Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a handicap, looking to try some open competitions

Options
  • 28-08-2017 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

So I finally got my 3 cards done and a handicap from my club (off 20). Every time I have played with a member they have had various pointers (or rules that some golfers will be sticklers for) or tips about playing in a open, various dos and don'ts.

So what tips would you all give for playing in my first open?

Also wondering when I should pick up and just continue on to the next hole to keep speed of play up. Playing off 20 would mean:
    par 3 = 3 strokes, +1 for handicap, +2. pick up at 6 shots
    par 4 = 4 strokes, +1 for handicap, +2. pick up at 7 shots
    par 5 = 5 strokes, +1 for handicap, +2. pick up at 8 shots

And +1 more shot on index 1 and 2 holes. This correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The world is your oyster!!

https://brsgolf.com/opencomps/ireland

Also, as for picking up (in Stableford) - I wouldn't apply any hard and fast rules. Sure, if you're out of the scoring and the group behind are waiting to play in, it's good manners to maybe pick up then......but if there's no time pressure then play each and every hole out, if you want, - if you're out of the scoring it's still a good opportunity to practice and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

+1, keep swinging, chipping, putting if you feel you aren't holding anyone up, that includes playing partners but if they're understanding you shouldn't have to.

Even if 3 off the tee, play it like it's your first ball and aim to get the best score.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I agree, don't pick up unless you are holding people up
    actually playing golf from tee to hole is the only way you will ever get better

Every time I have played with a member they have had various pointers (or rules that some golfers will be sticklers for)

Just to pick up on the comment about rules that people are sticklers for. There are only one set of rules. It would be in your interest to be as knowledgeable to as many of them as you can be or carry a copy of the rules in case of query.

There is no grey area with the rules and people pointing out rule infringements are only doing what anybody should do.

Enjoy your Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just to pick up on the comment about rules that people are sticklers for. There are only one set of rules. It would be in your interest to be as knowledgeable to as many of them as you can be or carry a copy of the rules in case of query.

There is no grey area with the rules and people pointing out rule infringements are only doing what anybody should do.

Enjoy your Golf.

Exactly :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement