Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire rated down lights and LED dimmers

Options
  • 28-08-2017 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the regs for fire rated down lights? I'm having spots fitted upstairs and down. There's a 30cm void above the ceiling upstairs, do the spots need to be covered? The downstairs ceiling void has rockwool insulation, which I'm presuming will need the spots covered/enclosed.

I also need some advice regards dimming LED GU-10 spots. Is there anything I need to look out for? Does the dimmer have to be a trailing edge dimmer?

I'm using Click Mode Minigrid system, will their dimmers suit the job?

It's hard getting info from the electrician as he just wants to get the job done as quick as possible and keeps telling me products don't exist to avoid having to fit them!

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Effects wrote:
    Can anyone tell me the regs for fire rated down lights? I'm having spots fitted upstairs and down. There's a 30cm void above the ceiling upstairs, do the spots need to be covered? The downstairs ceiling void has rockwool insulation, which I'm presuming will need the spots covered/enclosed.

All spots should be covered with covers to prevent insulation lying on top of them. You could also use fire rated spots.
    Effects wrote:
    I also need some advice regards dimming LED GU-10 spots. Is there anything I need to look out for? Does the dimmer have to be a trailing edge dimmer?

Not all led bulbs are dimmable need to make sure you get dimmable type and there is also specific dimmer switches for these.
    Effects wrote:
    I'm using Click Mode Minigrid system, will their dimmers suit the job?

Click do both dimmable bulbs and dimmer switches for led just ask suppliers for the correct type.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

EHP wrote: »
    All spots should be covered with covers to prevent insulation lying on top of them. You could also use fire rated spots.

Not all led bulbs are dimmable need to make sure you get dimmable type and there is also specific dimmer switches for these.

Click do both dimmable bulbs and dimmer switches for led just ask suppliers for the correct type.

I'm going with the fire rated ones downstairs, where the insulation is above them.
    Upstairs is a void so should be fine with the open type.

I had looked at Robus Emerald lamps. Dimmable type where they are needed.

I've found it hard to get definitive information on dimmers and LEDs.
    Supplier said try the Click ones to see if they work.

Four of the lights are a built in LED type by Saxby and supplier recommended to use with Varilight dimmer or MK. I'm not sure how well these fit into the Click Mode Minigrid plate.

Electrician already cut out the spots before I made the selection on the lights, leaving the cutouts too small. I'd have preferred if he'd waited until the decision on the spots was made, like I'd asked. At least he didn't cut them too big.

Do I need to have separate intumescent hoods, as specced by the architect if the down lighters are fire rated?

Hoods https://www.steelcitylighting.co.uk/collections/intumescent-fire-hoods

Lights http://www.ledgrouprobus.com/catalogue/l3/product?item_id=RF201-01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

Effects wrote: »
    I'm going with the fire rated ones downstairs, where the insulation is above them.
    Upstairs is a void so should be fine with the open type.

4 Ensure there is at least 100mm of free space around and 50mm above the
    luminaire. Do not cover the luminaire with thermal insulation. Place transformer
    300mm from luminaire to avoid overheating
    thats taken from the installation manual for the fire rated ones. and you will need hoods for the open type to keep the fire rating of the ceiling for the building regs. thats why architect is specifying them. also what air tightness measures are you taking with the down-lights . if you do nothing cold air will by pass your insulation and piss into your rooms.

dathi wrote: »
    Also what air tightness measures are you taking with the down-lights . If you do nothing cold air will by pass your insulation and piss into your rooms.

Whole house is air tight so should be fine. Warm roof method, flat roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Get the insulated fire rated fittings. Lots of posts about them here. Aurora lighting are one of many options

Advertisement