Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timber kids climbing frame

• 28-08-2017 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I am going to have a go at build a simplistic version of the attached picture.

Wondering what the best type of wood would be to use for this and best bolts screws to use to keep it secure.

Im a complete DIY newbie!

Im not going to do the slide.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Budget is important eith choice of wood too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Beech is traditionally used in kids toys as it doesn't splinter. However, I've never seen Beech faced ply in this country. Otherwise I'd shell out for a good grade Baltic birch ply . The fixings depend on the design and must be safe. I think I'd look for stainless steel fixings to avoid rusty screw heads down the road.
    That's a formidable challenge for a noobie - you would need an accurate table saw and a router for all those circles if you are going to include them.Have a search for a set of plans which will make life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

Personally I'd use ply and planned timber from builder providers ( the only budget friendly option ).

Sand it well with up to 220 grit and cover everything with thick layer of varnish few times, test a piece see how it goes this should reduce splintering.

Screws are cheaper than bolts make sure you sink in all the screws, use bolts only where more strength is needed, rust shouldn't be a problem if climber it kept indoors.

Finally look for a bit simpler design, calculate all the diameters you'll need if you don't have table saw to rip them.

Get yourself a drill, good hand saw and the sander which is a must here, router would do a massive job helping you to round up all the edges although may not be necessary if you avoid those circles, some can be done with sander.

Otherwise improvise and use whatever you have ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

thanks for good advise guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you're budget allows use birch ply, same as in the pictures, will cost €50/65 per sheet in comparison to regular ply @ € 25/30 , try woodworkers in Harold's Cross for price's.

Advertisement