Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for surge protection on multiple devices around the house

Options
  • 28-08-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I've recently had a power supply blow for a piece of electronic equipment. The manufacturer is recommending an "earth fault breaker" to the line.

Is this something "special" on top of the normal trip switches I have in my distribution board?

I have some devices (CCTV, broadband etc) connected to a UPS which has surge protection but a lot of other devices are not protected in that they are just plugged into standard sockets around the house. How should I go about protecting these without spending a fortune on multiple UPS's?

NOTE: I have some high amp devices in the house (Electric car pulling 30A continuous for 2-3hrs daily and a Heat pump with a soft starter pulling, I think, ~20A on startup). These may also be playing a part (I dont know). The house is less than 5yrs year old.

What do the good folks on this forum recommend for protecting sensitive electronic equipment around a house?
    A search of the forum only threw up very old threads so I'd like to get current wisdom please.

Comments

Advertisement