Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a girls bike for school

Options
  • 28-08-2017 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

My daughter moved schools this year and will have to cycle to school now.
    Trying to find a decent bike for her and not sure which type/size to get.

Info:
    Cycle distance is 4k
    She's 5ft 0 " I imagine her max height will be 5ft 4"
    She doesn't cycle and hasn't for years but can
    She isn't super strong so needs light bike
    I worry for her on the roads, she's probably not the most aware kid ever.
    Needs to carry a school bag obv so will need rear carrier.
    Budget is probably around 300€

My personal feeling is that something will smaller wheels would be better for her
    to make it more controllable and easier for turning.

TIA.

Any other advice on her cycling needs are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

What age is she? Do you have a bike yourself? It's great if you can run the route a few times yourself or together to Get confidence and work out all the tricky bits.

Not sure about bikes around the 300 mark as much of the entry stuff starts about 500. I would go for something relatively light as you say, avoid mountain bike tyres and suspension as not needed, avoid a Dutch bike style as can be heavy. Maybe go a unisex flat handlebar hybrid. Most important she likes the look of it so she will ride it, but not too bling to get lifted. Go for a wander around some bike shops and chat about your needs. Post any links to choices before you buy if you would like a 2nd opinion

For entry hybrids giant bikes can be reliable.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/escape.3/28612/99384/

Many local bike shops will have giant and other decent brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Thanks.

Yes, I cycle every day, proud owner of CAAD 12!
    Was planing on cycling in with her for first few days just to check out crossings etc. She just changed to this school (2nd year move)
    so wasn't anticipating this purchase so I'm tring to keep price down as low as possible for now. have to get it this Sat as can't
    drop her off really for more than a week so dont have a hell of a lot of time to shop around.

All of thesee come in at around the 14kg mark, which I think should be ok.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-crossfire-1-womens-hybrid-bike

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/pendleton-somerby-hybrid-bike-red

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/apollo-virtue-womens-hybrid-bike

Have you or your partner used bike to work scheme in the last 5 years? Might be an option to get something good and keep cost down would cover you for any accessories needed too.

I find it hard to work out the good from the bad in Halfords as some of their bikes are toys rather than bikes and some are good.
    Your first link has suspension and 2nd is Dutch style which often looks better than it feels at this price.
    I trust Decathalon a lot more but that is Belfast only.
    I would consider this Giant?

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/alight.3/28581/99472/

They have a store on the long mile road. Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how far?

If she's 5ft now, she needs a bike with full size wheels (26" or 700c). My son has been cycling to school on a Halfords (Apollo) bike for the last couple of years and it's held up fine. I'd be slow to spend a huge amount of money on it unless you know it's going to be secure at the school.

Have you or your partner used bike to work scheme in the last 5 years? Might be an option to get something good and keep cost down would cover you for any accessories needed too.

Just bought my bike on BTW and I'm a single dad, so cant use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What would concern me is that none of the bikes suggested so far has lights on it.
    For a daily rider to school in bad and ever darker weather (winter is coming :D), ideally you'd want to have something with fixed lights and a (hub) dynamo

peasant wrote: »
    What would concern me is that none of the bikes suggested so far has lights on it.
    For a daily rider to school in bad and ever darker weather (winter is coming :D), ideally you'd want to have something with fixed lights and a (hub) dynamo

I intend to buy her lights, high vis, helmet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If she doesn't want a hybrid, consider the Ridgeback Avenida. There are a few models, some with hub gears, some with (rear-only) derailleur gears, so prices may come fairly close to your budget. You won't have to pay to add mudguards (or in some cases, a rear carrier). Not as theft-attractive as a sporty hybrid, either.

ridgeback-avenida-6-2017-womens-hybrid-bike-green-EV289239-6000-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Type 17 wrote: »
    If she doesn't want a hybrid, consider the Ridgeback Avenida. There are a few models, some with hub gears, some with (rear-only) derailleur gears, so prices may come fairly close to your budget. You won't have to pay to add mudguards (or in some cases, a rear carrier). Not as theft-attractive as a sporty hybrid, either.

ridgeback-avenida-6-2017-womens-hybrid-bike-green-EV289239-6000-1.jpg

This style of bike is a good suggestion. Just from experience of my own kids cycling when they were young they always struggled with multiple front chain rings. There is a lot to be said for a simple single derailleur or hub gear set up. I would definitely echo an earlier suggestion of hub dynamo with built in lights as well. Its a bit of a pain to remove lights at school everyday and remember to put them back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

OTOH, you can add hub dynamo and lights for around €150 later on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My two girls are (14 and 18) both petite and have a Frog bike and older Giant. I put panniers, decent lights and Marathon tyres on both. The frog is a nice light kids bike, the brakes and shifters are short reach and easy to handle for a young girl, and the 1x8 wide range gearing is easy to use. In terms of route, what I did with my younger girl was explore the safest route myself, look for all the danger points and then cycle it a number of times with her pointing out the danger points. The main thing is to know what to expect and how to deal with it. FWIW, the route I devised for her (Ballyboden to Stepaside) is very different to the route I'd take cycling by myself, and is made up of decent off road cycle tracks where available and quiet roads elsewhere, with all crossings done using pedestrian lights.

My older girl cycles everywhere these days if the weather is half way decent, as does her boyfriend and most of their friends.

Type 17 wrote: »

Where did you see thee for sale? I don't mind going up a bit above my original pricing. It's pretty much the same weight as this though:
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/pendleton-somerby-hybrid-bike-red
    I also like the frog, not sure where to get these either though. They also look like they'd be difficult to a rack on the back of, which I think she'll need.

Advice re' route is solid too, was planning on doing that this weekend and have been looking up safe routes on google maps.

I also like the frog, not sure where to get these either though. They also look like they'd be difficult to a rack on the back of, which I think she'll need.

I picked up the Frog from Joe Daly's in Dundrum, price was pretty much the same as the online price and it took under a week to get in. No bother fitting a rack to it, while I did it myself, I'm sure if you bought one with the bike they'd fit it for you, same for tyres. While it does bring you over budget, I would go with puncture resistant tyres as the bike lanes have plenty of broken glass and it is unlikely a young girl would be into changing puctures road side. I went for Marathon plus tyres and slime filled tubes to absolutely minimise the risk of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Where did you see these for sale? I don't mind going up a bit above my original pricing. It's pretty much the same weight as this though:
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/pendleton-somerby-hybrid-bike-red...

Well, weight isn't everything, quality is an issue too ;) (I'd rate the Ridgebacks over the Pendletons)

There is a shortage of Ridgebacks at present, as now is the end of the 2017 model year, and the 2018's are being launched in early September.

PM sent with something interesting (don't want to be accused of advertising).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Weight is hugely important IMO, particularly for someone small and light. It makes it a lot easier the lighter the bike is, and more pleasurable.

Are there any Giant rapid's or similar in a small size second hand lying about? They'd have decent bits on them, are light and good quality. Second hand you'll get something much better and lighter than otherwise.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles?words=giant%20rapid

I had a step through 'ladies' bike from age 10 till 25 (I was my full adult height at 12, I was a giant of a child!) and it was heavy, hard to get up and going and the gears always broke and got stuck in the highest gear for about 8 years :pac:
    Getting a lighter bike made a huge difference to getting about and eventually taking it up as a sport and racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In light of the post above, this is probably too big and/or too heavy (and not very "young")...but it's got everything for 200 quid

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/hercules-comfort-womens-bicycle/16497483

peasant wrote: »
    In light of the post above, this is probably too big and/or too heavy (and not very "young")...but it's got everything for 200 quid

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/hercules-comfort-womens-bicycle/16497483

Yeah, they're about 18kg, with the bag also I think too heavy.

Like the giant, but no rack, 3 front cogs, not necessary but looks good otherwise.
    Are these order online only?

Like the ridgeback, but not sure where to get them. Any stores I can see are our of stock for XS.

She doesnt want a mountain bike so Frog is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

• Advertisement

She doesnt want a mountain bike so Frog is out.

The Frog isn't a mountain bike, could be she doesn't want a bike with a crossbar and wants a more upright position? I'd tend to get her to sit on a variety of bikes and try them out before buying. The bike she thinks she'd like because of visual appearance may be very different to the bike she'd want to actually ride on a daily basis. This could end up being the difference between an enjoyable cycling commute and a bike left to go rusty in a corner of the shed.

Sorry, that's probably more clear a description. She's prefer upright and no fat tires.

I'm going increase the budge and look at getting maybe the Giant linked earlier or something circa 400€ in total inc pannier rack.
    I think that should be possible.

Anybody know where I'd get a Ridgeback or giant in a shop I can walk in to? Need to get something this Sat, not sure if Giant have a walk in store in Dublin.

Giant have a huge shop on the Long Mile Road.

A giant would be a lighter and better bike than a Ridgeback IMO, and have better resale value if needs be:
    http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-IE/

Nee

Nice one, will head up there so. Do they let you take it for a spin do you think?

Raleigh's aren't the best quality, and the groupset on that isn't great on them either.
    You also definitely don't need any travel on a commuter either.

nee wrote: »
    Giant have a huge shop on the Long Mile Road.

A giant would be a lighter and better bike than a Ridgeback IMO, and have better resale value if needs be:
    http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-IE/

+1 on this, my wife's bike currently taken over by my eldest daughter is an earlier version of the alight and has been on the go for 10 years now with minimal maintenance needed. (Cables, chain, brake blocks). The version with the rack and mudguards on sale for €391 would be a nice commuter which should last you daughter for years. As is often repeated here, buy a good lock with it.

smacl wrote: »
    +1 on this, my wife's bike currently taken over by my eldest daughter is an earlier version of the alight and has been on the go for 10 years now with minimal maintenance needed. (Cables, chain, brake blocks). The version with the rack and mudguards on sale for €391 would be a nice commuter which should last you daughter for years. As is often repeated here, buy a good lock with it.

Are mudguards an a rack worth 60€ extra do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are mudguards an a rack worth 60€ extra do you think?
    If it means you don't have to fit them yourself, yes!

Advertisement