Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jessie Belle

Millem wrote: »
    omg completely lost the run of myself this week! Between bagels and biscuits!!!!
    The only thing that might save me on the scales is I have been feeding my son an awful lot today so fingers crossed breastfeeding really does burn up lots of calories!!!!
    Tomorrow I am back on it!!!!

Anyone got a child I can breastfeed for the next week? :p
    Sat night binge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

SP booklet has me confused.
    Can anyone tell me what I can use my syns on?

Like sliced boxty and Muller lights are synned now, and the likes of mayflower sauces?
    Can they be used as part of your syn allowance on SP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Shelli2 wrote: »
    SP booklet has me confused.
    Can anyone tell me what I can use my syns on?

Like sliced boxty and Muller lights are synned now, and the likes of mayflower sauces?
    Can they be used as part of your syn allowance on SP?

Anything that doesn't contain free food. So basically anything synned using the 20 calories = 1 syn rule.

So no yogurts because they contain a certain amount of free food (that's why they're not synned by calories), no boxty because potato is free, no sausages because they have a free food allowance, etc.

Sauces are absolutely fine to syn, they're synned by calories already and aren't given a free food allowance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

NSV today in that my skinny jeans are no longer skinny and my mum commented they’ll have to go. Totally baggy around the knees and I’m constantly pulling them up. That’s despite the gain last week so I’m happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Anyone got a child I can breastfeed for the next week? :p
    Sat night binge!

Haha! Still off the wagon. I need to have a serious talking to myself!
    Defo back on it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

4th week on slimming world tomorrow, weigh in tomorrow also.

I lost 5 1/2 lbs in 2 weeks then gained 1.5lb last week (due to eating a large dominos pizza to myself and going over my syns 4 days in a row lol)

So back at it this week and really feel I deserve a loss. I'm just happy I've stuck with Slimming World for 4 weeks now and glad I was happy to jump straight back on the plan last week rather than being like ah f it I've put on weight that's that out the window.

Really enjoying the plan I just struggle with the alcoholic drinks on the weekends (kopparbergs which are like 10 syns a bottle)
    but I love the way it's basically just a plan to teach us a proper balanced diet.

Best of luck to me tomorrow :v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Penn wrote: »
    Mate... Yum... F*cking yum...! That was delicious!

That's going in the meal rotation :D. Thanks!

Brilliant, delighted you enjoyed it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Millem wrote: »
    Haha! Still off the wagon. I need to have a serious talking to myself!
    Defo back on it tomorrow.

This must have been the weekend for it. Went on a right ripper myself, which even included most of an M&S Blackberry Roulade. Felt a bit sick after it. I doubt even the cabbage soup will save me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I was in the pub from 3 on Saturday for the rugby. Was home around midnight but I had my own weight in cider and whiskey.
    And I had a charcoal grill on the way home.
    Weigh in later....great craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Areas wrote: »
    I was in the pub from 3 on Saturday for the rugby. Was home around midnight but I had my own weight in cider and whiskey.
    And I had a charcoal grill on the way home.
    Weigh in later....great craic!

I was pretty much the same - had 6 pints of coors light over the weekend and a good bit of vodka. Weigh in tomorrow... Betcha I gained :(

4 pounds down at weigh in today. Buzzing with myself. If I lose 4 next week that’ll be a stone in 5 weeks. Best of luck for the week everyone :D

never_mind wrote: »
    I was pretty much the same - had 6 pints of coors light over the weekend and a good bit of vodka. Weigh in tomorrow... Betcha I gained :(

Even if you have, it's most likely water weight mainly. I know there's calories in alcohol and all that, but alcohol makes your body hold onto water, so don't be too down about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Even if you have, it's most likely water weight mainly. I know there's calories in alcohol and all that, but alcohol makes your body hold onto water, so don't be too down about it!

Have to agree. You might get bad results this week due to water retention, but it could balance out pretty evenly and give you a great result next week.

Penn wrote: »
    Have to agree. You might get bad results this week due to water retention, but it could balance out pretty evenly and give you a great result next week.

I find drinking 3L of water the following day, along with some green tea works for me for getting rid of the retention. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'm still on dry January (until Friday :D)
    I don't usually step on my own scales but was down 2lbs on Saturday since Tuesday's weigh-in so was delighted.
    Yesterday I was feeling verrrry sluggish after a bad night's sleep, the 2 lbs were back on.
    Last night I got a good slee and feeling lighter so hopefully a loss.
    I'm annoyed I weighed myself 3 times this week though cos I try not to, and I was extremely annoyed yesterday because all my "good deeds" (booze, peanuts, pizza) amounting to nothing.
    Anyway, I'll see tonight and then stop obsessing over scales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I was up a pound and a half last night and even though I knew all the reasons why I still went on a 24 hour eating binge.
    So I'm drawing a line under it and doing an SP week starting tomorrow.
    My boyfriend can just deal with me being fussy when I stay at his over the weekend!

I'm on SP day 3 and defo feeling the benefit of it!
    I don't normally weigh mid week but I think I will on Thursday morning before I travel, hoping it will help keep me on track as much as possible while I'm away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Ashamed to say that I'm in SW forever but have never done an SP day.

Is the basic premise that you have no carbs like bread/potato/rice and 50:50 speed and protein instead?

Hoping my gain last week was due to ovulation. Honestly my body doesn’t seem to know wtf is going on postpartum. Can’t tell if I geared up to ovulate and didn’t or wtf is going on coz signs are pointing to it again (I get ovulation pain, constipation and bloating at ovulation). Regardless I’ve been bang on plan despite it and chaos of this week and am well under syns too.

We have an attic conversion ongoing so I bailed with the four month old and four year old to mayo for five days. Arrived back Sunday. Monday morning we found they had caused a massive leak so now we also need floors lifted and replaced in the sitting room and hall, repainting and landing carpet replaced. I’m currently in my inlaws with the boys and no husband as he’s supervising in the house. I’m so proud of being on track inspite of everything though. Sitting here with fibre One, light babybels and carrot sticks missing my husband. Hopefully we get a timeline tomorrow and I can get back home for a while at least until they lift the damn floors.

I’m going to be really upset if I don’t lose this week. And I’m trying to psych myself up in case whatever is going on with my cycle affects the scales

Ashamed to say that I'm in SW forever but have never done an SP day.

Is the basic premise that you have no carbs like bread/potato/rice and 50:50 speed and protein instead?

No free foods at all - so no rice, potatoes etc as you say, but also no yogurts (synned or not), grapes, pineapple, bananas, parsnips etc.

50/50 speed and protein, 1 healthy B and 2 As as usual, and a maximum of 10 syns instead of 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Joing SW again tomorrow morning, but doing shopping today.. any good things I can get in? Heard there are 2 hex As now?

TIA

jc11 wrote: »
    Joing SW again tomorrow morning, but doing shopping today.. any good things I can get in? Heard there are 2 hex As now?

TIA

Two hexA’s yeah

Basics for me
    -Be good wholemeal bread (hexb)
    -porridge (hexb)
    - babybel light (3=hex a)
    -extra light laughing cow (6=hex a)
    -skimmed milk (350ml hex a)
    -frozen bags of broccoli, cauliflower, onion, peppers etc for speed
    -apples and strawberries for fruit
    -quark for omelettes
    -muller lights for chopped fruit breakfasts (I really dislike fat free natural yoghurt)
    -eggs
    -ham
    -fibre One popcorn bars (3.5 syns)
    -fresh carrots (hate them frozen) and mushrooms
    -potatoes
    -bacon medallions
    -meat for whatever I plan on making usually chicken breasts, full chicken and 5% mince at least

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Thats great thanks a million :)

3lbs off :eek:

I'm over the bloody moon! My BMI is now JUST ABOUT where I want it to be for the moment. 2lbs more and I'm no longer medically obese, just plain ole overweight.

Delighted and really hoping I'll get those 2lbs off next week because it'll also give me my 5st loss :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maintained.
    Honestly dodged a number of bullets there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Down 2.5lbs, happy with that, wasn't great this week but last week's efforts hadn't shown on the scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Another maintain. That's 3 weeks in a row. Very frustrating. I'm sick at the moment and on antibiotics. I think I need to try an sp week and see.

Congratulations on all the losses.

Antibiotics can mess with your body. I always get blocked up and gain on them.

Try not to worry. If you've been on plan, it'll show soon.

Alternatively, get a measuring tape and start measuring yourself. Sometimes you may not lose weight but can lose inches!

I just had a slice of red velvet cake so that's this week out the window!

One bad meal won't negate 20 good meals :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Exactly! It's easy to feel we've messed things up by having one off-plan meal or treat. But it's that thinking that does the damage (and the more cake and biscuits and takeaway and wine and god knows what that it leads you to have).

You had some cake. I'll bet it was delicious and I hope you enjoyed every last crumb. If you're back on plan straight away then I'd bet you anything that one slice of cake won't show on the scales at your next weigh in.

Just to further go on about 1 bad meal compared to 20 good meals -

I had a shed load of booze on Friday night. I very rarely drink these days but I had 3 bottles of Heineken, maybe 5 vodkas and the vodkas were mixed with full sugar 7up because they had no diet.

I still lost 3lbs because I drank loads of water to prevent water retention and I made sure every single meal I had was perfect. I didn't restrict my food or syns, just continued as normal.

Thanks Dalamanakora and ally pally. I'll keep that in mind and stay positive. It was in work and a rare occasion and very delish!
    There will be drinks Friday night but as long as I don't go for food after I think I should be ok

Have to agree with the previous posters. I had two takeaways and some beers the weekend before last and put on 2lb. But I weigh myself on Sunday mornings, so water retention would have been high from salty food & beers. I didn't punish myself or adjust wildly, just carried on as normal. The following week I lost 4lb, probably half of which would have been the water retention.

Admittedly, I would have lost more weight total had I not had the takeaways and beers, but these things happen. It's important to enjoy them when they do rather than completely restrict yourself all the time. Just do the right things the rest of the time and it'll all even out. One bad day won't ruin 6 good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I just gotta reiterate how important Dalomanakora's way of looking at it is! Math-wise, it's just a bit more calorie-dense than free desserts - a slice of tesco red velvet (1/6 of a cake) is 274kcal.

Putting that into perspective, having a v healthy dinner:
    SW free korean noodle pot = 467 kcal
    Salad ~100 kcals
    0.5 syn Chicken tikka breast pieces = 127kcal
    all in = 700 kcalories.

Adding a little dressing and you're in throwing distance of that cake being the equivalent of 1/3 of a healthy dinner. Imagine eating an extra third of a healthy dinner? That's not so bad! Ok nutrition-wise it's not great, but eating that cake isn't the worst thing ever, you'll easily bounce back, and "absorb" the cost of syns over the next few days. Keep kicking butt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

L6FYYYo.jpg

Got my 6.5 stone this week! Happily surprised to get it because it included a night off plan getting Pitt Bros and drinking Capt Morgans. But I made mildly better decisions than I usually would; like stopping eating when full (or when it went cold) and changing the volume of coke zero vs rum. So definitely, even if you're dreading the scales, make sure to weigh-in, you might surprise yourself!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    L6FYYYo.jpg

Got my 6.5 stone this week! Happily surprised to get it because it included a night off plan getting Pitt Bros and drinking Capt Morgans. But I made mildly better decisions than I usually would; like stopping eating when full (or when it went cold) and changing the volume of coke zero vs rum. So definitely, even if you're dreading the scales, make sure to weigh-in, you might surprise yourself!

Oh congrats that’s amazing!!

And timely. I’m so nervous about weighing in tonight after an unexpected gain last week. I’ve been really very good and I’m so afraid the scales once again won’t reflect my work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Antibiotics can mess with your body. I always get blocked up and gain on them.

This is explains a lot for me. I was in hospital for 24 hours earlier in the week must have had 2 litres of antibiotics pumped into me for an infection in my hand. I've haven't eaten loads all week but what I have done has been healthy and on plan and I was still up a pound today. On the antibiotics until Monday so I'm hoping just to maintain. On the plus side, I didn't have to have surgery on my hand and the infection is nearly gone, so there's that :D

Well done jaykhunter!! That’s a phenomenal achievement.
    I find this group much better than my actual weigh-in one. Maybe it’s cos I go on my own and nearly everyone seems to be together, or cos I wouldn’t be much of a conversation starter, so I don’t really interact with anyone while waiting for it tt to start, etc.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give a bit of advice re the drinking thing.
    To avoid fluid retention, is it best to have water between drinks (something I’m awful at), or water before bed (not great at this, but can do)?
    Does water the next day work as well or is it too late then?
    Thanks, can’t wait for tomorrow night!

• Advertisement

I’m down 3.5 to hit my One stone award!! Over the moon here considering it’s been a chaotic week involving visits to my parents with the kids to avoid builders and then to the in-laws for two nights when the builders caused a massive leak the night I arrived back so I’ve only been in my own house one night between weigh ins. Walking on air!

I absolutely love this and think it’s the reason this is the first time I’ve properly stuck to a plan like slimming world. If I go eat something way over my syns years ago I would’ve given up, where as it’s great the way the plan allows for life to get in the way, occasions, parties etc and you can just jump straight back on plan then

This is explains a lot for me. I was in hospital for 24 hours earlier in the week must have had 2 litres of antibiotics pumped into me for an infection in my hand. I've haven't eaten loads all week but what I have done has been healthy and on plan and I was still up a pound today. On the antibiotics until Monday so I'm hoping just to maintain. On the plus side, I didn't have to have surgery on my hand and the infection is nearly gone, so there's that :D

Last time I was in hospital (well, last time I was in for more than a day), they pumped me with seven bags of iv antibiotics (I had sepsis so needed a LOT of them).

I feckin LOST 2.5.

Then I'm put on augmentin for a week over Christmas and gain 2.5 despite being on plan :pac:

jaykhunter wrote: »

Congrats lad! Absolutely smashing it!

6.5 stone is bloody amazing Jay, congratulations! Say you're chuffed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I dont know if this is something that anyone else does but it occoured to me recently as something helpful so I thought I'd mention it here.

When I first started SW i was really trying not to drink much at home because I was worried about over pouring my measures, even if i was drinking gin and slimline.

I bought an Irish Pub measure (35cl) in Stock beside the Stephens Green shopping center and its been a game changer. I can have one or two drinks at home in confidence without wondering if I'm going overboard. Its not something I've really seen SW instagrammers use (not that I see absolutely everything) but to me its an essential tool :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Well done on the losses everyone!

I maintained last night. I'm a bit ticked off because I was good all week (& it was the first week in probably 6 months that I didn't get a takeaway or eat out!) I'm a few days off star week so I'm putting it down to that, it usually effects me during the lead up.
    My treadmill arrived on Wednesday so I'm getting the body magic in. I got up a bit earlier today & did a 20 min brisk walk & knocked back a pint of water before my shower. I'm going to do this every morning & hopefully I will see the results in the scales next week - If I don't I will burn everything!!

Pro tip: a tablespoon of Captain Morgan's is 1syn. Haha!

Perfect for tracking your drinks at home

Any ideas on low syn sausages in Tesco? I’ve tried mallons and they were very rubbery. Loughnanes were better but wouldn’t mind trying a few low syn ones

There is one called Skinny Sausage that I really liked. They're jumbo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Hodgens low fat sausages are the nicest low syn I've found, only 1 syn each BUT I haven't been able to find them anywhere in months!

• Advertisement
Advertisement