Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MediaService Grrrr

Options
  • 28-08-2017 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some help to get rid of a PITA app that is throwing up adds for apps I don't want on my Bush 8 Android tablet. We are running android 5.0.1 Kernel 3.10.54+. The app is called MediaService. It is downloaded and can be uninstalled but it gets reinstalled as soon as I connect to d'internet.

It comes back fully installed and running and gives itself a truck-load of permissions, the most annoying of which is 'draw over other apps' At the bottom of the permissions screen is a line that says 'com.google.eMediaService.backservice'.
    I assume that this is where it is getting these dozy adds to annoy me with.

The adds are really well designed for maximum nuisance value. They pop up all over the place but mainly in the notifications area. The reject and accept radio buttons are really close together and if you swipe right, the add assumes you want to download the app.

So any help would be gratefully received to rid myself of this infliction short of the Uncle Dave treatment (check him out on youtube) video which I am currently contemplating.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has the tab been modified at all?

Its very likely that add service is being installed by another package.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Thanks Ed.

Not sure what you mean by modified. Rooted? No.

There is only one app that qualifies. I installed Kodi shortly after getting the tab because it was an easy way to get to my samba shares. Now that I have Total Commander with the LAN extension I don't really need Kodi. I deleted Kodi about an hour ago but the dreaded MediaService came back after a reboot. Mind you I have not seen any adds yet.

Factory reset next?.

The ads are back. Trying to load some handy app ( from an 'unknown' source) that need permission to do everything. :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Sounds like you might have Malware.
    Try a number of the free virus and malware checkers from the play store.
    I use WA Security.

If that doesn't work then perhaps factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just cleaned an S5 of similar. Universal remote app, 3rd party, installed by Samsung as A SYSTEM APP. For f'cks sake. HTC and Samsung both clueless when it comes to end user security.

• Advertisement

WA security doesn't seem to have a free download so I looked around for something similar. Avast wanted all sorts of permissions I didn't think were justified so I tried Malwarebytes. It found nothing. No this looks like a system app that allows third parties to blow adds at you at will.

Meanwhile I now have a VPN firewall installed called NoRoot Firewall. I have isolated MediaService and the Android System from d'internet. The latter just as a precaution. So far no adds. Hurray.

Now having fun deciding which google apps to enable without breaking desired functions. So far Gboard and the Google app are denied access without complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gameranony

mbur wrote: »
    WA security doesn't seem to have a free download so I looked around for something similar. Avast wanted all sorts of permissions I didn't think were justified so I tried Malwarebytes. It found nothing. No this looks like a system app that allows third parties to blow adds at you at will.

Meanwhile I now have a VPN firewall installed called NoRoot Firewall. I have isolated MediaService and the Android System from d'internet. The latter just as a precaution. So far no adds. Hurray.

Now having fun deciding which google apps to enable without breaking desired functions. So far Gboard and the Google app are denied access without complaint.

Hi just to let you know i had the same issue this is a preinstalled virus on Android read up about it as it affects a few androids

read this
    https://blog.avast.com/android-devices-ship-with-pre-installed-malware

Advertisement