Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper conversion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Tristan is the only certified MH gas installer I know of.
    I note that the cert was issued in NI - presumably that is valid here? Reason I ask is I have a mate (though over in the UK) who is a gas fitter, he does mostly domestic work fitting boilers, but has recently done his LPG qualifications. Which might come in handy in the future if I do another conversion and need him to check out and certify my work.

It's an application appropriate skillset.
    I reckon a RGI is all you need for the government.

I'd put more faith in an expert than a qualification. Same reason I wouldn't advocate auto-electric and habitation extra low voltage wiring by a sparks who only does houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd put more faith in an expert than a qualification. Same reason I wouldn't advocate auto-electric and habitation extra low voltage wiring by a sparks who only does houses.

I would agree on terms of optimal design/installation but not safety. I.e. I don't think anything done would be unsafe, although likely a better job could do be done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Shoog wrote: »
    In fact when I went and found the guidance it described the exact specifications of the copper to be used, and I think it also discussed the specs of steel.

Thanks for that Shoog, any links to said guidance?

So who are people generally getting an this to do the work and are SQIs happy to sign this off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

air wrote: »
    Thanks for that Shoog, any links to said guidance?

So who are people generally getting an this to do the work and are SQIs happy to sign this off?
    I cannot find the guidance notes, but they are the ones that were issued to gas fitters in Ireland. Its fairly much a carbon copy of the UK guidance notes.

SQI can be very picky or very relaxed. I spoke to a few before choosing mine and his inspection boiled down to a box ticking exercise. One other I tried was going to insist on crash test certs for everything that was fitted - which was ridiculous. The one I chose in the end would have only looked for the gas fitters cert to pass it - he was not going to inspect anything to do with the gas himself. I could not have got my original gas installation passed because I under-specified the drop out hole and couldn't increase it or move the gas locker. I ripped it out and got an meths stove, no need for a gas cert and the SQI had no issues with it.

Once you have the SQI approval the revenue are fairly much obliged to pass it for VRT - but that doesn't means that anyone has to insure it for you.

Shoog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You don't need a gas cert for a conversion, the smev job we put into the one endidncame with copper pipe and a rubber hose.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I don't think anything done would be unsafe, although likely a better job could do be done

That's exactly my point.

Similarly hence all coach built habitation wiring is safe and doesn't work very well.
    I'll put the violin down as soon as I see a split charge system on a stock vehicle on at least 16mm² with a larger than 20A fuse and a stock mains charger that gets a battery to SG 1.275 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You don't need a gas cert for a conversion, the smev job we put into the one endidncame with copper pipe and a rubber hose.

If a SQI doesn't insist on a gas cert, he will not remain a SQI for long. It is now the law that all gas installations are certified and it is the main responsibility of the SQI to ensure that the vehicle is complient with legislation.
    Also try getting Dolmen or Stewarts to insure you if you haven't got that magic gas cert.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe I'm wrong, we got an RGI to do ours, but I don't remember there being a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shoog wrote:
    If a SQI doesn't insist on a gas cert, he will not remain a SQI for long. It is now the law that all gas installations are certified and it is the main responsibility of the SQI to ensure that the vehicle is complient with legislation. Also try getting Dolmen or Stewarts to insure you if you haven't got that magic gas cert.

Is there a van specific cert or is an rgi installation all you need?

• Advertisement
Advertisement