Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance/ running kids classes

Options
  • 28-08-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I am looking for advice regarding starting a business from my home. I am looking at the possibility of running kids cookery classes. I'm just wondering would I need to be haccp certified, and any recommendations on insurance company's. Many thanks Aine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Re HACCP certification, I would imagine you would need something, yes. For B&B you can do a cheap, online course, but I'm not so sure about classes.

On the insurance front, good luck. I wanted to run sewing classes for children and had absolutely no joy. It was difficult enough to get public liability insurance to teach adults. "Oh, but someone might cut themselves with a scissors ..." I tried to argue that it was more likely that a B&Ber might slip in the shower (and the insurers were fine with that). I eventually managed to get cover for adult learners on the basis that they were using their own equipment.

There's also the issue of police vetting. I'm not familiar with the Irish system, but I looked into it briefly and came to the conclusion that, as I'm a dressmaker and not specifically engaged in children's activities, I fell into something of a grey area. On the other hand, if you are running children's cookery classes as a principal activity, that might be something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Insurance for this is not difficult if you go to the right places. It can be gotten for from as little as €200 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Chiorino wrote: »
    Insurance for this is not difficult if you go to the right places. It can be gotten for from as little as €200 a year.
    You're probably right. However, we don't know how often the OP is thinking of running her classes, how many kids she plans on teaching, or how much she intends to charge. In my case, I was looking at small 'summer camp' type classes, and a €200 insurance premium would have made them uneconomic.

As it is, my entire household and business combined insurance is 'only' €550 annually - covering buildings, household contents, dressmaking business, public liability, and the stock for my online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Halpin81

Thanks for the reply. I have a few places getting a quote out to me in the next day or 2. I am fully haccp qualified etc etc. I would be looking to do 1 class a week 10 kids max. For 2 hours.
    What insurance company would you recommend? Yes I was thinking I would need to be guarda vetted. I have that already for my own current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

PM Sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Halpin81 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have a few places getting a quote out to me in the next day or 2. I am fully haccp qualified etc etc. I would be looking to do 1 class a week 10 kids max. For 2 hours.
    What insurance company would you recommend? Yes I was thinking I would need to be guarda vetted. I have that already for my own current job.

Have you got a copy of your Garda Vetting Approval? You should, by law, re-apply separately for your new business.

I use bizbroker.ie for PL insurance. Cost will probably depend on your anticipated turnover.

Advertisement