Fantastic piece there Scibbler! Sometimes a small weight loss can be disheartening but a group i follow posted this. For 2019 you can have these losses:

0.5llb per week = 1st 12lbs
    1lb per week = 3st 10lbs
    1.5lbs per week = 5st 8lbs
    2lbs per week = 7st 6lbs
    2.5lbs per week = 9st 4lbs

Makes me look very differently at being sad about 1lb a week!!! If I did that every week for the year I'd be at my target before next Christmas!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Shelli2 wrote: »
    My fiance (wooooo!! :D) is joining me in SW after Xmas and it will be nice to have that support. He's very good and supportive at home anyway, but it will definately help that he will come to group too.

Congrats Shelli on the engagement! And having him do SW as well will guarantee both of your success! :D

2.5 lbs is great dude! And congrats on breaking some pre-programmed habits already (like reaching for the sweets press!). Re: coffee and choc after work, just to throw it out there, a large skinny cappuccino is free (using your HEA) and HiFi bars/Alpen light bars are 3 syns each and a great use of syns (1 bar counts as speed, and 2 bars are your HEB!)

Two other things I have found, if I drop 2-3 lbs in a week, the loss seems to slow down for the next week or two, as if the body readjusts before the next decent drop. Also, you get away with NOTHING. Some weeks I have overindulged and yet it doesn't show up on the scales. The following week however, it will come back to haunt me even though I have stuck to the plan. Just because the extra syns didn't register straight away, they didn't melt away into nothing.

Congrats on the 1.5 loss! Walking is brilliant for clearing the head and general well being :) it's so demoralising how little calories it burns though, I was checking the cals and like, 2 biscuits is worth 2 km! C'mon! Ha ha. I just won't have the biscuits!

That's great advice at looking at weight loss as a long term picture; staying on plan or over-indulging won't always register until the following week.

Areas wrote: »
    For 2019 you can have these losses:
    0.5llb per week = 1st 12lbs
    1lb per week = 3st 10lbs
    1.5lbs per week = 5st 8lbs
    2lbs per week = 7st 6lbs
    2.5lbs per week = 9st 4lbs
    Makes me look very differently at being sad about 1lb a week!!! If I did that every week for the year I'd be at my target before next Christmas!!!

Great stuff Areas! 3 lbs is a huge loss, that's almost a quarter stone! Well deserved cakes :) To follow on from your great post about how to look at small losses adding up; as a generality:
    1lb = 3500 calories
    So 3lb = 10,500 calories!
    That is the equivalent of 8 DAYS OF FOOD!
    (weight loss intake of calories is about 1,200 for a woman)

Think about that, you took in OVER 10,000 CALORIES less than what you needed to maintain. Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Down 6lbs today, could not believe it. That's with my Christmas party on Friday and me knocking back drink like it was going out of fashion. I allowed myself the night of the party off plan but I was straight back into it for the rest of the week. Delighted with that result and hoping I can stay focused for the week ahead.

Well done eviltwin that's amazing! Lovely Xmas present!

Down 0.5 this week, 1lb away from 6 stone! Half a pound doesn't sound impressive but I'd a holiday where I ate fried churros, pizza and drank! I was able to stay on plan for breakfast and 5 days of the week so I'm happy to see any kind of loss!

Been mega difficult being bombarded with "Eat! It's Christmas!" everywhere so I batch-cooked SW Italian chicken and tomato soup (add baby potatoes and it's a complete meal!) but it hasn't satisfied my tayto lust. The multipacks are 25g and 6.5 syn but the meal deal ones are 35g and 10 syn (so worse synnage!)

Hope you're all doing better than I am, and if not, hope you're enjoying splurging!

I was up 2lbs this week and I'm expecting more next Sunday at my weigh in, but I'm OK with that as it's Christmas. Back in the saddle on the 2nd January and really want to be target in 2019. Hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Years!

Thanks Areas and Jaykhunter for those stats. Some of those figures are very encouraging, some of them would break your heart! 2 km of walking for 2 biscuits :eek:! To be honest, I don't allow myself extra syns when I have been doing the walks, I just tend to use it to support the plan.

I think I'm going to follow Areas' example and allow myself a bit of flexibility over the next couple of days, but keep a general tally so I don't undo all my progress. Well done Jay on being so close to your 6 stone award. It seems like no time since you achieved 5 and a half. Eviltwin, I am stunned at that loss! Congratulations, that gives you a great safety net for keeping any Christmas gains to a minimum. Everyone seems to be doing well. I was down another pound and a half yesterday, but my weight loss is now in clear and present danger...

My husband has just arrived home with bags of swag, including fabulous cheese, Bailey's whipped cream for Irish coffees and 4 x 125g bags of crisps :(. Each bag contains 30 syns so even a share in them will be excessive. I think it was Spurious who posted after Halloween saying to keep the goodies out of the house if you don't want to eat them! I will have to cultivate a will of iron! (Can't see that happening!)

Good luck to everyone here and have a Happy Christmas!

Full on Christmas here, I'm not going to deprive myself this week. We cracked open the alcohol and mince pies last night and I made a conscious decision not to feel guilty. It's probably going to result in a gain but you have to live your life don't you? It would be a miserable existence if everything revolved around syns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Slightly off topic,
    I'm looking for advice on fitness bands/trackers if any of you can help! I'm not looking for anything too techy, just the usual stuff but I want one that I can set reminders to drink water & get up from my desk to walk around. Any recommendations?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

eviltwin wrote: »
    Full on Christmas here, I'm not going to deprive myself this week. We cracked open the alcohol and mince pies last night and I made a conscious decision not to feel guilty. It's probably going to result in a gain but you have to live your life don't you? It would be a miserable existence if everything revolved around syns.

I saw somewhere...'It's not the few pounds on between Christmas and New Year you should be thinking about, but all the pounds off between New Year and Christmas'.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

spurious wrote: »
    I saw somewhere...'It's not the few pounds on between Christmas and New Year you should be thinking about, but all the pounds off between New Year and Christmas'.

I like this thought.

I went home to my family that I haven't seen in ages and just went full on with what I wanted. Absolutely no regrets. Last thing I wanted was to be like oh no can't have that. Sure it'll be a few pounds of a gain at weigh in but who really cares, I've a whole year now to lose weight again :)

I enjoyed myself, had fun with family and Ive set up an Instgram page to keep me motivated for the next year. I'm a few days early but here's to an awesome 2019 for us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

Slightly off topic,
    I'm looking for advice on fitness bands/trackers if any of you can help! I'm not looking for anything too techy, just the usual stuff but I want one that I can set reminders to drink water & get up from my desk to walk around. Any recommendations?

I have a garmin vivosmart 3 used to have an older version of the same model so basically just upgraded when the old one broke.

It's a pretty basic fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor and monitors sleep, does step counting and you can set it to let it know what specific exercise you're doing e.g. cardio or weight. It has a function that it will vibrate when you've been stationary too long to tell you to get up and move but nothing to remind you to drink water... the app is simple to navigate too. I've never had a fitbit so can't really comment on whether they're any good or not....

Link to my tracker is below:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/567813

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Rejoining tomorrow. Have had success doing it at home in the past but foot surgery followed by pregnancy has me back up again.

Can anyone tell me how much the magazine is at class? Contemplating a subscription with the Christmas money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

seriously need to rejoin....completely lost the run of myself in December!!!

Any joining offers?
    Thanks a mil :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

Back tomorrow myself. There was a voucher in today's paper but also in Woman or Chat magazine.

Hi everyone.

I've not done SW properly for a while now but am thinking of trying again.

I've heard recently about changes to the hex A allowances - like that you can now have 2 a day.

Is there any catch to this? anything you have to forgo?

The last major change I was aware of was the great muller light fiasco from a few months ago (which didnt bother me as I never ate them anyway) but I'd like to understand the logic behind this update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Millem wrote: »
    seriously need to rejoin....completely lost the run of myself in December!!!

Any joining offers?
    Thanks a mil :)

Also this weeks Bella magazine has a joining offer

• Advertisement

And I'm back again......absolutely terrible Christmas, ate everything around me, total emotional eating and lost the run of myself again. I really need to get help controlling the emotional triggers, any time something bad happens I fall into the same trap.

I'm rejoining on Saturday and am feeling pretty positive at the moment.
    I would very much like to address the triggers in advance though, and learn to avoid the pitfalls.

PS: there was an etsy store with personalised milk botttles and food diaries etc - all SW friendly items - does anyone know it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

https://www.aldi.ie/ambiano-2-in-1-air-fryer/p/087875263587900

What's the likelihood of this being any use? Only would be using it for chips tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

Went back this morning and was the same weight as the last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago).
    Delighted with myself lol

Going back to group tonight after a three month break. I'm expecting to be at least a stone & a half over target... I'm looking forward to getting back on plan & not feeling sihte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Weighed in this morning after a 2 week break. 11lb gain. Quite upset about that. Ate what I wanted but thought I wasn't as bad as before so shocked and upset. But onwards and downwards.

I'm back on track. Hopefully next week will be better.

Weighed in this morning after a 2 week break. 11lb gain. Quite upset about that. Ate what I wanted but thought I wasn't as bad as before so shocked and upset. But onwards and downwards.

I'm back on track. Hopefully next week will be better.

If it was that quick on it will be quick off. Stick to plan & you can look forward to a good loss next week :)

• Advertisement

I've 4 stone to lose this year, and I'm so determined to do it.

I find find thread a great support, you're all so positive and helpful.

I read this yesterday and it struck a cord:
    - Losing weight is difficult
    - Being fat is difficult
    Choose your difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

If it was that quick on it will be quick off. Stick to plan & you can look forward to a good loss next week :)
    Thanks, you're right. I'm feeling less upset about it now. I've a cold so feeling miserable and that number didn't help.
    I've 4 stone to lose this year, and I'm so determined to do it.
    I find find thread a great support, you're all so positive and helpful.
    I agree it's a great thread.
    I'veI read this yesterday and it struck a cord:
    - Losing weight is difficult
    - Being fat is difficult
    Choose your difficult
    That's a great perspective. Thanks.

I do sw online, has anyone got any info on the changes? How are they being communicated to online users?

Thanks

The ones that stick out to me are baked beans are free but no longer a protein. And you get two HEA’s a day instead of one. There are adjustments to quantities too. Philadelphia no longer a HEA, almond milk reduced in amount etc

Also my leader said if not a dairy eater aim to eat foods with the C symbol with every meal if struggling to get two HEA’s in

Has there also been a reduction in syns?

The ones that stick out to me are baked beans are free but no longer a protein. And you get two HEA’s a day instead of one. There are adjustments to quantities too. Philadelphia no longer a HEA, almond milk reduced in amount etc

Also my leader said if not a dairy eater aim to eat foods with the C symbol with every meal if struggling to get two HEA’s in

I LOVE cheese so I'm delighted with the extra HexA!

• Advertisement

Going back to group tonight after a three month break. I'm expecting to be at least a stone & a half over target... I'm looking forward to getting back on plan & not feeling sihte

I'm up 13lb since the end of Sept.
    Thsts on top of the gain from the summer...

Only 20.5lbs up in total - I'm not sure which would be better, a laughing face or a crying face emoji!!

I bought a 12 week countdown so I can't backtrack now!!

Dinner done, ginger and soy pork and it was delicious, 10 syns for the whole pot and that’s fed four adults and a kid so definitely staying on the menu.

Today has been good, baked potato plus toppings for lunch and it really kept me full. Weighed out the minstrels to kill the sugar withdrawal deadacje and stuck to Coke Zero for cravings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Still lurking and reading but completely fell off the wagon. I have not rejoined as of yet but made my first step today . I had my first walk in months and just bought 2 pairs of runners ( one to keep at work) I know SW works and to be honest I feel like crap having put on a good bit of what I lost. So watch this space I'll be back . Fair play to you all and here's to 2019 being our year! Val

Jinxed myself. Not an hour later cravings kicked badly. Did a meringue nest with apple and melon. Hoping that sorts it. This time of the evening is the hardest for me

Morning all, this is my 3rd day backon plan (so really only 2 full days done), but i'm already feeling better and less bloated.
    I think my body was crying out for healthy food after the last couple of months. :P

I'm going back to class tomorrow, and I've no doubt that I'll weigh in at my heaviest ever. But I'm not going to let it get me down, I'm just going to get on with it this time.

Anyone else rejoining/starting this week?

Jinxed myself. Not an hour later cravings kicked badly. Did a meringue nest with apple and melon. Hoping that sorts it. This time of the evening is the hardest for me

When I get late night cravings I find brushing my teeth helps get rid of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Night time is my downfall. I could have a great day but come 9 or 10pm when the house quitens, I'm demented looking for a treat.

Went back yesterday after two weeks off plan and I'd gained 10lbs. I'm surprisingly okay with it, I had a lovely Christmas with lots of socialising and I threw myself into it. I knew I'd gained a good bit but I'm feeling really positive that I'm going to reach goal this year.

It's great to be back to normal, it feels good to be back on plan. Here's to lots of losses in the coming months.

Sweet Jesus that choc shot stuff is BEAUTIFUL! That’s gonna help nail my cravings in the evening. Just had meringue nest, yoghurt and a drizzle of this. Totally divine! Definitely having French toast with my HEB tomorrow and a drizzle of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

What's a choc shot? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement