Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in, hopefully it is.

I need to make a white sauce, and I'd normally just make a standard bechamel sauce so that's just roux and milk but milk is not good for slimming world so I'm thinking if I made a veloute sauce and because its made with stock its going to be less syns, I can stir in some low fat creme fraiche once its off the boil so it looks more like a white sauce.

Is that a good option syns wise or is there a better way to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I need to make a white sauce, and I'd normally just make a standard bechamel sauce so that's just roux and milk but milk is not good for slimming world so I'm thinking if I made a veloute sauce and because its made with stock its going to be less syns, I can stir in some low fat creme fraiche once its off the boil so it looks more like a white sauce.

You could try a roux & use half slimline milk, half stock.

I make a mushroom mac & cheese this way.
    I chop the mushrooms up small, cover in boiling water & zap in the microwave for a few min, then drain off the mushroom water & keep aside.
    Then I make the roux as normal with flour but using light butte, then alternating between slimline milk & mushroom water, then the cheese.
    When that's done I stir in the macaroni & mushrooms & bake in the oven.
    It sounds manky but it's actually delicious!
    It's by no means syn free but it can be low if you use your healthy extra A(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

For what dish? I usually use slimming world parsley sauce for the likes of fish pie. Great substitute for the full fat Roux I'd usually be having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Any ideas on low syn sausages in Tesco? I’ve tried mallons and they were very rubbery. Loughnanes were better but wouldn’t mind trying a few low syn ones

What kind of time have ya got? If u cook the mallons on slow for half an hour they're lovely! Definitely nicer than the 7-10 minutes I usually give them. At 0.25 syn jeez they're brilliant "value" :D

Also suggest picking up some diced onions from Tesco, they fry from frozen and taste fantastic with saussies. They're maybe 60c for 500g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Pro tip: a tablespoon of Captain Morgan's is 1syn. Haha! Perfect for tracking your drinks at home

This will be my undoing! :D straight into the long term memory with that.

On a side note, instead of a whole cereal & multiseed bagel slims for my HeB, I've been using HALF of the regular cereal & multiseed bagel. I've checked the nutrition and half a regular bagel is slightly less than half the nutrition of all of a slim bagel. also asked my consultant and she says it's ok. Also, I've been doing it for 3 weeks and still losing weight so I think it's ok.

Half of a full bagel is SO much more satisfying. toast the slim bagel and it becomes a bloody coaster!

Btw Dunnes have small pats of real butter for sale in Stephens Green - that's 2.5 syn each. No more weighing and u know exactly the synnage. Goes great with half a regular bagel :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tried the syn-free veg pakora from the Slimming World website today, but I had great trouble keeping them from falling apart. Anyone make them successfully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I had a syn free (with hexa) hamburger cheese burger pasta. OMG it was amazing and am making it again tonight.
    I have group tonight and like last week I am very certain I've gained this week. I am going to go anyway and stick to group. Can't go next week and the following week I am working late so I will stay and learn some stuff about free feb. EUGH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'm hoping my consultant is back tonight. She hasn't been there the last 2 weeks and the one who took over isn't great.
    I didn't stay for group last week because the week before she went through a few people who had lost weight, then asked "who else has had a loss" as if anyone would volunteer, so the group was ended 20 minutes early and I didn't really take much from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

never_mind wrote: »
    I had a syn free (with hexa) hamburger cheese burger pasta. OMG it was amazing and am making it again tonight.
    I have group tonight and like last week I am very certain I've gained this week. I am going to go anyway and stick to group. Can't go next week and the following week I am working late so I will stay and learn some stuff about free feb. EUGH

So the results are in. I maintained. I don’t get it.. I stuck to plan and although I said i thought I’d gained I thought and hoped it MIGHT have lost. Does that happen? I feel a bit hopeless now, I left group after I weighed in and just went home to mope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Weighed tonight instead of tomorrow. UP 2.

Absolutely no idea how. I will ALWAYS throw my hands up to a gain. When I gain, I gain because I didn't stick to plan, because I was a pig, because I binged.

I was 100% on plan, threw in some SP days, stayed under 10 syns most days (used my full 15 twice).

I'm absolutely disgusted. I needed 2 off by next week for something very important, and now I have to try get 4 off in a week. Drastic measures starting tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Any ideas on low syn sausages in Tesco? I’ve tried mallons and they were very rubbery. Loughnanes were better but wouldn’t mind trying a few low syn ones

My local butchers (tallaght) sells "Whelan" sausages, 1/2 a syn each, they are by far the nicest sausages I've had on sw. They also do "whelans" pudding, 2 and a half syns for the entire pack. It's really really good. Maybe worth a look in your local butchers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our consultant linked in with the gym beside our class and we had our first slimming world only box fit class tonight. It was amazing! And brilliant to be with a bunch of people all in the same boat and to recognise people. Buzzing still and can’t sleep though the pain has kicked in 😂😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Weighed tonight instead of tomorrow. UP 2.

Did you weigh in at the same time of day (albeit a day early)?
    If you normally weigh in of a morning and switched to an evening weigh in a couple of pounds up is almost expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

amor3 wrote: »
    My local butchers (tallaght) sells "Whelan" sausages, 1/2 a syn each, they are by far the nicest sausages I've had on sw. They also do "whelans" pudding, 2 and a half syns for the entire pack. It's really really good. Maybe worth a look in your local butchers!
    Where in Tallaght is it?

Where in Tallaght is it?

The butchers at Aylesbury shops ;-)

I think the one in the square ( bottom level) might do the range too. Not 100% sure though!

spurious wrote: »
    Did you weigh in at the same time of day (albeit a day early)?
    If you normally weigh in of a morning and switched to an evening weigh in a couple of pounds up is almost expected.

Yep, exact same time unfortunately. I know I can fluctuate throughout the day, so I always weigh in the evenings.

Ah well. I know I was 100% so maybe it'll show in a big loss next week if I stick to plan again this week :)

Yep, exact same time unfortunately. I know I can fluctuate throughout the day, so I always weigh in the evenings.

Ah well. I know I was 100% so maybe it'll show in a big loss next week if I stick to plan again this week :)

Are you male or female? If female it could be cycle related. I gained last week unexpectedly when ovulating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Absolutely. I wouldn't get disheartened. I can suck not getting the result you wanted/expected when you know you did nothing wrong, but I think there are so many variables that can result in temporary drops or spikes in weight, or might just delay the effect of your good work from being reflected in the scales.

Count this week as being just one of those blips, and stick to the plan. If there's little to no loss next week too, then it's something to look into and talk to your SW consultant about. Hopefully your good work will show on the scales next week!

Gained 0.5lb this week. Kinda expecting it. Could be another gain next week with all the valentines day food and drink tomorrow :v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

The butchers at Aylesbury shops ;-)

I think the one in the square ( bottom level) might do the range too. Not 100% sure though!

The Butcher in Aylesbury is great! The do the Naked Blondie range too (or they used to).

cee_jay wrote: »
    The Butcher in Aylesbury is great! The do the Naked Blondie range too (or they used to).

I'm five min drive from there, will deffo call in!

cee_jay wrote: »

Yeah they are very good. Have great knowledge of all the sw stuff. All their products are really nice actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

With all the sausage talk, I thought I'd post this recipe I've had a few times in the last week or so: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/this-one-pot-dinner-is-a-lifesaver-at-mealtimes-1.3774707

Use low syn sausages, a smaller amount of chorizo or replace the chorizo with some smoky bacon and it's very SW friendly. I add in mushrooms and extra peppers as well to up the speed value. Delish!

Had a 3lb loss this week so very happy. Got slimmer of the week and am 1lb off 1 stone so that would be nice next week.

Definitely think there are weeks where I will lose just 0.5lb even though fully on plan, so I need to match the joys of a bigger loss with accepting that.
    Last weekend was my first weekend drinking since Christmas. Had a few at home on the Friday night. Really craved crisps but luckily don't have any at home.
    Saturday night had plenty (wasn't counting) of drinks but didn't crave Supermacs or anything so happy with that. On plan the next day after a long lie-in.

It's crazy to think though, I had probably 30-40 syns on both of those days, mostly on booze. Then the other weeks when I'm fully on plan and lower syns, might amount to a tiny loss.

Well done muffintop, great loss!

Some of my friends don't syn alcohol, 1 in particular and she still manages a loss! Anyone else not syn it??

Weigh in for me in the morning, I have been really slow with my losses since rejoining last September. I left when I found out I was pregnant, didn't want to pay to be told I was putting on weight:-) I was losing good and quick that time. This time round I've only managed 9lb, I am mostly maintaining most weeks or with half a pound loss or gain! I am on plan most of the time, really need to up my speed but surely I should seen better losses by even just staying on plan!

• Advertisement

Well done muffintop, great loss!

Some of my friends don't syn alcohol, 1 in particular and she still manages a loss! Anyone else not syn it??

Weigh in for me in the morning, I have been really slow with my losses since rejoining last September. I left when I found out I was pregnant, didn't want to pay to be told I was putting on weight:-) I was losing good and quick that time. This time round I've only managed 9lb, I am mostly maintaining most weeks or with half a pound loss or gain! I am on plan most of the time, really need to up my speed but surely I should seen better losses by even just staying on plan!

I dont really syn vodka at all and ive still lost.
    Although anytime ive had a few wines ive gained
    Then again the first week i had beer wine vodka and a chicken fillet roll and still lost 3.5 :S hah

I definitely syn alcohol although I rarely have big nights out anymore. If I didn't syn it, I'd end up drinking beer and wine which are a killer for weight loss. I'm just as happy having a G&T or rum and diet coke - 4 or 3.5 syns each compared to 10 and upwards for a pint of beer.

I love a glass of wine at the weekends. If I drink beer, i drink Heineken light, if I'm out, I drink gin. I always syn it. Just don't know how some don't and still lose! So jealous :-)

Weigh in, down 1 and a half. Happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

single dad of 2 kids

i go to sw class but i don't know why , i seriously lack motivation

i need to get my rear end in gear

hoping buying a new planner might help me plan

im boring with food tbh and don't eat fish

help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a standard fileofax (from eBay) with the slimming world inserts from fabulous planning-I like their colour and layout. Try and get a half hour to yourself after bedtime and sit down and plan out even one day at a time. Some people are good at long term planning, I’m a day at a time person though I do one weekly shop. You can do this. It takes commitment. And remember the sw way is very good for kids if you are cooking/snacking on fresh food as much as possible

No fish in this house really either. But sw works with meat, potato and two veg if you want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I bought one from Etsy seller weebusybee. It's a 12wk planner and I love It!
    I have to write everything down.

Weigh tomorrow morning after my holiday. Really hoping for a small loss, but id be happy with a maintain.
    I was super strict on SP all last week and since I got back on Tuesday. And I didn't go too mad on holidays really.

I was down 1 last night... I was hoping for more after being so good but I can't complain really.

Up a half. I’m pissed off tbh. I had a couple of moments but nothing remotely resembling falling off the bandwagon and made the good choices so I’m pissed. What’s gonna happen if I ever have a proper meal off plan? God forbid I have chips with a treat lunch out (which I deliberately skipped this week for example).

Back on it with a vengeance now I guess

So the SP days seem to have paid off!
    Down 4lb at today's weigh and after my holiday last weekend that's such a shock.
    But thinking back, I was gutted to be up .5 at my last weigh after a super good week. So the benefits of that and the SP days have negated the bold weekend! Winning!

Got my half stone award since rejoining in Jan. 8lb down in total.

Weekend of over synning.
    Meals weren't too bad, not enough speed, but mainly free food.
    Overindulged on treats last night and cinema popcorn today though.
    Line drawn, Mon-Fri is SP again for me this week. I want my stone award by end of Feb.
    💪💪💪

After the very unexpected gain last week, I'm looking forward to weigh in tonight. Did a full week of SP, at 5 syns per day, with 1A and 1B (didn't need the second A).

If I don't lose tonight, I'll know my body hates me :pac:

Second night at boxfit with our slimming world class (consultant and gym manager organised it). I nearly died, way harder than last week. In a good way though! And it’s definitely helping motivate me. I’m on week three of silver body magic now with two workouts at home and one at that class. Can’t get out a third evening with two kids! Unfortunately had an unexpected gain of half a pound last week but apparently almost everyone who started the gym classes so we’ll see. Ultimately I want to be much fitter for playing with the kids so whether it’s fitness or the scales I don’t mind so much. Been much better this week on water and food so roll on tomorrow now to see how it went

Second night at boxfit with our slimming world class (consultant and gym manager organised it). I nearly died, way harder than last week. In a good way though! And it’s definitely helping motivate me. I’m on week three of silver body magic now with two workouts at home and one at that class. Can’t get out a third evening with two kids! Unfortunately had an unexpected gain of half a pound last week but apparently almost everyone who started the gym classes so we’ll see. Ultimately I want to be much fitter for playing with the kids so whether it’s fitness or the scales I don’t mind so much. Been much better this week on water and food so roll on tomorrow now to see how it went

The gain is just water retention, it's really common when you start exercising :) up the water intake, and give it a few weeks and it'll drop off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thats brilliant, are all SW groups doing exercise now or is yours just extra motivated?

As others have said, water retention is the likely cause here. give yourself something other than the scales to measure against so you can still see progress.

Do you have an item of clothing that you check yourself against (I know i do!)

Ultimately its about feeling good in my clothes, so if the scales don't move, but whatever dress/jeans/whatever I'm trying to fit into at the time, actually closes or I can get the zip up further, then I know I'm making progress.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Thats brilliant, are all SW groups doing exercise now or is yours just extra motivated?

As others have said, water retention is the likely cause here. give yourself something other than the scales to measure against so you can still see progress.

Do you have an item of clothing that you check yourself against (I know i do!)

Ultimately its about feeling good in my clothes, so if the scales don't move, but whatever dress/jeans/whatever I'm trying to fit into at the time, actually closes or I can get the zip up further, then I know I'm making progress.

I’ve just dropped a clothes size all over so I’m happy out despite the gain tbh.

It’s not all classes as far as I’m aware. Just happens that our sw class is in the clubhouse beside the gym. Our consultant and the gym manager got talking and agreed to set up slimming world only classes. He came in to speak to the groups. Worked brilliantly for him and us. I know I (and most of us) were way too nervous to start classes but this way he’s gained a good 20-30 people and we’ve got a bit of privacy to build some confidence. And odds are since we are all local that a chunk of those will eventually join the gym officially

• Advertisement

This week's result... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This week's result... :eek:

BOOM! :D

Amazing result! Really happy for you!

Penn wrote: »
    BOOM! :D

Amazing result! Really happy for you!

I'm absolutely shocked :D new number, 5 stone award and I'm only 3.5 from my 5 and a half stone :D

That's fantastic. Well done!
    Did you do anything different to get such a big loss?

Shelli2 wrote: »
    That's fantastic. Well done!
    Did you do anything different to get such a big loss?

Full week of SP, 5 syns or less per day, no drinks other than water (3L) & I honestly reduced how much I was eating. I needed 3-4lbs off for other reasons, so I went kind of extreme this week. If I was hungry, I had lots of water before eating, to reduce how much I ate.

Full week of SP, 5 syns or less per day, no drinks other than water (3L) & I honestly reduced how much I was eating. I needed 3-4lbs off for other reasons, so I went kind of extreme this week. If I was hungry, I had lots of water before eating, to reduce how much I ate.

Super result! Well done again.
    I do find the SP really helps, I try to do it mon-fri but I don't think I could manage 7 days!
    This week I'm trying to up my water intake too.

I usually do a few SP days a week but I rarely do a full week, it's not easy tbh. Well worth it for some people though, it doesn't suit everyone but thankfully it suits me.

Definitely try up the water. I usually drink a lot of it anyway, but I cut out coffee (I drink it black anyway) too just to give myself an extra boost this week. Absolutely dying for a coffee in the morning now :pac:

Fabulous result! Well done, very well deserved.

I got my 1 stone award last night so thrilled. Wasn’t sure I would. Foodwise I was grand but my sleep pattern is always bad. As you can probably see right now!
    So i had maybe 3 hours sleep the night before weigh-in and had to drag my ass out of bed at 8am for work. But luckily I got it, cos last week I was 1lb off the stone and really wanted it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Have had a busy couple of weeks and hadn't checked in on the thread in a while. Some great results coming in, significant milestones achieved and a real air of determination. Congrats to all! I haven't tried SP at all yet, but hard-coring it really seems to pay off, even if it takes a couple of weeks to show.

We finally had my mother's 80th birthday party (which was the impetus behind my joining SW in October). I was absolutely delighted to be almost 2 stone lighter :D and at 5'2" two stone makes a big difference. The family photographs weren't a source of mortification to me and there were lots of compliments from relatives I hadn't seen for a while.

So glad I joined SW! Needless to say I threw caution to the wind and enjoyed the birthday celebrations to the full, but now I'm ready to get back on plan and continue working towards my target!

Advertisement