Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have so much to learn! I had a breakfast of two weetabix, a muller light vanilla yoghurt (now synned, booo!) and banana and a fistful of blueberries.
    I was hungry about 90 minutes later but that was my hex b used. Thought it would be more filling.
    Madea pot of knorr veg soup which has 13 syns in total. Dinner was already going to be synful so wish I had checked the soup beforehand. Two waffles, breaded fish and mixed frozen veg.

Some little tips, the hexb (carbs) will give you an energy boost but won't fill you up, the protein will fill you. But the sweeter yogurts have more carbs than protein too, so you'd actually be better with a few eggs (boiled or scrambled) a couple of cherry tomatoes and a slice of wholemeal toast if you need it. Smoked salmon, bacon medallions or dry fried eggs.

One of my favorite quick fix meals is mushrooms, garlic, peppers and cherry tomatoes on a pan, salt and pepper lid on and steam (salt brings out the water from the mushrooms so no need for any oil) when it's nice and mushy, drop 2 eggs in lid back on and they poach in the tomato mix.. Its gorgeous, add dried chilli for a spicy hit. Good for lunch or breakfast and it's all speed and protein

Soup wise, 2 stock pots, water, 2 tins of tomatoes (speed) herbs and seasoning and blitz. Ten minutes and it's done. It's a speed so 0 syns.
    For when you have more time of you could roast root veg and put that in simmer and blitz... make enough to do a few days and you have a quick fix when you're hungry but lunch/dinner is not ready.
    It's much more helpful to have some speed or protein snacks on hand when you're hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Thanks so much cbyrd, thats brilliant!

First weigh in was tonight and 5lbs down. I’m happy but that’s probably only fluid really, so going for 3 next week hopefully.
    Interestingly in group today, one lady lost 7lbs in her first week. The consultant asked did you have 1/3 speed aside from what’s in the bolognese mix.

I never considered this. I use a good bit of veg in the sauce, and then loads of pasta because I’m a hound for it.
    So tonight I made a turkey curry and instead of the usual mound of rice I halved it a made a side salad. Thrilled with myself haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

5lbs is a great loss, if you're following plan it's weightloss, not water ;)

I find when it comes to the pasta and potatoes and rice, I will measure it and make up the difference in speed, especially pasta, I stick to 100g. I'm 19 weeks in and 39.5lbs down. Only had one week with no loss and that was over new year when we were away in the BiL house and couldn't control the cooking. :) I maintained, I'd a 1lb loss over Christmas.
    A loss is a loss no matter how small. Fill the treats press with apples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I was down half a pound this week.
    I was a bit disappointed because I had 6 days on plan.
    But on Saturday night I was on a date with someone I just met a few weeks ago and I was too shy to ask for diet 7up for my vodka. So realistically each vodka and dash was about 10 syns, opps, and we had a good bit to drink. We went to dinner as well but I made a good choice there. Strips of beef in black bean sauce and boiled rice.
    I will not be shy anymore, I'll be asking for my diet 7up with my vodka!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was up 1.5lbs deserved every ounce. Was in Liverpool for the weekend. Daughter's birthday yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Areas wrote: »
    I was down half a pound this week.
    I was a bit disappointed because I had 6 days on plan.
    But on Saturday night I was on a date with someone I just met a few weeks ago and I was too shy to ask for diet 7up for my vodka. So realistically each vodka and dash was about 10 syns, opps, and we had a good bit to drink. We went to dinner as well but I made a good choice there. Strips of beef in black bean sauce and boiled rice.
    I will not be shy anymore, I'll be asking for my diet 7up with my vodka!

Our leader gave a great talk last week about 'putting your weight loss first'
    Like you I would have been shy about things like That, but not anymore! I'm putting my needs before my shyness.

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Our leader gave a great talk last week about 'putting your weight loss first'
    Like you I would have been shy about things like That, but not anymore! I'm putting my needs before my shyness.

At the end of the night, I was like I'M DOING SLIMMING WORLD AND IF THIS IS GOING TO WORK YOU NEED TO KNOW!
    He just laughed at me, he's a fitness instructor and knew from our chats all night that I was serious in to my gym but didn't know about the slimming world part.
    It'll be no problem next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Just had to take a sick day from group last night - I texted the consultant who said get well soon. Do I need to pay extra next week does anyone know?
    Also I found a group closer to my house and another time that my current group meets that might be better. Is it easy to switch groups/times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

never_mind wrote: »
    Just had to take a sick day from group last night - I texted the consultant who said get well soon. Do I need to pay extra next week does anyone know?
    Also I found a group closer to my house and another time that my current group meets that might be better. Is it easy to switch groups/times?

It's easy to change group, just let the consultant know when you attend the group & they will do the switching.

I would recommend going to one as a visitor before committing to changing.

The first group I joined was a snooze, the consultant was nice but the members never interacted, trying to get conversation from them was like trying to get blood from a stone.
    I then moved to a group that is very lively & a bit of craic, which I was happy with. I leave feeling set up for the coming week & not relieved that its over.
    A few months after that a friend decided to join her local group, I said I would go with her for support every 2nd or 3rd week (as a visitor - I went to my own group the other weeks) This group was even worse that the first group I joined!! I used to dread going with her (She gave up after a few months & went back to my group)

Going to the right group can really help your progress! It can be worth going out of your way...

I don't know if you can take sick days, she my let you take it as a holiday if you ask.

Any suggestions for bloating? I feel so heavy today. I'm about to have a lemon and ginger tea and I think maybe a few days of SP will help me out a bit?
    A break from the carbs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Lots of water for bloating?

Weigh in tonight. I’m irrationally nervous though I’ve been on track fully now for 14 days. Using a habit tracker to see how long I can go! The rest of the family had a takeaway last night and I had a Chinese dish I cooked, it was divine!! Looking forward to leftovers for lunch

Finding the omelette maker amazing! I’ve been doing baked oats and omelettes every day since I got it. Super handy

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

The extra speed over the last few days did the trick, I was down 1.5lbs this week and got my 1.5 stone award, woo-hoo! Thanks cbyrd for that mushroom/cherry tomato/poached eggs breakfast suggestion, I'll be trying that out. It took me a little while to work out that I had to spread the carbs, protein and fats throughout the day to avoid patches where I felt really hungry.

Areas, you made me laugh out loud at your ALL CAPS coming clean about SW on your date. Good on you! It's a tricky thing to hide when you're eating and drinking one-on-one with someone else. You've been doing so well and you can be proud of what you've achieved, you shouldn't have to hide it.

Regarding bloating, I agree about more water, but in addition I have cut down so much on my bread intake since starting SW, mainly because I'd rather spend my syns on other things. Since then, that bloated feeling hardly ever strikes. I know this may not be true for everyone, but I think bread doesn't really agree with me and I find a slice or two a week is much more digestible.

Down 1.5 I'm happy & a bit surprised!
    The start of my SW week wasn't great, last Thurs & came home from group & my boyfriend made homemade pizza for dinner. Friday we had Supermacs (I had a grilled chicken burger on wholemeal bun so not the worst - & chips v.bold!) Then Saturday night we went out for a Indian meal.
    Other than those three off plan meals, I was 100% on plan the rest of the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Any suggestions for bloating? I feel so heavy today. I'm about to have a lemon and ginger tea and I think maybe a few days of SP will help me out a bit?
    A break from the carbs.

lack of salt is one reason, your body doesn't want to lose the water that contains the salt

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes it's worth keeping even a rough food diary to spot what it is that might be causing the bloating. Different people have different triggers.

3lbs down last night and got my 1/2 stone award. Baby cried the whole 1.5hrs I was gone again though which put a bit of a damper on things. I’m back to my first trimester weight with my second. 4lbs to get me to my twelve week weight with my first so that’s the next target

I had 40g of multigrain cheerios for my breakfast this morning. I'm going to try and switch my breakfasts up a bit instead of my usual poached eggs and bread every single day.
    Still feeling a small bit bloated but I'm definitely feeling a bit better.

I have a question. So for my milk this morning I used "low fat milk" what's the allowance for this?
    I measured out just 250ml just to be on the safe side.
    On the website I just see skimmed and semi-skimmed and 1%.

I have a question. So for my milk this morning I used "low fat milk" what's the allowance for this?
    I measured out just 250ml just to be on the safe side.
    On the website I just see skimmed and semi-skimmed and 1%.

Low fat is semi skimmed I think? What brand was It? It should be on the App.

• Advertisement

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Low fat is semi skimmed I think? What brand was It? It should be on the App.

It was costcutter low fat milk. Green label and a green top.

It's not on the App I'm afraid. Does it have the fat percentage listed on it anywhere?

4.5lb loss this week. Super happy with that.

Aiming for the same this week, and to get some more walls in.

Does anyone know how many syns to add if you have two wholemeal slices for hex b but they’re not from the small loaf?

Does anyone know how many syns to add if you have two wholemeal slices for hex b but they’re not from the small loaf?

It goes by weight.
    60g is HexB or 6 syns.
    So it's 1 syn per 10g.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

I think I have confirmed this but are Lidl's bags of microwaveable rice (250 gram) around 3 syns or so? And soy sauce is free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

devlinio wrote: »
    I think I have confirmed this but are Lidl's bags of microwaveable rice (250 gram) around 3 syns or so? And soy sauce is free?

If you happen to have an Iceland near you, their bags of microwaveable rice are free. FYI!

I was down 3lbs last night bringing me to 3stone 13.5 pounds!
    Delighted to have finally turned the corner after so long.
    I skipped the gym yesterday though as the image therapy almost went on for an hour because of new members.
    I'm going to my yoga class this evening though. I'm in to week 3 of my Platinum Body Magic award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Down 3.5lbs this week. Was up 1.5 last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

jlm29 wrote: »
    If you happen to have an Iceland near you, their bags of microwaveable rice are free. FYI!
    Is that the shelf microwaveable, or the frozen?

It'd be REALLY handy if it was the shelf sachets.

The frozen individual bags from Iceland are free.

Has anyone tried the SW frozen chips yet? I'm going to try get some tomorrow but if say they're flying out.

• Advertisement

-1lb down! Have a mini target of 6 pounds to go.. EEK!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Had been faffing about the last few weeks....up and down, up and down. Finally, my 3 stone award tonight.

I was 3lbs down last night, bringing my total to 8!
    Feeling energetic too, though still lazy.
    Lovely day on Sunday and I didn’t make any use of it, so zero exercise except 20 minutes a day to and from work.
    I definitely think reducing my pasta and rice intake and filling it with speed instead has been key.

I am back to where I was before Christmas (and I took a week off for a holiday) so I'm getting there. Feel like it's coming off slower now but it's still going.

Does anyone else save syns for weekend? I know this is a no-no but I like going out and having some gins and water!! I miss wine but hey, that's life.

Last weekend I had my gin straight and with lodas of ice because when I was mixing it I was drinking it too fast! Now to be fair it was at a tasting so I got away with it.

I had one gin, one poitin and 2 JDs and diet coke and then called it a night.

I'm really trying to not drink so much on a night out.

Trying to think of non-alcohol date nights. I've booked the drive in cinema for March, I'll be able to feast on all of my own snacks....so that's one weekend sorted!

Holiday booked for September and I would absolutely love to be at target for it.

It would be my dream.

Struggling a bit this week, oversynned on Sunday and massively yesterday.

Meals have been on plan, but for some reason I lost the run of myself with treats on those two days.
    I'm going to try to limit damged by having zero syns today and tomorrow.

I'm angry with myself for sabotaging after such a good result last week :(

On a side note : the Homesense in Blanchardstown has a huge selection of the Skinny syrups for anyone who has a sweet tooth.

L

Trying to think of non-alcohol date nights. I've booked the drive in cinema for March, I'll be able to feast on all of my own snacks....so that's one weekend sorted!

Bowling is a good fun date, or during the day a nice romantic walk up around Powerscourt Waterfall or Glendalough (if that's within distance for you)

I love a cinema date, drive in or not I bring my own snacks...no shame...I'd a lunch box with fresh baked Wheatabix muffins on Tuesday :D

If your eating out on a casual date I find Nando's a good choice for low syn options.

Butterfly chicken - ask for it with skin removed - free
    Corn on the cob - dont use the side of butter - free
    Side salad no dressing - speed
    Spicy Rice Regular - 2 syns.

Dessert - Frozen youghurt 3.5-4.5 syns depending on flavour.

It's my go to for eating out.

I'm down in Galway so no Nandos, but every time I'm in Dublin I get some!
    Absolutely love Nandos!
    I bring ham to the cinema and just eat it out of the pack. I love ham though.
    Also, I get the big cups of pineapple in Tesco and eat that as well in the cinema.
    We did bowling and I lost 2 games so I'm not doing that again for a while ;)

Accidentally ate 2 HEB’s yesterday. Was raging with myself. But having transferred my diary to the crappy paper one to hand up I’m still under for the week so hopefully will do ok

Down 3lbs!! Delighted because I had to do some jiggery pokery saving with syns for events happening but I was under for the week and it’s paid off!

Made pinch of nom dirty fries this evening, oh my they were delicious

Also the harvest morn popcorn caramel almond and pretzel bars are DELICIOUS and only 4 syns

• Advertisement

So I'm still banging on about being bloated. Does anyone think it might be the diet drinks I consume?
    Someone at work mentioned that she gets so bloated from diet coke or coke zero etc.
    I was going to do an SP week next week but instead I might just cut out all the fizzy drinks and see if that helps?

So I'm still banging on about being bloated. Does anyone think it might be the diet drinks I consume?
    Someone at work mentioned that she gets so bloated from diet coke or coke zero etc.
    I was going to do an SP week next week but instead I might just cut out all the fizzy drinks and see if that helps?

I used Coke Zero to get me through the sugar craving first two weeks and am making an effort now to switch to water or at least alternate. Now that you say it I’m a bit less bloated

Yes, when I'm out and not drinking I drink diet coke and it definately makes a difference. I usually try to stick to zero sugar miwadi, I struggle to drink enough plain water.

Thanks Shelli!!
    That's me off the fizzy drinks next week so.
    No harm to get me off the sugar free Monsters anyways.
    When I worked in retail we drank so many energy drinks, it's time I weaned myself off them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Maintained this week. I'm OK with it but surprised, I've definitely noticed a change in how my clothes fit this week.so I was expecting a loss. It's odd.

Does anyone here eat boxty? Which is the best one to go for?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Maintained this week. I'm OK with it but surprised, I've definitely noticed a change in how my clothes fit this week.so I was expecting a loss. It's odd.

I like the boiled boxty from Iceland, it's free. The pan boxty is nice from there as well but you have to syn it.
    I know in the Galway shop the boiled boxty is found in the gresh veg fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

eviltwin wrote: »

I bet you will get a good loss next week!
    I find the Mc niffes pan boxty the nicest. It comes it two half moon shaped slices and it’s 1.5 syns per slice. It’s great for making ‘pizza’ with.

I get boxty in the butchers, Drummolly pan boxty. You get 3 round slices, and the fit in the toaster which is handy. It's 1syn per slice.
    Fab with a breakfast fry up or used as pizza base.

If the boxty is all potato it's free, some pan boxty has flour or oil added, then it has syns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I was being so good and f'ed up royally last night, 50+ syns, so annoyed at myself. Hard to bother caring if you're doing everything right today when you've undone so much good work.

Really trying to draw a line under it but the pity party is winning at the mo.

• Advertisement

I was up a half yesterday, I know its only a half pound but I wont lie, I was disappointed... So much that I went home & demolished chipper chips & 3 massive slices of super cheesey pizza.

I was on plan 90% of the week.
    I think Wed & Thurs fecked me up tho, I reckon I didn't eat enough. I was out of my normal routine, relocating from one warehouse in work to a new warehouse, there was no canteen facility so I was surviving on take away coffee, HiFi bars & a packet of ham each day. I've had weeks where I've eaten way more & had losses.

Back on plan now, drawing a line under it as they say.

Advertisement