Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Whats for lunch and dinner today people?

Im having chicken salad for lunch and salmon, stir fry veg, baked potato for dinner. Keeping my hexB for HiFi bars this eve. Find this helps me as I LOVE to snack in the evenings!

Had the afters of a wedding at the weekend but avoided any of the greasy finger food. Actually felt better for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

The kids have requested chili beef bake for dinner, it's been a while since I've cooked that one.
    Lunch was a ham salad.
    hexB will be SW bars too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭awny

Hi all,

Joined SW today but still waiting on the app thing is be set up. Just wondering if anyone would know the Syns in Liberte 0% VANILLA Greek style yoghurt, I know the plain one is free. TIA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Liberte Strained Greek Style Yogurt, Vanilla, 0% Fat (450g pot) 6½ syns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Week 4 back on it -2lbs

Total loss in 4 weigh-in's -11.5lbs

Delighted with the results :)
    I'd a good week food-wise, was a bit bold Saturday night & had 8 bottles of Bulmers & a few too many doritos but feck it!
    Only 7 weeks to my holidays, I'd love to be back at target by then (10lbs away)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Down 4 so all the wedding weight lost and an extra half pound. I’d love 3.5 next week to hit the three stone mark but I’m trying to be realistic, I average 1-1.5lb so it’s not likely! I’ve been off plan this evening but back on the wagon tomorrow to get down ASAP.

Praying for a maintain tomorrow morning. Too many blips this week. Eugh.

I need to get active again, I had to stop my gym classes when dad was back in hospital, but there's no excuse for not even getting out for a walk or cycle.

I definitely seem to be more motivated and in control of food, with less cravings when I'm in a good active routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Evening all. Haven’t been on here in a while. I was up and down, up and down, hovering ten pounds above target all the time. I then had a fairly urgent admission to hospital followed by a 3 week stay. Very much on the mend now but one strange upside is I’ve reached my SW target. A combination of my appetite disappearing in hospital and the removal of a 5 pound benign tumour!

I’m now home, eating all around me but I’m allowing myself to for a little while considering what I’ve been through. I also have a lot of stuff making sense for me now which didn’t before. I remember people advising me here that my 6-7 pound gain mid-cycle was excessive and to maybe get it checked out by a doctor. Well, you were right!

Hope all of you who have health worries at the moment have things sorted soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

A 5lb tumour!!! Glad to hear you are doing well. Doubt theres anyone else who can say they reached target by losing a tumour !

• Advertisement

It’s a bit of a dramatic way of reaching target all right. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Ok I have made the decision to rejoin. I am sick of looking at my belly that now resembles a 7 month pregnancy. I had my son 3 years ago so no excuses anymore.

I bought the pinch of nom book last week and have enjoyed making recipes from that.

My problem is I work in the states every week. The food over there is pure trash. Very hard when eating out etc so will need to get my head around that.

I have holidays coming up in September. I want to get back to being a size 12. I'm currently a size 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Glad to hear it Ally! That must've been scary. How are you feeling now?

Good on ya rejoining Cruais! It must be so difficult in the states where delicious, fattening food is everywhere and is really good value (huge portions). Definitely have to meal prep and eat at home as much as you can. Maybe scout some restaurants with low calorie options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Yep will just have to really pre plan everything. I generally try and avoid chicken or beef over there as it is pumped full of antibiotics.

Will just do research of local restaurants. There is a place called whole foods and they do mainly organic healthy options to take away. I'll just have to make that my new home instead of the happy hour at my local chinese

I maintained.....by some miracle.
    Will have to be extra good this week though, or it will definitely show.

Anyone use My fitness Pal to calorie track alongside SW?

• Advertisement

I’m very much on and off at the moment. Second MRI done and luckily I’ve enough medical people around me to know that it’s not MS. However the neurosurgeon private waiting list is at least six weeks so I’m pretty frustrated that I can’t get answers. Back surgery with two kids, one starting school, the other starting crèche and me returning to work after maternity would be a bit of a nightmare. I’m really hoping that they’ll tell me I can hold off but it’s all up in the air right now. I really resent having this all hanging over me for the rest of the summer. I’d have zero issue waiting if I knew it was ok to. It’s the uncertainty.

I’m two days on, one day off sort of at the moment. In a real battle not to eat my feelings. But I’m 3.5lbs off the 3 stone mark and I’d really like to get there. I’m going for the end of the month to not put too much pressure on myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So after 2 weigh ins I am down down 7lbs :)
    Yesterday I stood on their scales and it showed-2.5lbs I asked to be reweighed as I thought my foot was a bit off!! Anyway it then showed -3lbs!!!! I think it was a mistake but they wouldn’t weigh me again!!! LOL

Well done Millem great result!

Mirrorwall hopefully all the worry will be over soon and you'll be so glad you didnt fall off the band wagon completely!

Probably a very silly question BUT any ideas of whats the best of a bad lot in supermacs? I rarely eat there so dont really know the menu but for afew reasons beyond my control unfortunately this evening this is where I am going to have to have my tea! Im saving syns and HexB to try and be flexible but I dont think there are any options there that could even count as HexB - any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Well done Millem great result!

Mirrorwall hopefully all the worry will be over soon and you'll be so glad you didnt fall off the band wagon completely!

Probably a very silly question BUT any ideas of whats the best of a bad lot in supermacs? I rarely eat there so dont really know the menu but for afew reasons beyond my control unfortunately this evening this is where I am going to have to have my tea! Im saving syns and HexB to try and be flexible but I dont think there are any options there that could even count as HexB - any suggestions?

I'd say to forget the SW rules for one night and just go with a low calorie option to minimize. The fact that you've saved your hexb and syns should offset. If you stick to around 600 calories, you won't derail yourself. Maybe even 800 if you want to splash out :)

https://www.supermacs.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2017_319-Nutritional-A3-SUPERMACS-Rev004.pdf

That chart is really useful. The grilled chicken breast sandwich seems by far the best choice. I’ve had it before and it’s really nice. 340 kcals for a big chicken burger isn’t bad at all. Crazy when you see the fries are higher in calories.

I’d go for that, a Coke Zero or 7up free and try and limit how many fries you eat. Try and fill up beforehand on speed snacks so you’re not ravenous when you get there.

• Advertisement

Oh brilliant! thanks so much!

Think you are right in forget SW rules and just pick lowest calorie to limit damage!

Shelli2 wrote: »
    I maintained.....by some miracle. Anyone use My fitness Pal to calorie track alongside SW?

Fantastic! Means SW and food optimising is ingrained in ya, been making good decisions without realising it!

I've installed and uninstalled MFP 3 times now. I can't hack counting calories. It sends me into a panic because it compels me to deprive myself as much as possible, use the bare minimum cals, a race to the bottom. It makes me so unnaturally anxious. Plus, the nagging notifications "hey don't you think you should do X?" is insta-heat with me, lol!

Buuuuut I do tot up the calories of some meals I have regularly just to see what I'm actually consuming, if there's some smarter substitutions with free foods (like the 20 calorie "slim pasta"), that kind of thing :) How are you finding it?

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Probably a very silly question BUT any ideas of whats the best of a bad lot in supermacs?

Thanks for that Soz - I'd go for the chicken breast piece, regular burger and diet drink. All in all 570-ish cals. I know if I had a smaller bit of chicken I wouldn't be satisfied and would eat something much worse!

Can I pitch going to KFC instead? Order 1 piece chicken (6 syns) + 2 corn (free) + BBQ beans (free) + diet drink (free) + boiled rice (free) from the Chinese next door? Boom 6 syns and you've had KFC! Yeah!

...I did it twice last week and had a 3lb loss on Tues :)

I’m very much on and off at the moment. Second MRI done and luckily I’ve enough medical people around me to know that it’s not MS.

Hope you get an answer sooner than later. Great job fighting the good fight. Health comes first, you know how to get it off. Rooting for you!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Fantastic! Means SW and food optimising is ingrained in ya, been making good decisions without realising it!

I've installed and uninstalled MFP 3 times now. I can't hack counting calories. It sends me into a panic because it compels me to deprive myself as much as possible, use the bare minimum cals, a race to the bottom. It makes me so unnaturally anxious. Plus, the nagging notifications "hey don't you think you should do X?" is insta-heat with me, lol!

Buuuuut I do tot up the calories of some meals I have regularly just to see what I'm actually consuming, if there's some smarter substitutions with free foods (like the 20 calorie "slim pasta"), that kind of thing :) How are you finding it?

I can imagine it can easily become a fixation alright. I'm bad enough tracking syns!

It's a bit tedious, all the weighing and measuring, and I'm finding some of my go to SW meals difficult to track because I'd just do a big family pot with a million variations depending on what veg is to hand etc. Bolognese would be a perfect example.
    Plus some of my meals which are fully on plan SW are high calorie and pushing me way over daily limit?
    I'm only tracking since Monday, so maybe it'll get easier.
    One huge benefit is that I'm much more aware of portion sizes, and genuinely reducing carbs because I'm weighing them and increasing speed to fill up the plate with low calorie foods.

I'm going to keep it up for this week and probably next week to see what the benefit is to the scales anyway. I've a party on Saturday to go to, the host is on SW and is doing a SW friendly BBQ, so no issues there. But I'm not counting my drinks, I so very very rarely get out these days between hospital visits that I really just need to let my hair down.

I have a wedding on 2nd August and I have my eye on a beautiful dress, I'm just barely about fitting back into my size 14 jeans, so I'd love to get enough off to be comfortable in a size 14 by then.

Thanks for that Soz - I'd go for the chicken breast piece, regular burger and diet drink. All in all 570-ish cals. I know if I had a smaller bit of chicken I wouldn't be satisfied and would eat something much worse!

Can I pitch going to KFC instead? Order 1 piece chicken (6 syns) + 2 corn (free) + BBQ beans (free) + diet drink (free) + boiled rice (free) from the Chinese next door? Boom 6 syns and you've had KFC! Yeah!

...I did it twice last week and had a 3lb loss on Tues :)

I've always avoided KFC, I wont in future!
    Shelli2 wrote: »
    I can imagine it can easily become a fixation alright. I'm bad enough tracking syns!

It's a bit tedious, all the weighing and measuring, and I'm finding some of my go to SW meals difficult to track because I'd just do a big family pot with a million variations depending on what veg is to hand etc. Bolognese would be a perfect example.
    Plus some of my meals which are fully on plan SW are high calorie and pushing me way over daily limit?
    I'm only tracking since Monday, so maybe it'll get easier.
    One huge benefit is that I'm much more aware of portion sizes, and genuinely reducing carbs because I'm weighing them and increasing speed to fill up the plate with low calorie foods.

I'm going to keep it up for this week and probably next week to see what the benefit is to the scales anyway. I've a party on Saturday to go to, the host is on SW and is doing a SW friendly BBQ, so no issues there. But I'm not counting my drinks, I so very very rarely get out these days between hospital visits that I really just need to let my hair down.

I have a wedding on 2nd August and I have my eye on a beautiful dress, I'm just barely about fitting back into my size 14 jeans, so I'd love to get enough off to be comfortable in a size 14 by then.

I tried the calorie counting, it's too much to do with everything on a day to day basis but I do try weigh pasta & rice. When I started doing this I was shocked at how many portions I was eating!
    I have a little dome shape bowl & I know that when full it equals one portion of rice. Pasta on the other hand is my weakness!!
    I make my boyfriends lunch for him in the evenings (I'd vary pasta, pesto, tomato & chicken or pasta, tuna corn & mayo) I usually make enough pasta to last a few days & leave it plain in a zip lock bag in the fridge. I'm always picking at it though :o
    The fact that pasta is "free" on SW I justify it but since weighing I portions I am more aware & try not to snack on it!

I've a wedding the end of August too that I'm trying to get into a dress for!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Larded on 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Very disappointed. It takes me back months.

Admittedly I am marking exams, so fairly inactive recently but I was hardly Sonia O'Sullivan to begin with. Have been on a couple of antibiotics, that's the only thing out of the ordinary that has gone on.
    Certainly haven't eaten an extra, what would it be, 15k extra calories over the 2 weeks?

Do antibiotics have much of an effect? Flucloxacillin followed by Augmentin. I don't see anything listed in the leaflets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

spurious wrote: »
    Larded on 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Very disappointed. It takes me back months.

Admittedly I am marking exams, so fairly inactive recently but I was hardly Sonia O'Sullivan to begin with. Have been on a couple of antibiotics, that's the only thing out of the ordinary that has gone on.
    Certainly haven't eaten an extra, what would it be, 15k extra calories over the 2 weeks?

Do antibiotics have much of an effect? Flucloxacillin followed by Augmentin. I don't see anything listed in the leaflets.

Maybe it’s the heat? Or did you drink loads of water before weighing?

Millem wrote: »
    Maybe it’s the heat? Or did you drink loads of water before weighing?

I don't know. My ankles are very swollen, but that's partly due to some other meds I'm o. Have booked a blood test in a couple of weeks just in case anything else is going on.

spurious wrote: »
    Larded on 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Do antibiotics have much of an effect? Flucloxacillin followed by Augmentin. I don't see anything listed in the leaflets.

Antibiotics can cause bloating, and the change of gut bacteria can give ya cravings for snacks and that. I'd be surprised it going into the second week though. Are your socks leaving big impressions on your ankles? Just I'm case of dehydration -- try get 2L+ of water a day, esp if ur sitting down.

Also if you're not used to a certain food (like alcohol or a takeout meal) the resulting calories/saltiness really does a number on your water levels! Esp. if u haven't warranted such a gain. Fight fire with fire, get the water into you :)

• Advertisement

Haven't been keeping up with my water, to be honest. Will see what happens once this lot of tablets are finished. Thanks all.

If your ankles are swollen, that’s a result of fluid being retained so that’s likely to cause some gain. Try not to get too disheartened - while you’re ill things are going to be a bit off in terms of weight gain and fluid retention. When you’re back to yourself it should all balance out so don’t be too hard on yourself.

I was tracking things on MFP for a few weeks too and found it helped my accountability. I’m not attending a group anymore so MFP gave me the accountability I needed. I HATE counting calories and find it all a bit tedious but it was handy in keeping on top of portion sizes and things like that.

Week 5 back on it -0.5lbs
    Total loss in 5 weigh-in's -12lbs

Surprised I lost anything this week, had a heavy weekend of food & drink + its star week.

I'm not normally a big drinker but I've had something on each weekend since starting back on plan, this will be my first weekend that I wont be drinking. I'm planning on being 100% on plan for the week... No drink & going easy on the syns!
    I'm off to Portugal in 6 weeks & I'd love to be back at target by then, I've only 9.5lbs to go so it's definitely do-able if I keep at it!

That's great sinister kid! Also having a goal to strive for over the next few weeks, that's brilliant. Will u be going off plan on holiday or can u cook yourself there?

That's great sinister kid! Also having a goal to strive for over the next few weeks, that's brilliant. Will u be going off plan on holiday or can u cook yourself there?

My 100% on plan dropped to 90% lastnight when my boyfriend brought me out to platform pizza in Bray for dinner!
    It was delicious but I felt ****e after.. its amazing how quickly your body adjusts to being on plan.

I wont be on plan for holidays but I'll try make better decisions... I know we will prob eat dinner out most days but I'll make sure i have breakfast & lunch stuff in the apartment...
    Fresh berries & youghrt for breakfast & something suitable for lunch/snacking in the fridge.... plenty of hard boiled eggs, lunchmeats, tomatoes, peppers & salad.
    There is a lidl or aldi 5 min from where we are staying so I'll go shops & stock up!

Got the all clear for the moment and after a very indulgent 24hr celebration I’ve got my mojo back and I’m on the bandwagon and enjoying it. Honestly it’s such a relief to be back eating proper food.

I’m cheating sw a little or rather working around them. I signed up to slimming world online to try out their app. It’s stupidly expensive but because it’s distance selling I can cancel after a week unless it’s seriously helping me (and it would want to because I’m not giving up group). It’s my only gripe with slimming world, their apps etc are just not a patch on weight watchers ones but I do prefer their plan

Got the all clear for the moment and after a very indulgent 24hr celebration I’ve got my mojo back and I’m on the bandwagon and enjoying it. Honestly it’s such a relief to be back eating proper food.

I’m cheating sw a little or rather working around them. I signed up to slimming world online to try out their app. It’s stupidly expensive but because it’s distance selling I can cancel after a week unless it’s seriously helping me (and it would want to because I’m not giving up group). It’s my only gripe with slimming world, their apps etc are just not a patch on weight watchers ones but I do prefer their plan

Why the hell isn't that app available for all members?!

Why the hell isn't that app available for all members?!

I’ve been annoying their ****e asking that question. Supposedly it will eventually be rolled out but no sign of it yet

I figured they just hadn't developed an app yet... the fact that they have it & just dont allow access is annoying!!

I just bought ab instant pot £79 in the prime day sale!

• Advertisement

I figured they just hadn't developed an app yet... the fact that they have it & just dont allow access is annoying!!

I just bought ab instant pot £79 in the prime day sale!

Oh I love my instant pot! Did myself some rice pudding last night. Had some for breakfast with fruit instead of yoghurt. Super indulgent for my hex a

Mirrorwall delighted for you! Hope you are feeling great now with that weight off your shoulders.

That app looks great, its definitely one of the SWs biggest downfalls that there is no tracking app.

Can I ask where ye got your target weight? Or is it maybe only given to you when you're somewhere close to it? It hasn't been mentioned to me at all

Oh I love my instant pot! Did myself some rice pudding last night. Had some for breakfast with fruit instead of yoghurt. Super indulgent for my hex a
    I'm actually too excited to get it... I was looking up recipes lastnight, risotto in 6 mins!!

If ye are buying something in the prime sales will u link it? I've a slow cooker but don't really use it.

I have risotto at least once a week since I got it. I love risotto but never had the time to be standing over it before now.

Jaykhunter this is the instant pot. Its an electric pressure cooker and its great value in the sale. I paid over 100 pounds sterling in a sale for mine.

Meeeee79 yeah I'm so much more relaxed now. Been perfectly on track now since Saturday.

A little twitchy with maxed syns already tonight but listening to a new podcast Balance365. I'm not one for podcasts generally tbh and I've no intention of giving up slimming world right now but some of the discussion does make me think about my wording and what I say to myself in my head. Like simple things like I would say "I can't have that, I don't have the syns" or "I'm not allowed that" to myself rather than "I choose not to have some" or "I'm actually not hungry for that". The decision isn't owned by me really, its slimming world that prevents me from having it when really it needs to be me deciding for myself that I want or don't want it. I'm not sure if that makes sense. It makes sense in my head.

And its also making me think about how I word being on slimming world around my kids. I want this to be healthy eating for the long term and for the family. Not full on restriction with rebounds on and off the wagon and all that entails.

Sounds like you've had some milestone epiphanies that will ensure your success in the long run Mirrorwall! Kick some butt this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Can you do SW completely online? Work commitments are getting in the way and all I want is the app, a bit of a chat with a consultant once a week, and a weigh in...

never_mind wrote: »
    Can you do SW completely online? Work commitments are getting in the way and all I want is the app, a bit of a chat with a consultant once a week, and a weigh in...

You can! It's not how SW want you to do it (like getting a low-resolution PDF of your awards) because they value image Therapy and the whole group dynamic for motivation, but it is a (surprisingly expensive) option if u don't want to go to class. (class is €9/week, online is €25/month) There is also an exclusive SW planner app only for online users but it has a poor Google Play rating.

Good news today! New shiny!

gXITtCs.jpg

This last half stone has taken forever! But just keep plugging away :) Something I found success with is eating your fill at meal times, so you're not snacking during the day. Also spending 3-5 syns on meals to make them more delicious, rather than hoarding syns all day to splurge at night time. Way too easy to blow past your 15 (or 25) in minutes! That's more enduring SW rather than embracing it, if you get me! Keep on fighting the good fight, we'll all get there in the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Incredible work, Jay. Absolutely fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Congratulations jaykhunter! Seeing that has given me motivation for the week ahead

• Advertisement
Advertisement